Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the IS300 accident in Hong Kong, has anyone really seen/been involved with a monster accident? What led up to the crash? Stupidity, bad driving or bad luck?

About the only bad accident I've seen was this one where two girls ran a stop light and got hit by a dump truck going about 25MPH and braking....red $hit spewed everywhere...I jumped out to help because I thought these chicks were wasted...turns out the red stuff was ice cream and they were both totally overweight and now covered with raspberry sherbert.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The most spectacular one was were a Audi racecar started to go over a hill and it was going so fast that the front started to lift and the car did a somersault in the air. Thankfully the driver was ok.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My friend's wedding

But seriously, it was when I saw a school bus broadside a car going through an intersection. The car literally wrapped itself around a pole. Needless to say, the driver of the car didn't get out alive. Luckily, there were no kids on the bus. Pretty frickin crazy because the accident happened so fast, if you blinked, you would've missed everything. Sort of like a movie.

·
Registered
162 Posts
55MPH into the side of a white Range Rover. My daughter (6yrs old then) and I were in my 93 Plymouth Laser (aka eclipse, talon).

The guy was 88 yrs old and said he (nor his 3 passengers) saw my car. I would have died if it wasn't for my SEATBELT (take notice DIS). My daughter was not seriously hurt either (seatbelt again, dis). I'd like to caution those who have the electric seatbelts, though. Mine pulled forward about 6 inches from the impact and allowed me to hit the steering wheel. I didn't realize it until one of the rescue guys pointed it out.

My car was pronounced dead on the scene. So was the RR. The other passengers faired much better than me though. (that thing was like a tank) I had no time to brake or really swerve. . . he tried to pull a u-turn in front of me from only 30' away. That distance got eaten up really fast at 55.

BTW, I still get a chill in my spine anytime I'm driving and see someone waiting in the median to turn left. I'm not sure that'll ever go away.

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
this wasn't te "worst" accident but itwas very scary. my friend and i were driving down a two lane road(pch and its pretty big, its the stretch in redondo) and we were both going like 50-60(it was a 40 zone) i was in the right lane, him in the left....so as it happens:
this van stops to make a left in the middle of the road.
this suv behind the van decides to cut me off because he dind't see me or whatever at almost 5mph and drives extremely slowly. i brake HARD(and as people in my friend's car say, it looked like i ran into a brick wall)...then
my friend is too busy staring at my mess to notice he's about to rear end the van. he finally sees it(at this point i'm just behind the van) and i see his wheels braking and he skids slightly to the right before smacking straight into the van. oops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Around 1967, family was going back north to Boston after spending spring vacation in Key west. A white convertible Impala, red interior going south in right lane on I-95 traveling at least 75mph blew front passenger side tire, car headed to shoulder, driver overcorrected and sent car all the way across both southbound lanes and barrel rolled about six or seven times before comming to a stop just on the edge of the North Bound fast lane. Unfortunately no one was wearing seat belts. Four kids in the back seat and their Mother in the front ejected during the first roll. The father ejected after the second roll. No one survived.

Even today I can still see the pleated red upholstery as clear as day.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy crap....you guys have seen some bad ones...my objective in this thread was to get people thinking about how they drive - defensive/aggressive/stupid/drunk etc....no matter how good the car is...if you are a dumb$hit odds are you'll end hurting yourself or others. Plus I also like telling the story of the fat girls covered with ice cream.....it was pretty damn funny.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well the best way to avoid accidents is to pay attention. i know a lot of the times when i get close its because i'm distracted...whether it be the nice car ot the side of me or my idiot friend who's trying to get me into an accident. high speeds can be dangerous, but they're lethal when the driver is not fully alert.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
I was gonna say Geoff, Agent Smith, StockIS3 or DonCorleone but thats totally inappropriate for this type of thread...

the day i got my license i went to get my name put on the insurance policy and i went to a store after and as i was pulling out, a left turn across two lanes on a four lane road the lady in the right lane apparently didnt see me and changed lanes right into me...

on my first or second visit to Vietnam and on the way to the airport in our chartered bus, its like a 13 hour drive from my parents childhood home to the airport in Saigon or Ho Chi Minh city, whatever you want to call it, we were a little ways from getting there and we had to slow down because there was an accident and when we drove by I saw it was a motorcycle and a bicyclist and there was blood everywhere, and I asked my parents where the ambulance was and they pointed to a bike rigged with will a flat bed, and the nearest hospital was at least half an hour away by car...

last week a lowrider was hitting switches, hydrolics that make the car hop about three feet in the air, going 40 and the first time he did it he lost control (its a cadillac and if your front wheels are three feet in the air how do u control it?) and almost takes out an SUV in the right lane and a jeep in the right lane but he doesn't, then he gets down to the other end of the cruise strip and the idiot decided to do the same thing and he took out a telephone pole and the boulder in the median ended up in the middle of the street, that was a clean car too and it was tore up, gold rims aren't cheap...the bastard was ok and thankfully he didnt hit anyone...people like that shouldnt be driving...

my mom got rear ended three times in the last month, once she was at a stop sign and a lady who wanted to make a right turn miscalculated and hit her, later the same day shes at a stop light for a pretty long time and some lady just rear ends her. then a few weeks later shes at the drive thru at mcdonalds and some girl who didnt know how to drive a stick in a new truck leaped forward and hit my mom as she was paying for the food, thank Buddha my mom is alright.

we were in Malibu on PCH and some truck was going too fast into the curve and slammed into the side of the mountain, his truck looked like it was an Isetta it was so f'd up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by Chiphead:
The most spectacular one was were a Audi racecar started to go over a hill and it was going so fast that the front started to lift and the car did a somersault in the air. Thankfully the driver was ok.
Hey, you're talking about the american le mans series at laguna seca right? i think that was an BMW?? man.. those p-cars are crazy a$$ fast...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Well, I haven't seen anything horrific so far and I am glad of that. I do however seen many crashes in racing, and there is one that I think I will never forgotten. It was October 31 of last year, I was working by myself and have the computer next to me turned to the cart.com to see the race coverage. When I got on to the site the crashed had happened already, but they didn't pronouce Greg Moore dead until 1 hour or so later. I watched the crashed over and over (why, I don't know, maybe because I was building a race car at the time), and I just can't get rid of that image. I don't think I have seen any other crash worse than that. He was a good driver, not my favorite, but good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The worst and only accident that I have personally been in was in summer of 1970 in Marblehead, Mass. I was driving my modified Opel GT at about 60mph accross the causeway to the neck (island). The only thing in front of me was a Ford van about 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead. I Glanced out the drivers side window at the harbour and the sailboats for only a second. When I looked back at the road the Van had come to a complete stop in the middle of the lane. I couldn't go around him because a station wagon was coming towards us in the opposite lane. The only thing I could do was hit the brakes really hard, the nose of the Opel dove under the ass end of the van. As the van started to slide straight up the Hood (awful crunching noise), I downshifted to third went full trottle and cut the wheel as hard as I could to the left. By cutting the wheel and going full trottle the right side of the Opel raised up and the Van ended up slidding off the passenger side of the car but not before crushing that side of the roof. The driver in the station wagon was actually my best friend father and he said that I went all the way under the Van only to come out on the drivers side between the front and rear tires. I was extremely lucky in that I did not receive a scratch although I was very sore and bruised from the straps of the racing harness that I had installed. Although not totaled the Opels was pretty crunched, the van had traveled pretty straight up the hood almost to the windshield before it slid up the roof amd off the rear quarter panel on the passenger side of the car . The Van was a drycleaning delivery van who had made a stop to deliver the cleaning to one of the houses on his route. It had to be towed away because I knocked his axel out of alignment. Initially he tried to drive away, but ended up going sideways down the street.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts