Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is, whats better an IS, ES, or GS...? i have a cousin who drives a 98 GS who he thinks is the Shi*... everytime he comes over to my place with his ride, he always looks at my mines and start hating on it. telling me that i should of just got an GS cause its a higher model. I dont know if he's foreals, jealous cause i got a IS, or just plain hating cause my 02 IS looks better... if im correct, the ES model has a lot of transmission problem right...? before i bought my IS thats what i found out about the ES. so i decided to go with the is, besides i never really like the ES anyways. Out of the three, I never really looked into which one has better quality and performance, or should is more perferable to people... so what is really better?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
The GS300 has a 2jz-ge motor. So the GS is just a fatter version of the IS300.
GS400 is a V8. Which one does your friend have?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, yeah he has the GS400... its a V8 than! damn thats what he means huh...
baggin on my ride... i still think the IS300 look better...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Why should you even care what other people think? You are the one who's enjoying your ride, not other people....or did you spend money on your car for others to enjoy? Go figure.

·
Registered
339 Posts
you sound like u're still pretty young. who gives a fuck what he thinks. fact of the matter is the different classes appeal to different people. for the younger crowd (i.e. you and your cousin), the IS is preferred over the GS so it's all good man =]

·
Registered
52 Posts
The GS might be more expensive but it doesn't look that good (IMO) Our local dealer called me up when they got a GS in because he knew I was looking for an IS. I hung the phone up. The GS is more 45-65 year old womanish. Besides, you have nothing to prove to that guy. If you did then you would have bought some 6k CivicSi Hatchback and modded the shit out of it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
GS is strickly VIP to me. IS is more sporty.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i have to admit the 98 GS is pretty fuckin hot.

but the is300 is way hotter.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
with gas prices going higher everyday... you should rub that in his face... who cares anyways... we are all a Lexus family :approve:

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
The ES is a FWD transaxle. It drives like a FWD car, with all it's advantages and disadavantages. I think Lexus' own figures show that the average ES buyer is 61. The ride is geared towards comfort.

The IS/GS share the same platform. The are front enigine, rear drive longitudinally mounted engines, with almsot 50/50 weight balance. AWD is optional. Needless to say the driving dynamics are notch above. The GS is bigger heavier and roomier that the IS. Sort of a 3 series vs. 5 series thing. The average IS buyer is in their early 40s.

In short, different cars for different buyers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My brother has a GS400 and I have an IS300 but I love both Lexus. I'd agree with not caring what other people think. You bought your IS and if you like it, you wouldn't care what others thought. Plus both cars are in the Lexus family, why hate on each other.

·
Registered
164 Posts
your on an IS Forum stick with it haha. The GS is alot more luxurios and the ES is an embarresment to Lexus haha

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
with gas prices going higher everyday... you should rub that in his face... who cares anyways... we are all a Lexus family :approve:
Before you "flaunt" that fact... you should realize the GS400 gets the same mileage as a IS300... and it has 100 more hp and torque. :blush:

But both the GS and IS are great cars... but both go in different directions. the GS is more luxurious and larger in size... the IS300 is more compact, nimble and sporty.

The only thing I can see is him claiming his car is better because it's a higher model. But both are nice cars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my point is not how much i care about what he thinks, i just wasnt sure why he'd be hating just because i didnt get a GS400... cause love my IS... but now i know the big differences between the three... and i think he's just trippin because im young owning a lexus, while when he was my age a couple years ago, he was driving a 91 honda accord! haha thanks to all for explaining the differences between them three models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts