Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Viper, or any other DEI brand alarm, as long as its not TOO cheapy. save up your money and get a GOOD alarm. the general room of thumb is you SHOULD invest 5-10% of the cars worth on security. that doesnt mean everyone does it, but think about it, we drive 30K cars, we shouldnt put alarms that are meant for cheap little hondas. BTW, i didnt mean to flame, but i have just seen too many IS owners put terribly cheap alarm systems in and i didnt want that to happen to you. just my .02

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Compustar is at the top of my list!

The inventors of 2 way security that have received more Innovation awards than the amount of months that knock off systems have been selling 2 way.

Durable remote with an indiglo(Compuglow) backlight, up to 1.25 miles of range, 50 channel 900 MHZ spreadspectrum design that no one else is allowed to offer at this time.

Sensitive dual zone shock sensor
VPS(Vehicle paging system)
Turbo Timer
2 programmed AUX outputs can upgrade to 7 for minnimal $
Works on Standard shift vehicles
Diesel capable

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just got my compustar WSS-AS installed and I love it! Lisnup is a GOD when it comes to alarms! Thanks for all the help! Buy from him...he gives a very very good rate!

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
John91C said:
Just got my compustar WSS-AS installed and I love it! Lisnup is a GOD when it comes to alarms! Thanks for all the help! Buy from him...he gives a very very good rate!
Thank you for the nice words!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
John91C said:
I have my basic stereo set up by Lisnup and his crew too! :D
I'm extremely pleased with the work that they did on my car and, my golly the sound quality now is wayyyyy better than the stock....

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
O3 said:
John91C said:
I'm extremely pleased with the work that they did on my car and, my golly the sound quality now is wayyyyy better than the stock....
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best alarm

I would say that the Clifford Alarms are the best that you can buy. They are the premier line from DEI, and if anyone knows anything about alarms, they know DEI is the king of everything alarm related.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Clifford is a good alarm...but Compustar is the best. There are a lot of installers I've talked to and they have a compustar in their cars. The only reason you don't see compustar mass marketed is because they are a b*itch to install and compustar doesn't let any joe schmoe be an authorized dealer. Clifford still hasn't fixed all their analog/digital problems. I am wary of companies that have many different products, i.e. DEI. Just my 2 cents...

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The DEI products from all 30 of their lines are fine products and they work nicely. The Python, Viper, or Clifford lines really are no better than each other. They each have a few unique qualities and their own shape remote, but beyond that you cannot say that Clifford is best. All major systems are more than good and all will do the exact same job. Open a door the alarm goes off! The difference is the options that a system offers. Now remember that these options are only of value if you plan on having them installed which cost you more monies! Buying a system full of options and not using them is a waste of money and if you have that much money to blow then I will give you my Paypal account to fill.
I sell some DEI products, Prestige brand, and Compustar. All systems are adiquate for basic protection of entry points and impact. If you want basic then any of these will do. The latest trend in the security market is that of the 2 way security systems. 2 Way combines the satandard alarm system along with that of a pager system to alert the owner of status. They combined these all in 1 hand held transmitter that has an LCD screen to give the consumer visual of their vehicles protection ata distance. In the event that the system is put into alarm mode, the system pages the vehicle owner and tells him/her exactly why its in alarm status.
Well you are seeing hundreds of these systems popping up all over the place and the reason is simple. Back in 1997 Compustar introduced their 1st 2-way system and they applied for a patent. A patent was granted for X-years(3 from date of patent grant), well the obvious is that the patent is up and the market gets flooded. What dos all this mean to you the consumer. Well if I wanted to buy a car, I would go with a company that is not on their first design and build! Thus Compustar is going into year # 6 with 2 way systems. The competition is on year 1! The Compustar system raised the bar by being the only system granted use in the 900MHz range. By using Spread Spectrum Technology they were able to use a higher power(5X) remote for further distance. The remote operates like a cordless phone. It has 50 channels that it hops through in the 900MHz range for communication. This means operating distances of up to 1.25 miles!!!!!! Yes you read that correctly. Not 1000 feet or 1500', but almost 6000'! Its 2-way so the further the distance the better.
The next thing to consider is that most 2 way systems come with only 1 remote to keep the consumer cost down. Well go into you nearest DEI dealer and feel the cheap, its about to break feel of their 2 way remote. Now go into a Compustar dealer and feel the higher build quality of the Compustar FM or SS remote. Its like a Tank and a standard car comparison.

Good luck in your personal decision on a security system. I myself use onlu Compustar in my vehicles.

·
Registered
975 Posts
John91C said:
Clifford is a good alarm...but Compustar is the best. There are a lot of installers I've talked to and they have a compustar in their cars. The only reason you don't see compustar mass marketed is because they are a b*itch to install and compustar doesn't let any joe schmoe be an authorized dealer. Clifford still hasn't fixed all their analog/digital problems. I am wary of companies that have many different products, i.e. DEI. Just my 2 cents...

I worked in a stereo store that sold alarms and Clifford's sales rep told us that we were just about the only store in his region that had almost no problems with their alarms (being returned as defective to the company). It was because we had the best installers. Those alarms come with a huge WAD of wires compared to the other brands we sold.

You're saying the same goes for Compustar (difficulty in installation). I'd like to try Compustar, but knowing that they too are a b*tch to install, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with having even an authorized dealer installing it. Believe me, being authorized doesn't gaurantee they know what they are doing.

Has anyone had 1st hand experience with a good Compustar install done in the NJ/NY area?

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
lisnup65,

Do you know if there are any Dealers of Compustar in San Diego i tried to find one and can't...

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
If i remeber correctly the first Alarms with VPS was Ungo though i don't think it really caught on to big back then. could have been lack of reliability, as technology has really gone way up since the early 90's.

lisnup65 said:
The DEI products from all 30 of their lines are fine products and they work nicely. The Python, Viper, or Clifford lines really are no better than each other. They each have a few unique qualities and their own shape remote, but beyond that you cannot say that Clifford is best. All major systems are more than good and all will do the exact same job. Open a door the alarm goes off! The difference is the options that a system offers. Now remember that these options are only of value if you plan on having them installed which cost you more monies! Buying a system full of options and not using them is a waste of money and if you have that much money to blow then I will give you my Paypal account to fill.
I sell some DEI products, Prestige brand, and Compustar. All systems are adiquate for basic protection of entry points and impact. If you want basic then any of these will do. The latest trend in the security market is that of the 2 way security systems. 2 Way combines the satandard alarm system along with that of a pager system to alert the owner of status. They combined these all in 1 hand held transmitter that has an LCD screen to give the consumer visual of their vehicles protection ata distance. In the event that the system is put into alarm mode, the system pages the vehicle owner and tells him/her exactly why its in alarm status.
Well you are seeing hundreds of these systems popping up all over the place and the reason is simple. Back in 1997 Compustar introduced their 1st 2-way system and they applied for a patent. A patent was granted for X-years(3 from date of patent grant), well the obvious is that the patent is up and the market gets flooded. What dos all this mean to you the consumer. Well if I wanted to buy a car, I would go with a company that is not on their first design and build! Thus Compustar is going into year # 6 with 2 way systems. The competition is on year 1! The Compustar system raised the bar by being the only system granted use in the 900MHz range. By using Spread Spectrum Technology they were able to use a higher power(5X) remote for further distance. The remote operates like a cordless phone. It has 50 channels that it hops through in the 900MHz range for communication. This means operating distances of up to 1.25 miles!!!!!! Yes you read that correctly. Not 1000 feet or 1500', but almost 6000'! Its 2-way so the further the distance the better.
The next thing to consider is that most 2 way systems come with only 1 remote to keep the consumer cost down. Well go into you nearest DEI dealer and feel the cheap, its about to break feel of their 2 way remote. Now go into a Compustar dealer and feel the higher build quality of the Compustar FM or SS remote. Its like a Tank and a standard car comparison.

Good luck in your personal decision on a security system. I myself use onlu Compustar in my vehicles.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
CarbonIS300 said:
If i remeber correctly the first Alarms with VPS was Ungo though i don't think it really caught on to big back then. could have been lack of reliability, as technology has really gone way up since the early 90's.

lisnup65 said:

Actually I beleive that their was a company called VPS alarms as I had one. I had Ungo back then also. I still have my first ungo system from 1988! Toooo bad that Clairion purchased them and destroyed their products. :pissed:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
lisnup65 said:
Thanks! :D[/quote]

You deserve the compliment, my friend! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
O3
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing