Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And what is the benefit of doing this, when you order wheels?

I know some brands like Fabs and Works have this as an option. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Caliper clearance.

Low is usually the smallest clearance for small calipers, like our rears.
Mid/Medium is usally for larger calipers, like our front calipers.
High is usually for BIG calipers, like BBK, TT supra front calipers, etc.

For SSR's wheels...
SL = Super Low Disk will not clear our stock front calipers, but clears our rear calipers.
LO = Normal disk and it will clear front and rear calipers, but not TT front Calipers.

It's always best to check with the company for fitment though.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
ohhhh. let me get this one. haha. ill have a full write up soon explaining it. :)

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohhhh. let me get this one. haha. ill have a full write up soon explaining it. :)
Sweet, I was hoping you would chime in :pimp:

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
*Ahem* Does the appearance or price change depending on the disk type? If not, then why doesn't everyone just go for med to high disk to maximize compatibility and to future proof their wheel?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dont know if I'm correct but here you go

"(Listed from least to most brake clearance)

O Disk (Deep Rim) - Maximizes lip size, least amount of brake clearance
A Disk (Standard) - Standard brake clearance
L Disk (Big Caliper) - Big caliper clearance, but has less clearance than R
R Disk (Big Caliper) - Big caliper clearance, more than L
T Disk (Big Caliper) - Big caliper clearance, more than R

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*Ahem* Does the appearance or price change depending on the disk type? If not, then why doesn't everyone just go for med to high disk to maximize compatibility and to future proof their wheel?
Price does not change. Most companies will only offer what they think suits your vehicle. They will most likely order you med-high disk for the fronts. And low disk for the rears, cus of Caliper issues. You can specify which disk you want, but if you dont. They will just send you the default disk.

Bottom line is, better to get med-high disk, if you have BBK. Or you are gonna sell it later down the road. Its best to have med-high disk for peeps who have BBK ;)

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Thanks. What I really want to know is if the spokes are the same.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Use this VS-XX spreadsheet as an example:

Use the 18x9 as an example:

For a 75mm lip with a Big-Caliper disk, you would need to get it with a +9 offset.
For a 75mm lip with a Standard disk, you would need to get it with a +26 offset.
For a 75mm lip with a Deep-Rim disk, you would need to get it with the +33 offset.

Do you see how it works? If you want a 75mm lip but have a TT BBK, you would need to step all the way down to a +9 offset because the inner spokes and disk need to account for the large BBK. It's still an 18x9, but the disk needs to be almost at a zero offset because there is so much material on the hub of the wheel.

But, since there can be much less material on the hub of the wheel on a Deep-rim disk (no need to account for huge brakes), you can get it with a +33 offset and have the 75mm lip you want.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
The higher the disk, the spokes tend to curve more around the caliper.
That's not 100% true. My SSR's are flat faced. The LO (Normal Disk) has a thicker hub to give more caliper clearance. The SL (Super Low) has a thinner hub to give you the same offset with more lip.

You can get an 18x9 +37 Super Low Disk with a 68mm lip (I think), or an 18x9 +37 Hyper Disk with like a 40mm lip (I didn't look at the charts). The thickness of the hub allows clearance for the caliper and determines offset.

So the put the face farther out (less lip) but make the hub thicker to clear BBK's. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Its all in my wheel thread in the sig.. But its true what others said above.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Interesting. In Philly's example:

The disk size boils down to a built in spacer for the wheel. If that is the case, I would op for a low disk to maximize lip and get less "rim hub". But I recall (as some have mentioned), some rim design would have different concavity in relation to disk.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yet you cant go wrong by getting a smaller hub size and if so reverting to spacers to clear whats needed.

Thats on your own risk if you do that dont take my word hahah.. Little disclaimer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.