Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you are planning on replacing your Eagle GS-D or Potenza RE040 with once they wear out?

Friends speak well of Dunlops, but are vague on model and therefore price.

Our local CostCo has Michelin Pilot's for around $245.

Once you scrub off the original equipment tires, what will represent the best combination of price with performance? I realize driving conditions and style will heavily influence the answers, so be sure to state your assumptions. For me, that would be price up to $250 (plus tax, mount, etc.), original 215/45ZR17 size (might compromise on the speed rating!), good to excellent tread wear, superior dry handling and good to excellent wet handling. No "Winter" - I'm in San Diego!

What would be your recommendation(s) for the above criteria? The Pilot I mentioned earlier sounds like a good candidate, if at the high end on price. Where's that geoff kid when you need him :) ?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Pilots all the way (and the high end Pilots) at that price $245 isn't too bad of a price. You'll recoup your cost after you realize that you can put over 25K miles on a set. Just make sure you rotate every five grand.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well in previous posts I've recommended the Bridgestone S02 Pole Positions.... FANTASTIC tires in both wet and dry weather conditions. Also, they make the car very forgiving at the limit compared to a lot of other tires..
Eric...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yokohama AVS Sports are a great tire for the money, $164 at tirerack in that size. I have driven on the old Pilot and AVS's and though the sports are not quite as sticky as the MXX3 (which I believe is stickier in the dry than the Pilot Sports), they are close. In fact, tirerack's tests have rated the AVS equal to the S02 in dry grip and in lap times. The S02 is equal to or better than the Pilots (according to tirerack's tests). The S02's are only $196 in that size vs. $236 for the Michelin.

Given the dollars, I would go with the AVS's if in a drier climate and the S02's if you need some wet weather traction. I know guys that swear by the S02's.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Has anyone had any experiences with the Bridgestone Potenza RE730's? These look like they might be a good alternative for a reasonably priced Z-rated tire that has a good treadwear rating (300). TireRack reviews seem very positive. Price is only $125.

One other question, can wider tires be fitted to the stock 17" wheels? 235/40R17 should be about the same diameter but are the wheels wide enough and is there enough clearance?

·
Registered
226 Posts
BTW, the OEM Potenzas that come on the 17"s are pretty pricey...

Bridgestone Potenza RE040 - $183/tire

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wouldn't go wider than 225 on that wheel. My car had 17 x 8 stock with 235/45/17's. If the sidewall is sloppy you will lose whatever advantage a wider tire gives you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Tire Rack has all the info you need, including tire/wheel size calculator.

To compare just add wheel diameter plus sidewall height. Sidewall height is for example:

235/45 235mmx.45, take that number and times it by 2 and add it to the wheel diameter (17 x 25.4 to convert to mm).

That way you can keep any change as close to the stock diameter as possible, though it is usually at least 7-10mm different.

I am sure a 225/40/17 would work fine.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I can't believe no one else likes the Bridgestone Potenza S02 Pole Positions ....A close second on my list is the PILOT sport which are a lot better than the MXX3's in the wet weather.... My Mercedes E55 has Dunlop SP Sport 9000's.... I don't know much about those tires....
Eric...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Eric, I know an S4 owner that one some SP9000's. He said they ride nice and grip okay but they have a sloppy sidewall (that is why they ride nice I guess).

I agree with you, THAT IS TWICE IN ONE DAY, for the $$ for you cars you can't beat S02 and I still say the AVS Sport is the next best choice. Many, many M3, S4 drivers have switched to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts