Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a couple false alarms at my apt. building over the last 6 months and it left me wondering, what the hell would I do about my cats if the building caught fire and I wasn't there?

Yeah that's right I have cats, 3 to be exact.

So how would they escape? I'm on the 3rd story, so I can't just put an emergency exit window in and train them on how to use it. :D But seriously, has anyone else ever thought about this?

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
If it happened during your sleep, I think your cats would leave your ass. Seriously. They'd smell the smoke, realize the danger, and get the fuck out of there and leave you to become 'webjerky'. Now, if you weren't home, that's a different story. That requires a mind much keener than my own.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They wouldn't be able to escape, period. And the question was more along the lines of "what could I do if I wasn't there". I've got a plan in place if I was there:

1) place cats in suitcases
2) get the fvck out (remembering to bring the cats and car keys)

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Good luck rounding up the cats... we had a fire on the 1st floor of my building a few months ago (I'm on the 3rd floor). I heard the alarm, smelled smoke and went for the cats.... who scrambled under the bed. Because of those little bastards I was standing outside in the cold rain barefoot in a tshirt and shorts with no shoes/socks (didn't have time) holding a cat carrier.

I would have just left them there, but my freaking gf would have sent me back in for them...

-Justin

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly the two times I've needed to get them together, they were just sleeping on the couch. The damn alarm isn't loud until you open the door, which is bad because I woke up and thought my alarm clock was going off.

·
13,978 Posts
who cares about your cats! i think you're life would be just a LITTLE more important than theirs. and besides...they have 9 lives. they can afford to lose one.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I the only person on the planet who cares about their pets? Just because they're cats doesn't mean they're any less significant than your pigmy goat you know.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
webguyIS said:
They wouldn't be able to escape, period. And the question was more along the lines of "what could I do if I wasn't there". I've got a plan in place if I was there:

1) place cats in suitcases
2) get the f-haha-ck out (remembering to bring the cats and car keys)
peta will be proud of you.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Don't get me wrong - if there were flames licking at the doors the cats would be on their own. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'll be damned if I burn to death while shaking a package of treat at the edge of the bed trying to get them out.

-Justin

·
13,978 Posts
Justin.b said:
Don't get me wrong - if there were flames licking at the doors the cats would be on their own. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'll be damned if I burn to death while shaking a package of treat at the edge of the bed trying to get them out.

-Justin
that's right bro. w0rd to that.

cats are replacable. your life isn't.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well obviously if I was in severe danger I would get the hell out before anything happened, but again the question is: What to do if I'm NOT there.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Well if your not home and there's a fire, there is pretty much nothing you can do for the cats. However keep in mind they are quite smart and will probably find a spot away from the somke, like under a couch or chair. But if your home with them I'm sure they will poop on your face and jump out the window to leave you burn while wiping the shit off of your face. :crazy:

Mike

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
There's nothing you can do...

The only thing I can really think of is a fire safe with a doggie door... and then train them to go in there when the alarm goes off.

Or a cat carrier on a zip line that zooms them from your window to safety - see Data's creation in The Goonies for more info on this. Be careful for screen doors.

-Justin

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, excellent suggestions. Mike, interestingly one of the cats did piss on my pillow once. That was not a fun experience considering I was asleep.

OK so you've confirmed my suspicions, I guess I'll just have to accept that it could happen.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
oneeyejack said:
who cares about your cats! i think you're life would be just a LITTLE more important than theirs. and besides...they have 9 lives. they can afford to lose one.
I would actually try to put the fire out with my cats if it came to that. :-?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
BTW, instead of trying to get them in a box or suitcase, I find it a lot easier to throw them into an empty pillow case, and then they cant climb out while you tie it shut. Plus they can breath through the fabric....

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HoustonLex said:
BTW, instead of trying to get them in a box or suitcase, I find it a lot easier to throw them into an empty pillow case, and then they cant climb out while you tie it shut. Plus they can breath through the fabric....
How many times have you had to do this? :)

I was really just kidding about the suitcases, since I purchased 3 cardboard cat-carrying boxes recently. But the first false alarm I _did_ put them in suitcases. :D

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Only once. My fucking roomate in college couldnt take his cats home from college one break and since we were from the same hometown, asked me if I would take the cats home (a 4 hour drive).

Well I had a friggin miata, so there was no room for his cat carrier thingamajig, so I put them both into seperate pillowcases and threw them on the floor of the passenger seat.

OMG the noise was horrendous. They were crying the WHOLE way home. I said never again will I do that for him....

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Only once. My fucking roomate in college couldnt take his cats home from college one break and since we were from the same hometown, asked me if I would take the cats home (a 4 hour drive).

Well I had a friggin miata, so there was no room for his cat carrier thingamajig, so I put them both into seperate pillowcases and threw them on the floor of the passenger seat.

OMG the noise was horrendous. They were crying the WHOLE way home. I said never again will I do that for him....
i wonder why? besides, isn't that how you bring your women home?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
12 Participants
ZaKapitan
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing