Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i'm real close to purchasing an 2001 IS300

this is probably a dumb question, so bare with me

the front grille has Altezza on it. i'm not really familiar with this? is Altezza another version of the IS?

or is it just a different grille that was put on?
and if thats the case, and i want to change back to the original Lexus grille, what would that cost me?

thanks

·
Registered
910 Posts
More than likely it's an IS300 with an Altezza grill. It's damn near impossible to import an Altezza to the states, although it has been done.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
thinkingboutit said:

the front grille has Altezza on it. i'm not really familiar with this? is Altezza another version of the IS?

and if thats the case, and i want to change back to the original Lexus grille, what would that cost me?

thanks
Here you go Altezza 101 in session:

The Altezza (known as the Lexus IS 200 and Lexus IS 300 in export markets) is a compact luxury car from Toyota.

The Altezza comes in 2 variants:

* The AS200 (codename GXE10), powered by the 1G-FE inline-6 engine generating 160 hp JIS (118 kW) and mated to a 6-speed manual transmission (4-speed automatic optional)
* The RS200 (codename SXE10) powered by the 3S-GE inline-4 engine generating 210 hp JIS (154 kW) and mated to a 6-speed transmission (5-speed automatic optional)

The Altezza is mostly popular amongst tuners because of it's possible engine swap, for a last generation Toyota Supra 2JZ-GTE motorisation. Modified version of the 2JZ-GTE has been seen with over 1000hp.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
thinkingboutit said:

thanks
Welcome aboard!

I'm pretty sure that there's a number of people out there who would prefer the Altezza grille over the factory Lexus grille.

My advice is to post this in the Member Sale/Trade or Member Wanted To Buy/Trade Forums. You can only do that, however, after you have 30 viable, intelligent posts.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
2 JZ-GE said:
The Altezza comes in 2 variants:

* The AS200 (codename GXE10), powered by the 1G-FE inline-6 engine generating 160 hp JIS (118 kW) and mated to a 6-speed manual transmission (4-speed automatic optional)
* The RS200 (codename SXE10) powered by the 3S-GE inline-4 engine generating 210 hp JIS (154 kW) and mated to a 6-speed transmission (5-speed automatic optional).

Don't forget about the beloved Altezza Gita (I think JCE10?), which would make 3!

As far as cost, I bet you can buy a used OEM IS300 grille for less than $100 in the For Sale Forum. Even less, out-of-pocket, if you offset your cost by selling your Altezza grille.

Reactions: jruhi4

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
Squareback said:
Don't forget about the beloved Altezza Gita (I think JCE10?), which would make 3!

Also, I bet you can buy a used OEM IS300 grille for less than $100 in the For Sale Forum. Even less out-of-pocket if you offset your cost by selling your Altezza grille.
I stand corrected. Yes, the Altezza Gita - - thanks :) .

thinkingboutit: I have the 03 OEM IS300 grille - - would I interest your to an even trade? :p

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Upon further review... (and not that many will care, but for the sake of being correct)......Gita goes as follows.

RWD Models
JCE10W (AS300 - 2JZ-GE)
GXE10W (AS200 - 1G-FE),

4WD (AWD)
JCE15W (AS300 4WD - 2JZ-GE)
GXE15W (AS200 4WD- 1G-FE)

For a grand total of 6 variants including the sedan.

Also looks like you can get a MT for the AS200 (non-AWD) models, to bad they didn't bring that or the AWD here.

Instead of selling just 3,000 SportCrossi, they could have sold 3,500 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
thinkingboutit said:

thanks
I have one 04 stock grill 4 sale n waiting for the buyer 4 payment n if I don't receive it a wk its yours. Pm me 4 more info.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Orangetang21 said:
More than likely it's an IS300 with an Altezza grill. It's damn near impossible to import an Altezza to the states, although it has been done.

There is no solid proof of this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
thinkingboutit said:

thanks

out of curiousity, where are you located? im sure there are plenty of us who are more than willing to help you check out the car. u never know who lkives down your street. not to mention, you could easily find someone to do a trade with you maybe. best of luck, hope its really an altezza and not an IS300 :p

-Aaron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
silentattack - no, it doesnt look like that. its the type of grille that says altezza in the bottom right corner.

i'm located in Vancouver, Canada. I dont actually own the car yet, i'm waiting on a carfax report, and other inspections (and trying to haggle the price)

so from what i'm understanding, switching your grille to an altezza grille is a popular trend amount IS300 owners?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
thinkingboutit said:
so from what i'm understanding, switching your grille to an altezza grille is a popular trend amount IS300 owners?

yes it is

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
if you wanna switch back, i'll sell you mine.
PM me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts