Lexus IS Forum banner

What kind of rims to get?

598 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  wazzup 
#1 ·
I live in New England and have the 17" rims and would like to buy a set of 16" rims for snow tires. What kind of rims are good? Brand, type? Thinking of getting rims from http://www.tirerack.com which have a few or http://www.discounttiredirect.com/ which have about 57 rims to pick from.

thanks

#2 ·
I'm in the same position as you are. I chose to go with a wheel/tire package from Discount Tires Direct. I'm getting the Konig Reign wheels (16x7) and Michelin Pilot Alpin tires (205/55-16).

Here's the wheel:

I picked this because it looks pretty close to the factory wheel design (17"). I would never be able to choose a wheel with another design over the Internet. I'd need to see it in person. That wasn't working because no tire shops in my area had any clue as to what wheels would fit the IS (when I was looking a few weeks back, even TireRack only had 2 16" wheels to choose from). I was very happy that I found Discount Tire Direct with such a large selection and that Konig makes a wheel close to what I wanted.

At about $100 per wheel and tire, the whole package comes to about $920 with shipping and lugs, etc. Not too bad, since buying good winter tires in 17" would be at least 2/3 of that. I don't have them yet because the tires are on order.

Good luck,
Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

#3 ·
I'm in the same boat as well....looking for decent looking 16" rims for winter.

Just curious, when shopping for a winter rim should I be avoiding certin things like "polished lip/rims" cuz the salt will eat this up?...any other suggestions for types of rims to get or avoid for winter driving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.