Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's little brother just died of cancer related problems.

The wake is today. I've only been to one other funeral and that was when I was really young. I'm a little lost when it comes to this type of thing.

What's convention or standard on donations? It's going towards cancer research.

(keep in mind I make 31k) not 133k

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
SophieSleeps said:

The wake is today. I've only been to one other funeral and that was when I was really young. I'm a little lost when it comes to this type of thing.

Hello SophieSleeps, :)

First of all, please accept my warmest condolences.

Good question. I guess you should just give the amount you want.

In my father's and grandmother's funeral (which were conducted in Korea), some people gave only $10 (in US currency) while others gave ($5,000; in US currency).

In my opinion, the amount of money is not important, what is important is that you were there to condole the family and be there for them when they need help! :wink:

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
s0yb0mb said:
my condolences... what kind of cancer?
Brain tumor.

They thought he was doing better and it was going into remittance but ended up having seizures about 2 weeks ago and was all down hill after that.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Give what you can, but most of all the support is priceless.

When my 15 month nephew died, i wasn't looking at who gave the most money. It was who was there for me and my family.

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
xjayx300 said:
When my 15 month nephew died, i wasn't looking at who gave the most money. It was who was there for me and my family.

Hello xjayx300 :lol:

I agree with you! :) When my father and grandmother passed away. I was not looking at the amount of money given (ok ok I sorta did but really I wasn't!!! ). I was looking at WHO CAME. One of my father's closet friend did not come to the funeral. That f*ckin a**hole! :pissed:

P.S. xjayx300, please accept my warmest condolences to your family.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Whatver amount of money you would have spent on flowers...Im assuming that they want cancer donations rather than flowers.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
SophieSleeps said:

I'm so sorry :(

This will be a sad sad event, and people will stay away because it's very difficult to think about. Being there for your friend is the most important thing.

Don't worry about the amount - actually the Jimmy Fund gets most of my charity dollars - it's an excellent cause. Pay $20 now and then make a team in the walk next fall - our team raised almost $10k this year

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
s0yb0mb said:
my condolences... what kind of cancer?
Brain tumor.

They thought he was doing better and it was going into remittance but ended up having seizures about 2 weeks ago and was all down hill after that.
Donate here then: http://www.braintumor.org/

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think they're doing a collection at the wake...
So I'll see.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just give what I can and spend more time on more important things.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Well, I think they're doing a collection at the wake...
So I'll see.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just give what I can and spend more time on more important things.
De.. sorry to hear man... but i never heard of monetary donations at a funeral. the amount allocated to a flower arrangement sounds good if you had to.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear that. My aunt died of cancer a while ago. And she got better and then suddenly worse. My condolensces go out to you and your family. I would think that its the fact that you are there to give support and not the money. I would just give the amount you feel necessary :wink:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
$50 or so to the American Cancer Society would be nice. It sounds cliche, but it truly is the thought that counts.

Most people prefer that to flowers. The family is struggling to find some sense in his death right now, and the fact that research can be furthered by contributions in his name will help them to deal with their loss.

Give them an address when you call and they'll send a card saying you made a donation in his name.

1-800-ACS-2345 or cancer.org

Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of friends to cancer in the last couple years and have sent a lot of these cards. I'm also a cancer survivor myself.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd rather do that than get flowers.
ATL Dave, I thnk that's a good idea. thanks for the help.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
Jeez, this is a huge VERY SAD coincidence. The brother of a friend of mine died last night of cancer. I am very sorry for his family. He was just slightly older than I am. Maybe 29 or 30. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Trovador
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing