Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 08 is250 rwd its on a lease for 3 years i am going to return it after that. what type of gas should i use? cheapest or the good stuff?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Go to the following link for Top Tier Gas. They have some info on fuels that have the minimum amount of detergents to prevent the buildup of gunk on your intake/exhaust valves, fuel injectors, and the like.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would just stick with premium gas with any of the top tier recommended stations from that linked website. I'm thinking that after the lease, another new owner will take possession of it and would want it in top condition.

Unless, you're a rebel and don't care otherwise, use Arco, hehe. Cheapest gas I've seen. Again, they're not rated that high at all from a lot of people I talk to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
91 octane - not because I want to, but because thats what the engine requires according to the owner's manual....and it would be a safe presumption to say that 91 is probably mentioned in your car's manual as well
But if the book hadnt said so, then I damn sure wouldnt be letting myself pay the highest price for gas each time I do fill up....that in itself is enough of a headache for me to keep some Advil in my glove compartment

·
Registered
3 Posts
i actually put 94octane gas from Sunoco... trust me its better.... ull end up payin an extra 10$ for every 500KM... totally worth the money... plus u get better performance... and to be honest with u... if u leased it... u have 20K everyyear... hypothetically sayin that u have to fill up every 500KM, u need to fill up 40 times a year roughly... payin 10 dollers extra would be about $400 a year... im pretty sure, if u can afford a lexus... u can afford an extra $400!!!
honestly i have an audi a4 with major turbo upgrader, i can only put 94octane in it and i have to fill it up every 300KM... and the gas tank is bigger by like ~20 litter!!! so there it goes... im pretty screwed!!! lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
i actually put 94octane gas from Sunoco... trust me its better.... ull end up payin an extra 10$ for every 500KM... totally worth the money... plus u get better performance... and to be honest with u... if u leased it... u have 20K everyyear... hypothetically sayin that u have to fill up every 500KM, u need to fill up 40 times a year roughly... payin 10 dollers extra would be about $400 a year... im pretty sure, if u can afford a lexus... u can afford an extra $400!!!
honestly i have an audi a4 with major turbo upgrader, i can only put 94octane in it and i have to fill it up every 300KM... and the gas tank is bigger by like ~20 litter!!! so there it goes... im pretty screwed!!! lol
They have got you brainwashed. you do not need 94.

In my area of PA, it's mostly 87/89/93. Some stations also have 94, some have 92 instead of 93. I'd love it if they all had a 91 middle grade.

·
Registered
799 Posts
91 is your middle grade? Damn, in Colorado 91 is our Premium :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sadly I live in Lubbock and for some reason we can pump oil but not get any decently refined gasoline. I usually try and find 90 (as that's the premium here :suspiciou ) sometimes I even have to settle for 89. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
i fill premium 92 octane (91 is the least id recommend, personally)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It kind of depends on where you live. There is some kind of scientific formula, but it has to with the compression ratio of the engine, volume and all that. I live in Colorado, so I'm at almost 6,000 feet, which means thinner air and lower compression. At sea level my IS250 puts out 204 horsepower, but becuase of the thinner air it puts out about 20% less, the upside is that I can probably run it on 89 octane (going to give it a shot, haven't tried yet), since the compression is lower due to thinner air. I'd say work your way down until you start to notice some hesitation in the accelerating, or worst case a knock, then bump back up to the next grade, every car's a little different.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got a 08 is250 rwd its on a lease for 3 years i am going to return it after that. what type of gas should i use? cheapest or the good stuff?
Leasing...go 89.
I would.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would do what the car says. The better the gas the better the gas mileage. Whats 2 more dollars for better gas when you pay 4 bucks a gallon to begin with. Whats $55 as apposed at $52 or $53. You choose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The latest Consumer Reports (July 2008, page 48) says, "But octane grades don't represent 'good, better, best'; they simply measures a fuel's resistance to preignition (pinging or knocking), a condition in which gasoline burns uncontrollably in the engien's combustion chambers, possibly leading to engine damage. The higher the octane rating, the more resistance it provides." Today's engines can adjust to lower octane, but it may work a little harder or get less mileage, but probably not noticable to most drivers. If the manual says premium gas "recommended" you can safely use regular unleaded. If your high performance and luxury car manual says "required" then use premium.

Our IS250 manual says 91 is required for optimal engine performance. If unavailable, you may use 87. Consult the dealer if you have any knocking or pinging.

I agree with the Top Tier Gas recommendations, and I only fill up at Shell and Chevron, my local top tier stations. I have been putting premium in the tank, and will continue to do so after the article, because I don't care about the extra few dollars in the cost of a tank. Percentage wise, it's getting smaller (because the price keeps going up). The price has gone up way more than the 20¢ extra for premium gas. If I were really that worried about it, I'd stop being a Lexus poser and get a used Corolla or Civic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys, I just got my 08 is 250 AWD, if the previous owner was using regular octane gas... is it ok for me to start using super?

What do you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts