Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. Im getting a custom driveshaft done and dropped it off at the shop but the 2 piece has 2 different sizes the front shaft is not as thick as the rear shaft. Im getting a 1 piece custom driveshaft and im wondering what size should the 1 piece be so it fits in the tunnel of the is300 without hitting the exhaust or anything.. anyone know?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. I called around all the shops that sell the is300 1 piece driveshafts and they all use 3.5in. One had 3in with an option to go to 3.5in for extra 40 bucks. Anyway I ended getting a 3in steel one built and it fits great. Also the heatshield around the catalytic converter and driveshaft still fits and clears it dont think it would work if I have went with a 3.5in one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and the driveshaft also sounds louder like around 5-6k rpms im not sure if thats normal or not

·
Registered
229 Posts
This why you should just order it from driveshaft shop

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
honestly, i just need to get a camera mounted under and go for a drive. Not sure if its the driveshaft or the rear diff thats making the noise. When i hit 5-6k rpms say in 2nd I dont get any vibrations but I hear a noise coming from the rear like under the rear seats. I would think if its the driveshaft then I would be getting vibrations as well but im no expert at this.

·
2,996 Posts
honestly, i just need to get a camera mounted under and go for a drive. Not sure if its the driveshaft or the rear diff thats making the noise. When i hit 5-6k rpms say in 2nd I dont get any vibrations but I hear a noise coming from the rear like under the rear seats. I would think if its the driveshaft then I would be getting vibrations as well but im no expert at this.
Yes the driveshaft would vibrate. A noise should be somewhere else. A driveshaft would generally only make a clunking noise. Plus didn't you say your noise has not really changed. When you changed the shaft. You might ask an emissions tester. That has rollers. If they would put it in test mode and let you listen under and look. While running it on the rollers.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
oh and the driveshaft also sounds louder like around 5-6k rpms im not sure if thats normal or not
The RPM's of the shaft are dependent on the car speed but not directly dependent on RPM of the engine (because of gear ratios) so, I'm skeptical your 5-6K RPM noise is drive shaft related. It's more like the exhaust is touching something and resonating.

Shafts have a specific maximum RPM that's independent of the engine RPM. It's purely a function of the tire diameter, diff ratio and speed of the car.

This why you should just order it from driveshaft shop
They're barely competent at what they do and they screw up a bunch. Sure if you're buying some common thing they probably do alright but I've yet to have custom work function correctly the first time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This why I recommend driveshaft shop. A lot of the youths now know people in the industry and try and do it custom and screw up.. this is your life your playing with... if rather spend 300 on the item through the web where it has been proven to work...

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
if rather spend 300 on the item through the web where it has been proven to work...
It's probably going to end up twice that and you'll probably have to send it back at least once because they screwed up....

I'd buy from Drift Motion before I went to DSS again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's probably going to end up twice that and you'll probably have to send it back at least once because they screwed up....

I'd buy from Drift Motion before I went to DSS again.
I dunno man Drift Motion sent me the wrong inner diameter pilot bearing and I hammered that sucker in to a virgin crank. that was a waste of a whole day removing a super tight flywheel and bearing :) and then a week waiting for the right part.

Yeah I should have double checked but... ugh

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
that was a waste of a whole day removing a super tight flywheel and bearing
I test fit the pilot on the transmission before I installed it. I believe I used a BMW pilot bearing.

I have a "Drift Motion" diff rebuild kit sitting here. It didn't come with new ring gear bolts.

http://www.driftmotion.com/DM-MK3-29-Spline-Ring-and-Pinion-Diff-Kit-p/dm3462.htm

I don't expect anyone to be perfect but DSS screws up more often than they succeed. I had to send the drive shaft back once because they put the wrong yolk on one end. Then when I got it back, it wasn't close to balanced. I thought my driveline angle was wrong and spent a decent time jerking with it before I took it back off had it rebalanced. I've had other dealings with DSS on other cars and the experience wasn't much better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, I called the local driveshaft shop that did it for me and they said they balance the shafts at 3k rpms which like you mentioned the 5-6k rmps on the engine is different then what the driveshaft is experiencing. I really doubt its my driveshaft. Anyway ended up getting a cheap action camera so I can mount that sucker underneath and watch the DS and DIff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
best I can explain it is at 5-6k rpms it sounds like a supercharge whine lol I dont know whats causing it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts