Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 IS300 is cruising at 2500rpm engine when the speed is constant at 60mph. Is that normal? What is your rpm reading when you cruise at 60mph on the highway?

I am asking this becuse I suspect the overdrive is not working, or is there an overdrive on this car?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Yes, I think it is normal and you may find this thread to answer or confirm your question.

Http://my.is/forums/f87/why-does-is300-rev-so-high-freeway-302019/

As this member stated in the above thread:
Originally Posted by BossMan
One thing that has not been mentioned is the fact that 2nd gear in the IS300 transmission is actually a combination of 1st and 5th. 2nd gear is an overdrive of 1st gear in essence. That will limit the allowable ratios of 5th gear since you cannot make 2nd gear too tall than 3rd. So that is one of the main reasons that 5th really is not much of an overdrive.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
so theres no way to lower the rpm?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. It's a computer controlled powertrain. You can try resetting your ECU to factory presets via battery disconnect, but I honestly don't see an issue here. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mines at 3000 in 5th gear while going 60. I have a stick does that matter?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I don't think that's cause for concern, but you have to take some things into account, such as, where you driving uphill doing 60 or driving on a flat road. I don't have a manual, but anywhere around 2000-3000 rpm's @ 60mph I would think is normal. 3500-4000rpms...not so much.

·
Registered
2004 is300
8 Posts
My 2001 IS300 is cruising at 2500rpm engine when the speed is constant at 60mph. Is that normal? What is your rpm reading when you cruise at 60mph on the highway?

I am asking this becuse I suspect the overdrive is not working, or is there an overdrive on this car?
Mine is around 4k and idk what to do abt it 😬

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,227 Posts
This seems about normal to myself.

I don't think that's cause for concern, but you have to take some things into account, such as, where you driving uphill doing 60 or driving on a flat road. I don't have a manual, but anywhere around 2000-3000 rpm's @ 60mph I would think is normal. 3500-4000rpms...not so much.
Driving on an incline or flat ground doesn’t make a difference when driving a stick shift. The RPMS for any given speed will remain the same.

Mine is around 4k and idk what to do abt it 😬
This is indeed very high for 60mph. I think you already made a thread discussion about this though?

·
Registered
2004 is300
8 Posts

Driving on an incline or flat ground doesn’t make a difference when driving a stick shift. The RPMS for any given speed will remain the same.

This is indeed very high for 60mph. I think you already made a thread discussion about this though?

Yep i did

1 - 10 of 10 Posts