Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
WTF is that thing? That has to weigh twice what the XERD or Toyo header weighs, and I can't see an advantage. There are more twistys on that thing than there are on a rally course in the Alps. :roll:

Also, that can't be for the IS200, so I don't know why it's on the site (?) ...notice the 6 cylinder bolt-up design.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
davefisher said:
Also, that can't be for the IS200, so I don't know why it's on the site (?) ...notice the 6 cylinder bolt-up design.
IS200
(European spec 6 cylinder 2.0 litre)
Ohhh wow. Interesting.... good call... I think. That thing still blows my mind.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davefisher said:
WTF is that thing? That has to weigh twice what the XERD or Toyo header weighs, and I can't see an advantage. There are more twistys on that thing than there are on a rally course in the Alps. :roll:

It might weight a lot more that I agree, but the bends are menral(spelling?) bent so how many curves are in there doesn't really matter.. I am guessing the reason it is made like this is to have equal length runners and to have longer primeries... sorta like the SMS header for the type R. I could be 100% wrong.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
danielm said:
davefisher said:

It might weight a lot more that I agree, but the bends are menral(spelling?) bent so how many curves are in there doesn't really matter.. I am guessing the reason it is made like this is to have equal length runners and to have longer primeries... sorta like the SMS header for the type R. I could be 100% wrong.
No, I retract my previous statement that this header could be completely a waste. I see where you are coming from danielm.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
if the headers are all the same length has advantages in power gains. thtas what it looks like they were going for, the cluster fuck of pipes comes from trying to make it compact and still have 6 pipes as for bends, as long as they are mandrel which it looks like they are from all the welds, losses due to friction aren't all that bad especially when you don't have 6 differnt cylenders fight to push gas into an already occupied space, being the advantage of having them the same length.

i think it looks good.. i like the design

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
looks like its going for better exhuast pulse distribution.. and maybe faster gas velocity via smaller pipe diameter...
compared to toyomoto/xerd's free flow via big diameter..

equal lenths are good for high-end where exhuast gases are likely to be croweded..

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
Well that header better be producing a lot of HP, as I can't imagine a supercharger being able to fit in there with that thing... :eek:
Yah no doubt. That this IS large! Mammoth even.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
The welder was eating rotini when he came up with the design.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
keep in mind that in a straight engine layout no 2 cylenders fire at the same time (heres where the equal length is cool). this in mind the the gasses, in theory, will all travel the same speed, so when they are merged together the "bursts" of gasses from each cylender will fall right in line with eachother and not have any collisions or what not that would generate more turbulence. the more turbulance the flow experiences the more friction will occur.

thinkof it this wayu, a big crowded building with 6 doors and everybody runs and tramples over eachother to get out. or you can have 6 single file lines to just run out nice and orderly. kinda of a crappy example but sort of works

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
looks like some R&D went into that thing....

i've noticed alot high end custom turbine manifolds(not referring to IS300) have the same look.....

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
ali1983khan said:

i've noticed alot high end custom turbine manifolds(not referring to IS300) have the same look.....
same concept goes for the turbos, think of the 60 guys trying ot push on a small wall to move it they are all gonan be fighting for a space to push one the wall. line them up in 6 lines and the other guy pushes on the next guys back, exert more force on the same area, turbines will spin easier and with less lag, thats why turbo "headers" are more desired as opposed to the cast manifold. but space becomes an issue with most cars for that

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
somguy2u said:
ali1983khan said:

same concept goes for the turbos, think of the 60 guys trying ot push on a small wall to move it they are all gonan be fighting for a space to push one the wall. line them up in 6 lines and the other guy pushes on the next guys back, exert more force on the same area, turbines will spin easier and with less lag, thats why turbo "headers" are more desired as opposed to the cast manifold. but space becomes an issue with most cars for that
that and welded ones are less durable than cast ones.. (ie: XS engineering's very first tubular manifold)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.