Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an IS300 a week ago and didn't realize it had the supra motor. Guess I should have done more research. :) I think it looks good the way it is and I have about $1500 to spend on performance parts. What would be the best way to spend it?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
it has the NA supra motor lol.

Drop it, for $500.

then a torque converter fr ur $1000 =D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well wat im doin is doin the whole NA moding thing cuz right now turbos and super chargers are a lil expensive for a high school student. So right now, i have a toyomoto header and y-pipe.(got mine for a good deal) but that would run you up around 450-500 or so then you would have to install. if your good with cars then you could install yourself but in most cases you might needed help installing. Then I have a HKS dragerII exhaust and that was around 380-400. So that puts us at a grand or so due to installing charges. You could install exhaust by urself i did it and i never touched a performance part. Then you would look into air intakes. You could go with an expensive air intake, which would be the SRT intake with racing ECU. That would be around 300 or so. Im sure you could self install that piece too, but if your not into payin alot for intake just buy a joe-z intake for 100$ self install that and use that with the TRD drop-in air filter or K&N air filter. The TRD air filter might be 75-90$ so that brings us to around 1200$. The next step your ur choosing, you could do a AFC tuning, which tunes the air and fuel mixtures. Or you could get an adjustable cam gear for 120-150$ and this part needs to be professionally installed and tuned. Or you could use 300 on little cosmetic things like aftermarket grille around 200-250$ so the last 300$ you can do ne thing u want with it.

Reactions: _DAG_

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
JHuff15 said:
I just bought an IS300 a week ago and didn't realize it had the supra motor. Guess I should have done more research. :) I think it looks good the way it is and I have about $1500 to spend on performance parts. What would be the best way to spend it?

JOE Z intake pipe = around 90 bucks
TRD drop in filter = around 55 bucks
toyomoto or HP racing header = 300 bucks
some used exhaust, (drager2, hiper, etc) = around 200 bucks
torque converter = around 900 bucks installed
-------------------------------------------------------------
just a little over 1500.

=)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Or you could go SRT intake $500, drager II $370 shipped, megan header $220 shipped, megan racing resonator pipe $50, O2 sim from O2simulator.com $50, and the rest for install.

Or if you didn't want the SRT intake, you could save about $350 if u got the JoeZ w/ K&N drop in filter and get yourself some springs or swaybars.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Altezza101 said:
Well wat im doin is doin the whole NA moding thing cuz right now turbos and super chargers are a lil expensive for a high school student. So right now, i have a toyomoto header and y-pipe.(got mine for a good deal) but that would run you up around 450-500 or so then you would have to install. if your good with cars then you could install yourself but in most cases you might needed help installing. Then I have a HKS dragerII exhaust and that was around 380-400. So that puts us at a grand or so due to installing charges. You could install exhaust by urself i did it and i never touched a performance part. Then you would look into air intakes. You could go with an expensive air intake, which would be the SRT intake with racing ECU. That would be around 300 or so. Im sure you could self install that piece too, but if your not into payin alot for intake just buy a joe-z intake for 100$ self install that and use that with the TRD drop-in air filter or K&N air filter. The TRD air filter might be 75-90$ so that brings us to around 1200$. The next step your ur choosing, you could do a AFC tuning, which tunes the air and fuel mixtures. Or you could get an adjustable cam gear for 120-150$ and this part needs to be professionally installed and tuned. Or you could use 300 on little cosmetic things like aftermarket grille around 200-250$ so the last 300$ you can do ne thing u want with it.
Yep, pretty much what I'm doing/did. I'm a HS student as well so budget is tight. Hopefully by the time I'm 18 I will have everything in my profile...about $7k of stuff.

sISp

·
Registered
238 Posts
pretty much

·
Registered
238 Posts
true that, but now the question of "should new orleans even be re-built?" is being asked around.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
i still stand by my statement, which dpatterson started to make me think about.

a torque converter will really help u off the launch, which is one of the weakets points of our car. if u eliminate this problem, then the use of other mods including exhaust, intake, headers, y pipe, etc, will be more...ii guess...useful? i mean im sure many of us can agree that the average I/Y/E cant get u off the launch that quickly at all over stock. those boltons will usually help u around after 4-5K, but definitely not anywhere near when u launch. if u put in the torque converter, u will reach already be at the optimal rev for ur bolt ons to fully help you...i bet u a stock auto IS with a torque converter will beat a stock IS w/ I/Y/E(well obviosuly correct me if im wrong). torque converter = $900-$1K installed.

Intake:$250
Exhaust:$450
YPipe: $150

= almost about $850, but u can DIY mostly.

i think my final big mod, since i will never go boost, is the torque converter. das and dpatt would be good people to consult if uve got questions about them.

good luck, and make ur decisions wisely, so u wont regret spending money on useless stuff..

what i learned recently, and really got me thinking, from my thread about sleepers:

dpatterson069 said:
2. Know what mods you like and dont like.. I was fortunate to have had a 2001 is300.. i got to know all the mods for the is300 from the beginning.. from before there were even clear front bumper lights.. lol... From discovering the pittura roof wing.. to having rare JDM fog lights, i've seen all the mods and eventually, i knew exactly what i wanted.. took a little trial and error though...

And after my accident, and then getting back into the seat of a new 05, i knew right away what had to be done.. Aero shield, and all my NA mods. Other stuff was to come later on... with some more time.

The key is to have a plan.. have some plan of what you want done and get it done.

3. Lastly, keep your car clean.. inside and out.. Your car represents you.. so represent yourself the way you want to be seen..engine bay too people.

Thats just what ive done.. but everyone can do their own thing as to how they like.

-Aaron

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
1,500 ...i'd say great start for saving for turbo........n/a mods are worthless ..if i had to do it all over again i woulda just saved for boost

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great information guys. Thanks. It's what I was looking for and I guess I will just save for another 3-6 months and get boost.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
JHuff15 said:
Great information guys. Thanks. It's what I was looking for and I guess I will just save for another 3-6 months and get boost.
it's easier said than done. just get the basic bolt ons and make your car look good (it already is stock), 'cuz if you purchased the IS hoping you'll have a street monster, tire shredding and neck snapping power, you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
serious.

ive decided to build up on what IS's dont really have: low end power.

going for the sleeper look, with just rims, and drop my car like a mofo...and just a roof spoiler maybe...and painted calipers..

but my $ will go towards mainly getting some low end power, and since im not getting boost, the low end power and torque will stay there consistently ...no turbo lag, but enough power to get through the twisties on canyons. also gona tune my suspension as much as possible...so my ride predictable and controllable.

i mean come on ...boost...everyone wants boost. its like..a game of whos richer, to afford whats bigger, or put in whats more expensive.... thats what got me out of the boost image...so i dunno...no boost, but still powerful on launches and maintaining it = my goal :D

-Aaron

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
serious.

ive decided to build up on what IS's dont really have: low end power.

going for the sleeper look, with just rims, and drop my car like a mofo...and just a roof spoiler maybe...and painted calipers..

but my $ will go towards mainly getting some low end power, and since im not getting boost, the low end power and torque will stay there consistently ...no turbo lag, but enough power to get through the twisties on canyons. also gona tune my suspension as much as possible...so my ride predictable and controllable.

i mean come on ...boost...everyone wants boost. its like..a game of whos richer, to afford whats bigger, or put in whats more expensive.... thats what got me out of the boost image...so i dunno...no boost, but still powerful on launches and maintaining it = my goal :D

-Aaron
and how exactly will you get low end power?...intake....not even worth it....exhaust? not much power but prob more low end then intake......a header....i think TE's header is made for low end but is expensive and the power you get from n/a mods is just a waste and won't be a sleeper since alot of cars will just pee pee on the IS

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
onyxaltezza said:

-Aaron
Let me get this straight ... If you had the funds for boost you wouldn't do it? But you want something powerful...

Are you just telling yourself you dont want boost because its unrealistic? No it's not a game of whose richer. People go boost for there own enjoyment. I didn't go boost to brag or talk smack. I went boost because i enjoy the IS and wanted more hp. You my friend are very confusing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
boosted_4door said:
Let me get this straight ... If you had the funds for boost you wouldn't do it? But you want something powerful...

Are you just telling yourself you dont want boost because its unrealistic? No it's not a game of whose richer. People go boost for there own enjoyment. I didn't go boost to brag or talk smack. I went boost because i enjoy the IS and wanted more hp. You my friend are very confusing.
If I had the money I would...but I don't. So therefore maybe a few N/A mods will have to make me settle. I mean as a HS it's pretty hard for me to be like some people and rack up $10k here and there. Modding cars is an expensive hobby and everyone here knows that.

sISp

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
speedisprecious said:
If I had the money I would...but I don't. So therefore maybe a few N/A mods will have to make me settle. I mean as a HS it's pretty hard for me to be like some people and rack up $10k here and there. Modding cars is an expensive hobby and everyone here knows that.

sISp
get a part time job. believe it or not but im full-time student and full-time worker.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts