Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading the thread about the cost of tires on an IS. Nearly $1,000 to replace 4 tires @ 10,000 miles. Assuming this needs to be done every 10,000 miles, that's an extra $5,000 by the time the car hits 50,000 miles.

Considering the gas-guzzling nature of our car, the scheduled maintenance and normal wear and tear stuff (like replacing brakes, etc.), what is the long-term cost of owning an IS300?

------------------
Tony Mack
'01 SBM IS
'92 Prelude

[This message has been edited by Tony Mack (edited November 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
well, you don't need to replace the tires that often. 10K is for people who drive aggresive all the time. Heck, I drive semi-aggressive and I still have about 1/3 left on my tread, maybe more, and I am at 9400 miles already.
Don't worry too much about tires if you are a "normal" driver. All you should worry about is just gas, services, and mods (if you are into that).

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ok i am getting ready to bend over for some new tires. read my updated post in the Potenza thread... when i replace all 4 rubbers i am getting Bridgestone S02 Pole Positions, which should last 35,000 with varied driving but is going to cost me a pretty platinum plated solid 24k penny. bring out the KY...thing is i am barely at 6953 miles...stupid NASDAQ...stupid pot holes...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Get Michelin Pilots and you'll get 20-25 grand no problem with proper rotation. As far as gas guzzling, eh, not really. You bought a 4 door sports car so what do you expect?

·
Registered
571 Posts
4 for $1000. Man, those are expenive tires. I priced some pirellis for about $460 a set. (assuming we are getting stock 17's). I dunno about yokohamas having a size for the IS, but I know a 214/40/17 Paradas goes for $105 each...I bought a set for my GSR and they are BADASS!!!!!!!!

Anyway, 10,000 is kinds too quick to change tires. I had ultra LOW profile tire once with tread rating of 180, and I drove them hard and they lasted 20k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts