Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first cold weather since I had my IS and also since I had my grounding kit installed. On startup it's idling at 1500 RPM and slows to about 1000 till the engine warms up. Is this normal on a stock engine?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
is300sam2002 said:
This is the first cold weather since I had my IS and also since I had my grounding kit installed. On startup it's idling at 1500 RPM and slows to about 1000 till the engine warms up. Is this normal on a stock engine?
Don't worry, that's normal :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
when i start up i am at about 2 until i sit there for a while or until i shifft into a gear and it releases.....iv ejust heard its normal too and not to sweat over it!

·
Registered
328 Posts
from what i hear...

from what i hear,...when u start it up, since its cold, (and i have the same problem btw)...it just requires more fuel and everything else to get the engine 'goin' and warmed up. so my only guess is since its draggin more outta the engine to warm up...its movin faster...ehhh???? maybe...leave me alone, im jus tryin....i have a groundin kit tho too...and i have the same problems...no worries. :-? :roll:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
there is a few very good reasons why the car runs at or near 2k rpms when its cold. One is because the engine and intake system is so cold, the fuel tends to condense on the intake valve and thus enter the combustion chamber in a less than ideal gasoline droplet instead of a atomized fuel air mix. This causes the engine to run rough and causes very poor emissions. To avoid that the engine runs at higher rpms to increase air velocity and therefor improve atomization. Another reason rpms are keept up is to of course help the car warm up faster and give the driver some heat quicker. once the engine is warm, the heat from the combustion chamber atomizes the fuel almost instantly and a high air velocity is no longer needed for smooth/ low emissions running.
my car - cold michgan start (8 degrees yesterday) rpms are about 1900, slowly falls as temp goes up and settles at about 800rpm fully warm.
after all that, suffice to say your car is completly normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.