Lexus IS Forum banner

What guages are in a guage pod?

1K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  stick 
#1 ·
I know a boost guage is always one, but what are the other two usually and why?

stick

#9 ·
crontab said:
Speaking of gauges, has anyone ever hacked the guages on the stock display? Like the mpg one or battery V one to show something else like boost pressure?
It's not boost pressure, but I'm sure you can swap out the MPG gauge with the Oil pressure gauge in the Altezza. But making it work is another problem. The oil pressure sensor on the IS just provides a signal for the warning light, so it won't do any good hooking it up to the gauge. Maybe there's a oil pressure sender (gauge type) from another Toyota car that can fit on the 2jz?

#11 ·
stickninja said:
crontab said:
Speaking of gauges, has anyone ever hacked the guages on the stock display? Like the mpg one or battery V one to show something else like boost pressure?
It's not boost pressure, but I'm sure you can swap out the MPG gauge with the Oil pressure gauge in the Altezza. But making it work is another problem. The oil pressure sensor on the IS just provides a signal for the warning light, so it won't do any good hooking it up to the gauge. Maybe there's a oil pressure sender (gauge type) from another Toyota car that can fit on the 2jz?

You would have to replace the entire MPH piece on the console. If you did that, you would have to use the center piece from the JDM version and wire it up to make the new gauges work.

#12 ·
Wxman said:
You would have to replace the entire MPH piece on the console. If you did that, you would have to use the center piece from the JDM version and wire it up to make the new gauges work.
Really? I could have sworn that I saw on the service manual that those small gauges were able to detach from the MPH piece. Guess I'll check it again. So when you opened up the instrument panel to change the lights, you saw that all the gauges were just one piece? Well if that was the case, I wouldn't do it because I don't like to read in KPH hehe...

#13 ·
haven't had the time yet, i thought about it as soon as i got the car, i even did a pretty good photoshop about a year ago of how it would look and put it up on tbko's site, but haven't had the time to actually figure out the circuit

-gte

crontab said:

-crontab -l

#14 ·
i have boost pressure, egt and fuel pressure from defi, along with the unit that records peak and hold and has a 40 second playback

-gte

stick said:

stick

#16 ·
IS300GTE said:
i have boost pressure, egt and fuel pressure from defi, along with the unit that records peak and hold and has a 40 second playback

-gte

stick said:

stick

What is the purpose of knowing you EGT and fuel pressure--to make sure everything is running ok?

#20 ·
stick said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

stick said:

stick

What is the purpose of knowing you EGT and fuel pressure--to make sure everything is running ok?

egt is so you can basiaclly tell if you're running lean. fuel pressure is so you can tell if you're GOING to run too lean or rich...um...sorta... :p

#21 ·
HyperMKIV said:
stick said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

stick said:

stick
egt is so you can basiaclly tell if you're running lean. fuel pressure is so you can tell if you're GOING to run too lean or rich...um...sorta... :p

Way to write your post inside the quote tag. :crazy:

#22 ·
well, i'll list a few for you

the egt can tell you if you are running rich or lean, how rich or lean, and if you should look for other problems somewhere else. also, if the car misses, you can look at the egt and fuel pressure and dismiss those 2 as potential problems if they read properly. the fpr can tell you the pump is working right, what base pressure you have, if the regulator is too much of a restriction, if your regulator is raising your fuel pressure to the proper rise ratio, and if the pump can support XXX amount of flow at XX psi when pushing it and the car. also, if the car doesn't start all of the sudden, or whatever, you can look over at the gauge and eliminate the pump just like that. many different situations, many different uses
hope this helps

-gte

stick said:
IS300GTE said:
there is numerous situations why these gauges might be needed or used
GTE, I am not doubting your knowledge, but I was asking for examples of why they are needed/used over other guages :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.