Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a the kaminari front lip coming in soon and was wondering how i should prep the lip? what should i use to clean the lip before coating it with primer?

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- sand it

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ChinaOne said:
why don't you bring it over mah house and do it since im buying the paint to paint your front lip
cuz you didn't order me the paint and the clear yet :roll: and i don't expect it to come in till next week so start ordering mah damn paint and clear :wink:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I think the grease removal is the biggest part. I had a shop who had no idea do mine on my civic. The paint didn't even stick...just broke and flkaed off.

The second shop did it correctly, baked it out, and it was sweet. flexible and the paint didn't chip, urethane pieces rock.

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
lexluger180 said:
what kind of primer to use?can i use high heat primer?and i did a search and found something about paint bake?
Baking refers to the bake cycle in a paint booth, which I am going to assume you do not have. The temp is like 120 or so I believe. The reason you bake the part is to assist in the release of the silicone from the resin to the surface. Once on the surface you can remove it with the wax and grease remover.

Just get some halogen shop lights and put some heat on that thing when you are done ;). Its just a lip right.

As for primer, the paint and primer should come form the same manufacturer. You will need a primer that is specifically for urethane paint. Just go to a paint supply and have them explain which products are compatible.

·
Registered
608 Posts
the only baking process i know of is done after prep and paint/clear is complete. it flash drys the paint in the matter of hours. body shops use this so they can pump cars in and out of the booths with little down time.

as far as paint....my personnal favorite is Sherwin Williams car paint. its easy to mix and spray. always looks clean and shines like glass. but u do have to know how to spray. oh....and its never faded or cracked from weather, even after 5 years.

to prep it, u can use a fine grit scotch bright pad and water, or wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper. on a brand new poly kit, u dont even have to prime. just scuff, clean and paint. be very careful to cover all areas especially the tight spots when scuffing and cleaning. those will be the first to start flaking and cracking. clean with a wax and grease remover (also can be purchased and sherwin williams). make sure to fully wipe off the cleaner and not let it air dry, that will cuz "fish eye" in the paint.

GOOD LUCK.... HOPE IT TURNS OUT CLEAN

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Prime with yellow "filler" primer. then wetsand that when it dries.

Final Prepping: Water sand with a 1500grit then rinse wipe clean and then use a good bodyshop degreaser. I use Sikkens R600 degreaser.

then wipe that with a tack rag and ur good to paint! ;)

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
Prime with yellow "filler" primer. then wetsand that when it dries.

Final Prepping: Water sand with a 1500grit then rinse wipe clean and then use a good bodyshop degreaser. I use Sikkens R600 degreaser.

then wipe that with a tack rag and ur good to paint! ;)
what are you trying to fill? You should keep the thickness of the primer coat as thin as possible. Plastic filler should be used if there are any voids or air pockets.

LexLuger180. One more thing I remebered from my painting experience. On all of my bodykit pieces and in most cases for plastic parts, the bodyshop used a coat of "plastic adhesion promoter". It is a Sherwin Williams product an should help with the paint gripping the plastic surfaces. Just go to the paint store, they should be very helpful with product selection. I know you got ChinaOne ordering the paint for you, but you may just want to buy it yourself. I bet a quart would run you $100 for paint and adhesion promoter.

Fig

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.