Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my IS for a little over 6 months and i am slowly starting to get things done to it. i was just wondering what intake system i should get? any suggestions?

·
Registered
584 Posts
for stock get SRT /ecu otherwise ... injen probably best for it's price range and if price dont matter look at the other intakes they made for is300 or even a TRD or BLITZ air filter will increase around 5 or more hp .. not too sure.... so maybe a combination of PLP silent intake which claims 8rwhp and about 8lbs torque..... and the filter because plp keeps the same air filter box. OR DO THE EXTREME and DRILL A HOLE AND MAKE YOUR INTAKE A CAI!!!! haha jp ... there's some pictures of a guy who did that in the forums somewhere. but he said he never got to test it out ..

·
Registered
74 Posts
depends on what u want.....like he said, injen is good for its price but overall i think SRT is best i noticed faster acceleration in tsc's car.

and plus it sounds very nice

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
BOMZ!!!!!!

Suwheeeeettt intake & only 30 bux on ebay!!!!!

OR DO THE EXTREME and DRILL A HOLE AND MAKE YOUR INTAKE A CAI!!!! haha jp ... there's some pictures of a guy who did that in the forums somewhere. but he said he never got to test it out ..

yeah i saw that too... that was SICK.... perfectly genius if you ask me ... 1st one i ever saw... dida great job with it too.. whatta fuking Stud.

Wait... thass MY car... & MY intake... & that guy was ME... :lol: & i will test it as soon as i get my DOGGAMN car back :crazy: :pissed:

enjoy...

·
Registered
584 Posts
aem is koo but it seems to be the worst out of all the popular intakes for is300 but dont get me wrong . they can be good too. they dont have a heat shield or anything but pretty sure you can make one at home depot lol . dunno bout gains and stuff... HEY MAYBE aem will come out with V2 for the is300! lol wait til then if you AEM fan. lol as for the SRT its for STOCK parts mostly but i think lot of people have the XERD pipings with the SRT but i know SRT doesnt work with the TOYOMOTO pipings. just go with injen . best for its price. oh yeh i remmeber there was an offer on EBAY ... brand new AEM for is300 for 125$ shipped but that was while back. they like 200ish shipped now.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
AEM is a popular Honda name and many people transfer it over to being a great intake for the Lexus, when it's really not one of the better ones.

SRT GenII ECU is supposed to work with all headers/midpipes, even the Toyomoto (from what I have heard from a friend who ran that combo). But it's frickin' loud.

I have the GReddy EVO cat-back and I can't even HEAR my exhaust anymore, just the intake throaty noise. And my exhaust is one of the louder ones. I think I need a midpipe now :lol:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
AEM= 50 percent work great, 50 percent can either throw CEL, or stall.

INJEN= first few gens didnt work out soo well.. i think gen 3/gen 4 got better and works better too..first gen and second gen lost hp i think, or gained like 1hp

SRT- everyone has it so join the band wagon.. everyone says its great and yea, its pretty nice.. but 600

PLP-SFI/ JOE Z- smooth pipe concept , retains stock look and stock air intake scoop/box, your choice of filter ( i would suggest TRD filter-8rwhp)
This intake is nice, i had it for a while, good choice, not too much louder than stock, and the gains were good... a good intake for 115degree weather..lol (vegas).

K&N tyhpoon- pretty nice looking intake, blue, red, etc. Made by K&N for that "show" look. Growls REALLY loud and sounds awesome. Good power, i liked it a lot. No carb cert tho, (maybe now it has one, but it didnt at first)

K&N FIPK intake- wow. i really like this intake. responds well and great power/sound. carb cert too. thats always a plus. plus, it was a gift from my awesome gf, so that has added hp too ;) hehe..

outta all of them i prefer PLP or the K&N Fipk. the typhoon, if carb certed would be another good choice.. im just not too hot on srt and aem.

btw, as far as edgys CAI,.. great job ed! congrats.. cant wait to see the dyno on that baby.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Kev IS300 said:
what about AME?
You meant AEM right?

But a good intake with good gains are SRT but the con to this is it's pricey. :roll: But it depends how much money you have and how you want your setup to be.

-Ringo

·
Registered
584 Posts
screw the intake get a turbo . lol your intake wont make your car go too fast. maybe able to keep up with a fixed up civic si. lol but yeh ... if you planning to go all N/A intake is a must i guess unless you consider supercharger N/A.. always thought it was but my friends bitched at me that superchargers aren't N/A....

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
always thought it was ,but my friends bitched at me that superchargers aren't N/A....

:lol: :lol:

yer friends are right....

SC is NOT NA..... the intake charge is pressurized by the SC, so it is NOT at normal atmospheric pressure thus it is NOT "Naturally Aspirated"

schools out!

now go play nice.... 8)

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
what...? u mean my CAI mod forthe SRT...?

still under development, as i had not the oppty to actually run it & test is as i crashed the car the day after i set it up... :oops:

i wil lhave the car back by thuirsday night... i will finish that along with a TON of other stuff :roll: & get back to y'all...

pm me for more details etc...

thanks

edG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts