Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma. I have a 95 M3 with 34k miles. The extended warranty expires next Dec. I enjoy the performance of the M3, but when I look at the repair bills that I would have to pay without warranty I get nervous. I figure to sell the M3, and get an IS it would cost me prox 12k. Should I take my chances on repairs not haunting me, or go for the IS with a fresh warranty ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If my estimates are correct, an IS should be prox 32k + 2k taxes for 34k. My M3 should yield around 22k therefore the estimated 12k.

·
8,107 Posts
Unless there's something wrong with your M3 (did you mod it? Track it? accident?) you should be able to get more than $22,000 for a '95 w/ 34k miles. I'd guess you can get $25,000 if it's in excellent condition. People like the '95 M3 cause it's easier to modify than '96+ which had the OBDII which is hard to modify. Dealers won't offer much ($20k maybe), but never sell cars to a dealer.
I don't see what you expect will go wrong with your M3, find a good mechanic and it won't cost any more than a Japanese car.

Originally posted by Lumber1:
Here is my dilemma. I have a 95 M3 with 34k miles. The extended warranty expires next Dec. I enjoy the performance of the M3, but when I look at the repair bills that I would have to pay without warranty I get nervous. I figure to sell the M3, and get an IS it would cost me prox 12k. Should I take my chances on repairs not haunting me, or go for the IS with a fresh warranty ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Unless there's something wrong with your M3 (did you mod it? Track it? accident?) you should be able to get more than $22,000 for a '95 w/ 34k miles. I'd guess you can get $25,000 if it's in excellent condition. People like the '95 M3 cause it's easier to modify than '96+ which had the OBDII which is hard to modify. Dealers won't offer much ($20k maybe), but never sell cars to a dealer.
I don't see what you expect will go wrong with your M3, find a good mechanic and it won't cost any more than a Japanese car.
Lumber1, I am absolutely agree with ckolsen... you should be able to get more than $22,000 for 1995 BMW M3, particularly an M3 with 34,000 miles. I would guess, let's say ~$25,000(?); but, that also depending on the M3's condition itself (original paint, no damage, clean car, well maintained, etc.)

Also, yup, without warranty, M3s are expensive to maintain... and yes, 1995 M3s are very easy to modified. You just pop in Jim Conforti Chip+UUC exhaust+ECIS intake and bam... your car'll fly

Btw, are you planning to sell your M3? IS300 is a good sport sedan but I would get the extra warranty and keep the M3. Unless, you are thinking to buy the E46 M3, of course...

Last winter, a forrest green Chevy S10 pick up truck wreck my IS300 from behind on 169 S (on my way to Eden Praire) and my car slammed to the rear of Honda Oddesy van which was right in front of my IS. It was a chain reaction, both airbags on my IS were deployed and my car got totalled
that was why I sold my H&R, 5Zigen (both were to fairuza11-a very cool dude) and Injen intake (forgot the buyer's name... sorry)
After about couple of month after the accident, I bought a used Avus blue 1998 5speed 2doors M3. But believe me, everytime I see an IS300, I always turn my head 180 to check out the car....

[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
I think BMW's are sweeeeeeeeet but older ones dont catch my eye. I love this is300 more than anything (in this price range) if i had the money i would be in a GS430 or a 5 series BMW

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To help clarify -----
I did gorget to mention that my M3 was rear ended 5 years ago. Repair was 8k, but I drove the car home, and it drove find. BMW did the work, and it's hard to tell the car was in a wreck. Believe me, if the car was not proper I would have gotten rid of it. I figure that car without a wreck would retail for 25-26k. I figure prox 22 gives the customer a discount to compensate for the wreck. To give you an idea of the condition, when I mentioned my potential sale to my service rep at the local BMW dealership he asked to keep him informed because he would like to buy it. In regard to an additional warranty, my extended warranty expires in DEC. If the warranty was good for longer I would keep it. It's hard to find a good extended warranty after the initial extended warranty expires. No mods, new tires,records, maintained to the maximum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lumber1, If you decide to buy the IS, I got mine at Lexus of Tampa Bay. My salesman was excelent and the dealership was willing to negotiate. They also gave me a good deal for my trade in.

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you do decide to go with the IS300, my suggestion would be to wait for the manual (that is if your M3 is a manual and you preffer manual over auto) with the navigation, all power windows, a damn armrest, a lot less "1st Edition New Car Bugs" (problems with first model introduced). The 2001 has given me more problems than any car I've ever owned and I bought the extended warranty from the day I bought it as a precaution because I new this was the first year this car was introduced. I'm patting myself on the back now!
Again if you do decide to get the IS300 get the extended warranty. The Dealer cost for the warranty is $925.00 don't let them sell it to you for more than $1000. I bargained for $940.00 and made the deal.
Just my $.02

·
Registered
548 Posts
Lumber1, DownShift was right! If you decided to buy the IS300, wait for the 2002 manual IS300 (given you are driving a manual M3, then I assume you want a manual IS300 as well). And, as far as price concern, if I'm not mistaken, the 2002 price will be about the same with the current IS300 price.

[ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: mystic ]

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by Lumber1:
To help clarify -----
I did gorget to mention that my M3 was rear ended 5 years ago. Repair was 8k, but I drove the car home, and it drove find. BMW did the work, and it's hard to tell the car was in a wreck. Believe me, if the car was not proper I would have gotten rid of it. I figure that car without a wreck would retail for 25-26k. I figure prox 22 gives the customer a discount to compensate for the wreck. To give you an idea of the condition, when I mentioned my potential sale to my service rep at the local BMW dealership he asked to keep him informed because he would like to buy it. In regard to an additional warranty, my extended warranty expires in DEC. If the warranty was good for longer I would keep it. It's hard to find a good extended warranty after the initial extended warranty expires. No mods, new tires,records, maintained to the maximum.
how weird, one of my friend, also a fellow member of this board ram his rear into a light pole also...its currently being fixed. its a '97 m3.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Miami Hurricane ----
If I may ask, what deal did you get ? I have been talking to Lexus of Tampa and would like a little ammunition. I would like to cut a deal on a 2001 as long as I know I can get a 2002 armrest and have it installed. Am I correct that you live in Miami, and bought your IS in Tampa ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lumber1
Before I went to the Lexus dealership I downloaded the vehicle dealers invoice price from Edmunds.com. The site also tells you what price you should be able to purchase the car for. I also found out what my trade in was worth form Kellybluebook.com.

When I went to the dealership I brought the Edmund dealer invoice with me and showed the salesman (Luke) what I was willing to purchase the car for. They came down to $32,919.00. MSRP was $34,560.00.

I traded a 94 Blazer. Kellybluebook said it was worth 5K and that was the most the Benz and Honda dealer were willing to give me. However Lexus offered $5800.00 for it.

Finally we got them to throw in titanium tint for free which is a $380 option at Lexus $180 elsewhere.

On thing that I wasnt prepared for was that I wasn't able to negotiate the extended warranty and maintenance program with the salesman. This was done with the finance manager after we struck a deal on the car. I think I could have got them to throw it in for free or discounted if it was negotiated with the sale of the car.

All in all, my experience with the Lexus of Tampa Bay was good. I probably could have negotiated a lower price but what I got was fair and I love my car more now than the day I bought it.

I don't know if they can install an 02 arm rest in the car but I hope they will.

I live in Tampa but am getting my MBA from UM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miami Hurricane -----
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you found a good rep. My rep ( who shall remain nameless ) does not know which end of the car has the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Lumber1
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing