Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what oil everyone is using. I have a pretty stock set up. I will be adding a SRT intake and some kind of header/exhaust system. I live in Minnesota, so I will have warm summers and cold winters.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Royal Purple 5w30 synthetic.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
im running valvoline full syn atm. 10-30 for my climate, but you prolly wanna run 5-30 in MN...

i think i might switch to royal purple on my next change tho...

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
also...how long are you planning on keeping your car. if you're keeping it for a long long time, i'd buy some pretty good oil. i used to use amsoil myself...

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
also...how long are you planning on keeping your car. if you're keeping it for a long long time, i'd buy some pretty good oil. i used to use amsoil myself...
i used to run castrol in my 92 corrolla. when i put valve seals in it at 192,000 not a bit of sludge. it has 249k on it now and still running strong. oil is oil for the mostpart, so long as you dont run it for 8,000 miles per change. brandname is personal choice, but ive seen people with dyno proven results on the royal purple, which is kinda persuading me...

just dont use 'walmart' brand 'SuperTek' or any of that garbage. use a good, brandname oil. just dont use penzoil, because its made with perafin wax. its an excelent lubricant until the point where it starts breaking down, then it turns into a waxy film that sticks to every damnd thing and eventualy builds up...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
used to? so whatcha using now? i use all AMSoil fluid....differential/tranny/oil even the filters.

now i want to know if its better for me to use the amsoil filter or the ls430 filter since its bigger....

·
Registered
236 Posts
i use 5w-30 mobile-1 synthetic

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
Royal Purple 10w30 here.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
5w-30 mobile1 synthetic here...My pops always uses Castrol 10w-30 for the other cars...No pennzoil or quakerstate...No pennsylvania oil for some reason maybe just Bias...and I am a PA boy

·
Registered
362 Posts
I too was wondering the same thing as I recently took my 01 is300 to the dealer to get my oil changed. I asked, after the fact =/, what kind of oil and filter they were using and they told me that they use conventional 10-30 and a basic filter...kinda pissed me off as I paid quite a bit for something I could've done myself with better oil and filter combo. That's besides the fact, would it be wise to switch from conventional to fully synthetic (royal purple) at 67k miles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info! I went with Mobile 1 Fully Syn 5w-30 and it runs like butter. It feels very smooth. I might try the Amsoil with the next change, I've heard good things about it. When are you guys changing your oil? It just seems wrong to wait 5k before changes as Lexus recommends. I do a lot of short driving, so I am thinking more like every 2,500. Thoughts?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I went with Mobile 1 Fully Syn 5w-30 and it runs like butter. It feels very smooth. I might try the Amsoil with the next change, I've heard good things about it. When are you guys changing your oil? It just seems wrong to wait 5k before changes as Lexus recommends. I do a lot of short driving, so I am thinking more like every 2,500. Thoughts?
im at 33k right now and i just checked my oil, its still very clean. so changing it at 25k might be an overkill.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts