Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys pretty new to the IS game. I own an Auto 03 IS300 & im wondering how far i could get in making the car faster before doing a whole engine/manual swap. I know the goto mods which are headers, exhaust, CAI, but is there anything else for an auto? Alot of the threads or things i find online are for manuals. Like for tuning aswell i dont see anything at all for an auto. Just wanted to ask incase someone out there had any info. Thanks in advance!

·
3,347 Posts
Welcome, You pretty much can do the same with an auto or stick. I would read the forum and decide what you really want. Before asking generic questions.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
That’s pretty much all the “easy” bolt ons you can do to most any car auto or manual. If you are looking for more power then you need to consider forced induction or nitrous.

Reactions: iTZAiS300

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, You pretty much can do the same with an auto or stick. I would read the forum and decide what you really want. Before asking generic questions.
yeah youre right i definitley should do a little more research. I just thought that doing stuff on a maual was different from an auto. Like i said im pretty new to this whole build game lol. Are there any things you can do to one but not the other?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s pretty much all the “easy” bolt ons you can do do most any car auto or manual. If you are looking for me power then you need to consider forced induction or nitrous.
yeah in the long run i do want to go the Forced Induction route. I was just wondering if there were any other things i could do before that to make it faster. Like you said those are the easy bolt ons i can do. Ive also read that getting an LSD would help with acclereation with the loss of top speed, since atm i have an Open differential.

·
3,347 Posts
yeah youre right i definitley should do a little more research. I just thought that doing stuff on a maual was different from an auto. Like i said im pretty new to this whole build game lol. Are there any things you can do to one but not the other?
Same stuff. Just the auto tranny will need to be built. But built can handle well into the 800 whp range. It all boils down to what you want to spend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same stuff. Just the auto tranny will need to be built. But built can handle well into the 800 whp range. It all boils down to what you want to spend.
oh okay well i honestly apprecaite the info. You dont learn if you dont ask lol. Definitely will take your advice and look more into it. Knowing that i can mod the same things on my auto like on a manual was a huge help. I apprecaite it man!

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
I mean there are cams you can use for more power N/A but honestly that’s a waste of time and money. A LSD in itself will help traction off the line but if it is the same gear ratio as the diff you have in there now, the rate of acceleration will be exactly the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean there are cams you can use for more power N/A but honestly that’s a waste of time and money. A LSD in itself will help traction off the line but if it is the same gear ratio as the diff you have in there now, the rate of acceleration will be exactly the same.
ill def take the waste of moeny and time into consideration, cause wasting money is not something id want to do lol
yeah i looked into that and saw that people go for a 4.10 or a 4.30 but idk which one to get since people always tend to say it all depends on what you want it for, but dont really go into detail on which reasons someone would get a certain one for.

·
Mr. Roo
9,877 Posts
Welcome! I was also going to say, that if you want to go turbo or something, just go with that. Don't waste money on stuff that would just be lost in the boosting anyway. NA-T on this car is a LOT of money for basically no results. I personally (as a realist) suggest that all of the mods I did to my car (intake, headers, exhaust, cams, etc) did nothing. The engine is already making its power. If you want more, you have to boost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! I was also going to say, that if you want to go turbo or something, just go with that. Don't waste money on stuff that would just be lost in the boosting anyway. NA-T on this car is a LOT of money for basically no results. I personally (as a realist) suggest that all of the mods I did to my car (intake, headers, exhaust, cams, etc) did nothing. The engine is already making its power. If you want more, you have to boost.
i really appreciate that. Its always good to learn from other poeples builds. I was just wonderin of other things i coud do for gains since i know going turbo will definitley be the big spender.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
You could realistically boost this car as cheap as $3000 if you find good deals on second hand stuff and even buy a new stand alone. It will be used stuff pieced together, but it would work.

If you are patient and willing to search around forums, OfferUp, Craigslist, etc. you can even find an intake, headers, and an exhaust on the cheap second hand. That’s where I got the intake for my car. The day I bought it, I so happened to find a DC sports intake on Craigslist in the SAME area for $100 In great condition. There are people selling headers near me for $150 and a complete cat back magnaflow exhaust for $350. That’s all decent stuff for cheap.

As far as diff ratios go. 4.10 would be a nice improvement in acceleration rate compared to what you have now. If you have a manual you have a 3.7 FD and the autos are 3.9 FD. If you plan on staying N/A for quite some time, 4.10 would benefit you the most. You will turn higher rpms on the freeway though as a trade off to quicker acceleration. 4.30 could also be done but that would be a little more extreme as I could see 4Krpm cruising annoying.

If you plan on boosting the car, just leave the rear end alone as the 3.7 or 3.9 will be better suited for boosted cars that like a little longer gearing to provide more load and being able to build and hold boost longer because the gears are longer.

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could realistically boost this car as cheap as $3000 if you find good deals on second hand stuff and even buy a new stand alone. It will be used stuff pieced together, but it would work.

If you are patient and willing to search around forums, OfferUp, Craigslist, etc. you can even find an intake, headers, and an exhaust on the cheap second hand. That’s where I got the intake for my car. The day I bought it, I so happened to find a DC sports intake on Craigslist in the SAME area for $100 In great condition. There are people selling headers near me for $150 and a complete cat back magnaflow exhaust for $350. That’s all decent stuff for cheap.

As far as diff ratios go. 4.10 would be a nice improvement in acceleration rate compared to what you have now. If you have a manual you have a 3.7 FD and the autos are 3.9 FD. If you plan on staying N/A for quite some time, 4.10 would benefit you the most. You will turn higher rpms on the freeway though as a trade off to quicker acceleration. 4.30 could also be done but that would be a little more extreme as I could see 4Krpm cruising annoying.

If you plan on boosting the car, just leave the rear end alone as the 3.7 or 3.9 will be better suited for boosted cars that like a little longer gearing to provide more load and being able to build and hold boost longer because the gears are longer.
Oh yeah definitely have the patience to look for some good deals, just have to keep looking cuz you really never know what you will find.
I do plan on boosting in the future but I’ll most likely be N/A for a good while. So I really appreciate the differential info. I’ve seen that the 4.10 was the best choice. Only reason I brought up the 4.30 is because some folks had told me that if they could’ve gotten the 4.30 they’d def go for it lol

·
3,347 Posts
Oh yeah definitely have the patience to look for some good deals, just have to keep looking cuz you really never know what you will find.
I do plan on boosting in the future but I’ll most likely be N/A for a good while. So I really appreciate the differential info. I’ve seen that the 4.10 was the best choice. Only reason I brought up the 4.30 is because some folks had told me that if they could’ve gotten the 4.30 they’d def go for it lol
Judge what you want if we meet up. My daily has a 4.30.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
848 Posts
Judge what you want if we meet up. My daily has a 4.30.
What Are cruising RPMs? (~70mph)

I won’t be switching as my wife’s car already has a LSD with the 3.9 which I’m fine with. More so for my own information so I can better help people later on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts