Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an OEM sport design muffler and was wondering what would happen if i cut a small portion of the cannister and take out whatever is inside the cannister and weld it back up. has anyone done this before? i'm not sure what kinda sound it will make, but i'm pretty sure it will gain some horsepower since there will be no more restriction, right? i just came up with this idea because i don't have the money for a nice exhaust system and i really like how OEM sport design muffler look like. what do you guys think? let me know if this is a bad idea before i waste my nice looking muffler.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i dont think it would add much if any power. all the NA threads say that an exhaust on the IS is pretty for sound tuning. extra power in the exhaust system comes from the removal of the cats via headers or a y-pipe.

Reactions: xorb79

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think it would add much if any power. all the NA threads say that an exhaust on the IS is pretty for sound tuning. extra power in the exhaust system comes from the removal of the cats via headers or a y-pipe.
not much i agree, but it has to gain some hp like all the other axelback exhaust systems out there, right? (for exmaple, HKS Hiper)

by the way, i'm in the navy too shipmate

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so nobody has done this nor has any idea, eh?

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
sounds like you should be the pioneer and give it a try :approve:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I remember De(SophieSleeps) opened a stock exhaust cannister to remove what Lexus packs inside.

It didn't much of anything and not worth the time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember De(SophieSleeps) opened a stock exhaust cannister to remove what Lexus packs inside.

It didn't much of anything and not worth the time.
oh i should ask him/her then thanx +rep

·
Registered
99 Posts
im not saying do this but removing all restrictions from your exhaust gains you some ponies. Probably not much but a little. You would have to gut your cats and remove anything restricting your exhaust flow.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You're better off getting an electronic "cut-out" installed on the pipe right before the muffler, or where ever you want. This is a more common mod on V8 cars and turbos. If you aren't familiar with what a cut-out is, here you go. It's basically a Y shaped piece of piping that gets welded in line w/ you existing piping. The other end is capped by either a plate manually removed, or an electronically switched butterfly valve. When you open the Y pipe you basically bypass the muffler and have an open exhaust. I'm sure it'll be very loud though. The plus side is when you're done racing you close the cut-out, and you no have a quiet, stock exhaust. If done right, you get the best of both worlds, and the Police won't always be giving you the evil eye. Plus it's much cheaper than many of the $500 muffler systems.

Here is an example of a manual cut-out. Sizes and prices vary, and I would recommend an electronic one so you can open and close it on the fly.
Mr. Gasket Exhaust Cut-Outs - summitracing.com

here's an electronic one: Thunder Racing - Exhaust Cut-Outs

·
Registered
188 Posts
here's an even better illustration. QTP - QTEC Electric Cutout

Remember, you can place it anywhere you want. Right before the muffler, or before the last cat in the Y-pipe, or right after the Y-pipe before the pipe curves. The more forward you go, the louder its gonna get, and if it in the middle of the car your gonna hear and feel it more too. With a quick search it seems like a complete electronic cut-out will run you about $200. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the cat-back piping is 2.5".

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the information, but that wasn't the information i was looking for. +rep for looking out though (just to let you guys know that i've had almost the best NA setup possible. srt, mazzuri, two of the best exhaust systems, etc.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hear ya. I just thought it could be an alternative to a stripped muffler with the same result.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
the power of upgrading to an axle back comes from larger diameter piping not the muffler....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the power of upgrading to an axle back comes from larger diameter piping not the muffler....
what's the size of our stock piping? i thought it was 60mm. so does HKS hiper and all other exhaust systems for bolt-ons, am i wrong?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have thought about performing this mod, and still might on the spare muffler I have. The original muffler is "chambered" and the gas has to navigate from the incoming and outgoing parallel pipes, if you cut a hole in the backing plate and remove material from the end of the outgoing pipe (the one with the tip attached), that should reduce restriction.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have thought about performing this mod, and still might on the spare muffler I have. The original muffler is "chambered" and the gas has to navigate from the incoming and outgoing parallel pipes, if you cut a hole in the backing plate and remove material from the end of the outgoing pipe (the one with the tip attached), that should reduce restriction.
awesome! +rep

1 - 16 of 16 Posts