Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of sound systems(s)(If another more powerful one is optional) are there in the new 2001 Lexus IS300? Are they going to have Nakamichi? Are they sticking with the Pioneer? Thanks

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
No Nakamichi system yet...perhaps in a year or two. Early ES300's couldn't come with Nakamichi systems, but they got them later.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Two sources told me that it was Pioneer.

240watts... No subwoofer, but the rear
6x9s are supposed to make good bass.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Trust me, if you like the Hip-hop as i do, they are perfectly adequit for the wonderful rumble of bass, but of course there is no comparison to having an addon subwoofer in any system. (like a 12" or 15") Or even the nakamichis i think 7 " is it?

All in all i think the stereo is VERY good for a stock car stereo, punchy bass from the rear, and good treble from all around. This was only at normal listening because i could not blast the thing, so i dont know if or when it will crackle or distort. ( i hope it wont)

[This message has been edited by Brandon (edited May 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
424 Posts
I remember a little while ago in IS200 forum, they say it's made by Sony. You know in Altezza they offer you either the tape or MiniDisc. Not sure anymore.

AndyL

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Have you ever heard the BMW sound systems?? They are horrendous...! The subwoofers muddy everything up... My father has the premium sound system in his 2000 740iL (with 4 factory subwoofers).... The sound is muddy and imprecise unlike the crisp, clear notes played by the Nakamichi sound system in my GS400....I heard the IS300 sound system and it's fantastic compared to the competitors...
Eric...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jim,
The IS300 only comes with one available sound system. It is a 240 watt 8 speaker system with an in dash, single feed, 6 CD changer. The receiver has RDS (Radio Data System) which allows you to search by music type. Speaker are 2-1" tweeters and 2-6.3" full ranges in the front doors and 2-2.8" tweeters and 2-6"x9" full ranges in the rear deck. It has two antennas, one short pole on the roof and one imprinted in the rear glass.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I wonder how the IS300's sound system compares to the non Nakamichi stereo in the GS300... The reason I ask is because the standard system in both the GS300 and LS400 has a 10inch sub instead of 6X9's. Will the IS300's stereo sound like the one in the ES300?.... The Nakamichi pakage comes with a 12inch sub....
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well I know that the amps are external (I've seen them in the trunk of my GS400)... If that helps any, so I would imagine that the sound is leaving the head unit at line level...
Eric....

·
Registered
26 Posts
And you said you have the Nakamichi's in your car Eric? The amps Nakamichi's as well and if so are they adjustable?

There's one thing I don't like about the Nakamichi systems, there's a subtle distort at high frequency signals. If you play the 1812 overture in your car, you'll be able to hear this extremely slight (but annoying anyway) distortion during the symbol clashes. The new MB Quarts 'Q' series has this problem with their high's as well.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
P.Bear
I haven't noticed that kind of distortion, but I'll take your word for it. I think the NAK soundsystem is the best I've ever heard thus far when comparing to other factory sound systems.. The Nak amps are Not adjustable as far as I know in my car. I know that Lexus is switching to Mark Levinson in their new LS430s. Mark Levinson make fantastic home systems so I assume that the Mark L. Lexus system will probably be the best factory sound system ever....http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet/0,1350,_sl_NewArticle_sl_0_cm_1633_cm_3337_1_16_cm_00,00.html ... you might want to read this.....
Eric...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really? Mark L. stuff. That would be intriguing, they do make some of the best at home audio equipment. Their designs are real nice and contemporary too. That would be interesting to hear them try car audio. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Panasonic double-din head unit on my current car. I am thinking to put it on the IS too... Do you guys think it will fit fine or do i have to do some mod to it???

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Personally If I had an IS300, I wouldn't replace the head unit because it complements the other controls and blends in nicely....If the factory head unit is a double din size, which I'm assuming it would be, then your Panasonic head unit should fit in without a problem....
Eric

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by JerJer:
I have a Panasonic double-din head unit on my current car. I am thinking to put it on the IS too... Do you guys think it will fit fine or do i have to do some mod to it???
You're gonna need some mod to make it fit.

(TEG fixed your image link...)

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd check mounting depth as well as width of the head unit, just to make sure. You'll need a new harness and kit in order to fit the IS300. Some head units just aren't made for some cars without drastic modifications.

·
Registered
7 Posts
damn..but this looks like it fits perfectly!!! DEW!!!

(TEG fixed your image link)

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 23, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts