Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed the tires on my IS look like it could use some air. What is the recommended tire pressure for the 17" goodyears?

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by oneeyejack:
if i remember correctly, the manual says 33. shouldn't it be the same no matter what tires you have??
nope...
i have 18" rims on my ride...
the minimum tire pressure is 47 psi.
it all depends on the size of the tires...

late

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
The tire pressure rating on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM PRESSURE RECOMMENED BY THE TIRE MANUFACTURER. The tire pressure recommend by Lexus will on the driver's door pillar on a sticker.

That said, the goodyears need a lot of air, relatively speaking. I chewed mine up at autocross and that was at 36/35.

Also, a warning, do NOT RUN YOUR GOODYEARS on low pressure. They have a very fragile sidewall and I blew out one of my tires from it running low (had a nail in it). The inside sidewall split open.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited November 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just had my 1000 mile service done. they came to my house and checked the fluid levels and tire pressure, and also programmed the homelink to my garage door opener.

i asked about the air pressure and the mechanic said 32psi for the best combo of ride & handling. btw, i have the goodyears.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by gmej:
They came to your house?!? Is that something your local dealer typically does. Very nice.
yup, longo lexus. they can also do oil changes at your house or at your work place.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Umm, you hadn't programmed your own Homelink already?

Oh.

Or maybe you just got a new garage door opener install, like yesterday?

(Just havin' some fun witch ya, man!)

·
11,061 Posts
The owner's manual does say 33 lbs. However, when I went in for the first service, they put them at 32 lbs. I think that's close enough. I just try to keep them all the same within that range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts