Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if I was some badass guy that wanted more power and tried to install an intercooler onto PLP's powerdyne unit? Would it mess up the s/c's settings? Is it mechanically possible? What would the gains on something like that typically be? I guess my question is if its possible to modify PLP's kit to include an intercooler without having to redesign the entire kit.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
i really don't understand the question...it would be possible...i would assume. just gotta change the piping. as for gains...it really depends on the base...i mean, what your car makes before installing the IC...

so in short...you would have to redo the plumbing...that's about it...i think...

·
Registered
427 Posts
it probably even wouldnt be beneficial on a low boost kit
they probably would have included some sort of intercooler /aftercooler had it been needed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
MicaBlueLex said:
What if I was some badass guy that wanted more power and tried to install an intercooler onto PLP's powerdyne unit? Would it mess up the s/c's settings? Is it mechanically possible? What would the gains on something like that typically be? I guess my question is if its possible to modify PLP's kit to include an intercooler without having to redesign the entire kit.
I asked Mike at PLP about this and he said it was not recommended. The IC would also void the 2 year warranty that comes with the Powerdyne BD-11 unit.

The BD-11 SC does offer a 9psi pulley, so I'm not sure if you could eventually put that on with the addition of an IC. Seems like if you want to upgrade you should go with the Vortech...it's $1000 more, but you'll spend that much if you want to upgrade the Powerdyne unit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
MicaBlueLex said:
I asked Mike at PLP about this and he said it was not recommended. The IC would also void the 2 year warranty that comes with the Powerdyne BD-11 unit.

The BD-11 SC does offer a 9psi pulley, so I'm not sure if you could eventually put that on with the addition of an IC. Seems like if you want to upgrade you should go with the Vortech...it's $1000 more, but you'll spend that much if you want to upgrade the Powerdyne unit.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my big thing is the Carb cert....

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, has anyone posted any numbers for the powerdyne unit? I know 0-60 and 14 are irrelevant, but what kind of numbers can be guesstimated for that amount of power?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I also talked to Mike... he said the 25-30 hp increase on the vortec kit was basically from the intercooler.

He also said that it was possible to add in IC to the powerdyne but he didn't recommend it. The reason is because the powerdyne is marketed as a maintenance free kit and he wanted to keep it simple and not put too much stress on the oil free compressor. If you want more power and upgradability- thats why he make the vortec kit.

But as far as an IC on the powerdyne, would you need to retune the engine management?

apoji187 said:
it probably even wouldnt be beneficial on a low boost kit
they probably would have included some sort of intercooler /aftercooler had it been needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts