Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you noticed in the rear wheel wells, towards the end of the car, there's a short, skinny, black hose thats connected to something? Is it safe to have it exposed like that? Looked at my mom's ES and didn't see it on her car.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think that might be an electrical wire connected to the shock absorber sensor. I think it is used to control the auto-levelling headlights.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not sure what you are looking at - I'll take a look at mine this afternoon, but... if it really is a hose, it might be the drain hose for the sunroof (assuming you have one).

If it just 'looks' like a hose and is actually a cable protector, then TEG is probably correct about some rear end sensor (chassis position / ABS wheel rotation sensor / or something).

Terry

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
(someone sent me this):

Those hoses are the Brake Lines. They are located
behind the rear axle. The ABS wires are located in
front of the axle, but are not as visible. Both hoses
and wires are extremely durable and are made to be
exposed to the elements.

As far as the auto-aim sensors for the headlights,
there are two of them. Both located on the drivers
side of the vehicle. One attached to the front
control arm and one attached to the rear control arm.
If you look under the IS, on the rear control arm, you
will notice in the middle of the arm a small lever
attached to a height sensor. This is for the
headlights. Same goes for the front.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
So would that mean if there was a heavy load in the trunk and concentrated at one side of it (either the driver or passenger side), the headlights wouldn't align properly since the sensors are only located on one side of the car? Or can the sensors detect left and right tilting too?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts