Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, ive worked on my engine a little bit. I've got the SRT intake with ECU, Xerd Headers and Y pipe, and Greddy Evo II Exaust. I dont know what to do next!! I dont know if theres much more I can do with the engine besides a turbo or s/c. Any ideas that wont burn a huge hole in my pocket? Any suggestions on appearance as well?

Reactions: speedisprecious

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
GreddIS said:
Alright, ive worked on my engine a little bit. I've got the SRT intake with ECU, Xerd Headers and Y pipe, and Greddy Evo II Exaust. I dont know what to do next!! I dont know if theres much more I can do with the engine besides a turbo or s/c. Any ideas that wont burn a huge hole in my pocket? Any suggestions on appearance as well?
Easy, time to tune till you cant anymore and let us know your progress along the way ;)

Emanage ultimate-at the very least worth 11+RWHP tuning fuel maps only, also worth 10rwhp tuning timing curve. I would say for the 500 bucks or so, it is worth it for the ~20RWHP it is possible to get.

No flames, please refer to HKis' RWHP for further proof that there is at least that at the wheels in tuning!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will a set-up like an e-manage fool around with the SRT ECU though?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Agreed cam gear alone for $125 + install and tuning about 220 total will yield around 7whp and 11wtq. At least thats what I got.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My set-up is earblowing loud... people have claimed to not be able to hear themselves speak when I gun it past them. I guess thats what you get with zero cats. Inspections going to be a hastle though...

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
Adjustable exhaust cam gear and tune up w/ SAFC
dasgalloway said:
TUNING: You've got an intake, header, and exhaust... how to squeak out the last of the power? 2 things you can adjust on the car without getting too crazy: Air/fuel mix and exhaust cam timing.

Optional: Switch to an adjustable exhaust cam gear. This won't do anything too crazy to emissions or sound, and will squeak an extra ~10 bhp and btq out of the motor. More details here... my pizza is going to burn if I type too much more. I'd view the cam gear as optional... expect a total project cost of $300-400... parts, installation, and tuning.

Air fuel mix:
Finally... tune everything out. Of course, coming from the factory your luxury sedan is going to be running very conservative tuning... purchasing an Air/Fuel Converter (AFC) can allow you to maintain that conservative tune for 99% of driving, but give you a little more oomph when you want to mash out the pedal on the right. A popular model is the Apexxi SAFC II (it's called an "S" AFC because it's super!). An SAFC will run you $200-300... can be self installed if you can follow directions and aren't scare to solder. Expect a shop to wrangle $100-200 out of your wallet for installation...

The SAFC needs to be dyno tuned. While you might be able to "get close" by using the same settings as someone else with similar mods... the only way to ensure you get the most bang for your buck is to strap the car down to a dyno and a let a tuner have his way with her. By adding the SAFC, you gain the power to change the amount of fuel the ECU is spraying into the motor by tricking it into thinking it's got less air entering the intake than there actually is. This will cause the ECU to spray less fuel, resulting in a "leaner" mix. LEaner mixes make more power than richer ones (they burn hotter and more completely)... the downside is that if you run it too lean you'll start melting things and causing all sorts of other problems. Ask around for a local shop that might be able to help you out... and expect to part with another $100-150 for the tuning time.

Finally... most shops charge by the hour for tuning time... with a 1 hr minimum. It doesn't take a full hour to tune an SAFC or tune a cam gear... so if you decide to do both you might try to work it so both are tuned at the same time on the same day... savings: ~$100-150. Take the wife out to dinner again, and let her know how much money you're saving by making the car faster.
Full writeup found in here:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=238876

·
Registered
547 Posts
Why doesn't anyone say a torque converter? Clay's got an e-shift, that'd definitely help some of the times right there wouldn't it?

sISp

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way people I'm Clay, so nobody here is confused...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
GreddIS said:
My set-up is earblowing loud... people have claimed to not be able to hear themselves speak when I gun it past them. I guess thats what you get with zero cats. Inspections going to be a hastle though...
just pay a garage to pass you

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
GreddIS said:
I have the same setup except I have a Dragger II. The only things that are left for engine is cam gear and a SAFC. I know you have the ECU but the SAFC can help define those curves, once dyno'ed of course. You must fine tune the SAFC. Personally, its not worth $400 for +5 hp. But, I would definitely get the Cam Gear.

·
Registered
547 Posts
cyphertext69 said:
I have the same setup except I have a Dragger II. The only things that are left for engine is cam gear and a SAFC. I know you have the ECU but the SAFC can help define those curves, once dyno'ed of course. You must fine tune the SAFC. Personally, its not worth $400 for +5 hp. But, I would definitely get the Cam Gear.
Just the HKS Cam gear? For the record, Clay (Greddis) and I are in the same exact position.

sISp

·
Registered
411 Posts
Guys having been in a very similar to your situation. I had Greddyevo II, SRT, HKS cam gear, alphawerks header and Y pipe. I had an air fuel ratio of 13.7:1 which is damn near ideal. SAFC II won't be worth the 2whp you might gain with it.

Oh yeah I changed out to the BORLA and man is my car a whole lot quieter with that on there.

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
speedisprecious said:
Why doesn't anyone say a torque converter? Clay's got an e-shift, that'd definitely help some of the times right there wouldn't it?

sISp
Ahh, I am not sure what torque converter does

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Torque converter ups your stall RPMs, so when you launch, you reach the powerband way quicker, allowing you to get a much better launch, and the ability to shift sooner to reach higher gears.

-Aaron

1 - 20 of 42 Posts