Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admin, feel free to put this somewhere else if you see fit.

For a while now, I have been researching the IS300, its engine, possible modifications. I've logged countless hours at this point, but it wasn't until tonight that I read this post

http://my.is/forums/f122/is300-slow-street-slow-track-can-echo-beat-351786/?highlight=top+speed

I was originally under the impression that these cars were decently fast and with the right modifications could be incredibly fast. However, the reason I have been looking into an IS300 is because my 2000 Celica GT was totalled. What I am looking for is a new luxury aspect, I am maturing, looking for a career soon and have changed my image into a much cleaner, mature, sharp man rather than a scruffy, american eagle model, teenager. I still love speed though. My question is, would you rather take $8k and put 2K of that into fixing the damage to a celica, and the other 6 into a turbo, more suspension, and all and all making the car a beast, or as much as a celica could be...or would you rather spend all 11K after selling ur celica and buy an IS300 Manual 5 speed, have some luxury, and understand that any modifications would have to wait until after college?

Also, a stock 5 speed IS300 on the street, could it beat a:
a) Stock Celica GT-S
b) Stock Rsx-s
c) Not get destroyed by a G35 or 350Z

I'm looking for personal experience, I already have my opinions as far as numbers go, I want to know from someone with experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
Truth is, the Celica will always be FWD. By the IS, a 3 series BMW, or a g35 coupe, or if your new career blossoms in incredible ways, by an M6 ;)

Edit:

You will get wasted by a G35. Do some searches and and se what members are putting down as far as rwhp and how much they spent. There is an enormous amount of info on these forums, especially the go faster one. Personally, I would never spend FI money on a FWD, but that's just me...

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
first 2 are true. g35's hand me my ass unless they are auto. good luck finding a 5 speed that doesnt need some work for $11k. thats gonna be hard. expect to find the most neglected 5 speeds out there (ie-squeaks and rattles, poor maintenance history, slipping clutch, crunchy gearboxes, etc). I say get a toyota or honda for about $5-6k to hold you over and save until you can get a nice car you really want.

·
Registered
346 Posts
first 2 are true. g35's hand me my ass unless they are auto. good luck finding a 5 speed that doesnt need some work for $11k. thats gonna be hard. expect to find the most neglected 5 speeds out there (ie-squeaks and rattles, poor maintenance history, slipping clutch, crunchy gearboxes, etc). I say get a toyota or honda for about $5-6k to hold you over and save until you can get a nice car you really want.
Nice suggestions, but I disagree about waiting and settling for minimum wage (by getting a 5-6k Honda or Toyota). You are at a point of your life where you may or MAY NOT enjoy cars, especially an is300, later after college. I say get the is300 now, but what he crisridebike8 said was right, you will not fine a legit/enjoyable one for 11,000$. Save $3,000 more and you will find a legit one, around 75,000+miles, excellent to fair condition. If you need more help with this, I will gladly give you advice. (Paid off $14,500 NOW for a NOW DREAM CAR >>is300<<, hope to enjoy it for 10+ years, and am enjoying it every moment while still young and in college, knowing I PAID IT OFF alone when many people disagreed about this plan of mines, including my own family.) Get it now before you live everyday like yesterday, "work again and no is300".

Celica GT-S is pretty quick. I didn't technically "raced" it, but I was racing my car to get to work ON TIME (woke up late and went 95-105 mph on the freeway), and happen to see a Celica GT-S do the same thing. So we raced to get to work faster, pretty fast car. (I am not really into racing by the way although it is fun taking your car up some days).

Enjoy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I made the switch from an Integra which I had invested $7k+ into in exchange for an IS300 with 39k*bought for $16.5k). Its a manual w/ lsd...It was a steal...one of those right place at the right time kinda things...however there have been some BIG adjustments that I have had to make. I too wanted to have that more "mature" image but with that comes $$$...Gas is about $50 a week for 300 miles to a tank vs $30 a week with 350miles on the Integra...Car payment is $330 a month vs no payment for Integra. Insurance is $800 every 6 months and property taxes around close to $500 a year...Forking out all this money can be a big shocker especially when you make $11 an hour and sometimes I think...What have I gotton myself into but at the end of the day I DO drive a Lexus and I always get comps about how nice a car it is and it is a really nice car. So I guess what you need to figure out is...What do your finances look like and are you willing to make the big step up? Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buy a IS300!! i use to have a 2000 civic si and i just wanted to go luxury then i pick up a is300 and never look back! its the best car that i wil ever have!! GL! and get a IS!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts