Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What grit sandpaper would i use to lighty remove a clear coat on a fake cf grill, so that I dont scratch the under lay. The clear coat is peeling and turning yellow. I want to sand it and reclear it...

suggestions

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
600-800 and some labor!

you don't want to hit the CF, you can also wetsand when its starting to wear thin near the cf... Is this a VIS grill or the TRD fake cf?

D

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
1500 to be safe, you don't want to get down to the cf, but just through the top coat.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
1500 is what you want to use after you get the coat down some, 1500 will get rid of any grit lines the other papers left behind.

1500 would take FAR too long by itself.

D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
600-800- then to polish a 1000

If you start to high your doing nothing but passing time.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
^^you just gotta be patient. i'd rather do that than potentially ruin a grill

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
I paint for a living, I wetsand, I polish, I do spot finishing etc etc etc.

A clear coat is pretty thick, do the 600-800 then finish with a 1000-1500 to be safe. The clear coat will start to look dull and a milky white, thats normal. Make sure you clean it well and apply the clear even and in light coats. If you spray clean on thick it will take FOREVER to dry and will not cure for along time.

D

ps passing time is correct at 1500 to start!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
i apologize, paint master.

oh yeah, and judging by your past shady business practices, i wouldn't trust your work anyway. i thought you didn't have a job...

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I did my CF spoiler with 400 grit and then finished with 1500 and then 200o grit.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
i apologize, paint master.

oh yeah, and judging by your past shady business practices, i wouldn't trust your work anyway. i thought you didn't have a job...
This shows how much you read, most of the income I have is from Custom work I do. Although Ive had some shit go wrong in the PAST, my custom work holds true to form.

I find it funny that you bringing up bullshit in threads = to me not having any exp in these matters.

D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a fake cf grill made from abs plastic.... The clear coat is so thin that i can already peel it with my finger nails.... should I still go 6-8hundred or start much higher?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
get a real grill and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
i prefer the fake cf over the real cf grills. The real CF grills, the weave is streached and the quality is poor when it comes to the tabs and placement.

so just try to sand as flush as you can, then do some clear coats in the area is chipping, build it up then wetsand and blend that area to the rest. Once that is done, then clear coat the whole grill.

D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
still scuff up all the areas just to make it so the new clear holds to it, then use 1000-1500 to make it smooth.

The area that is in trouble scuff with 800 or so then clear that area and let it dry, try to build it up so its level with the rest of the grill, allow it to DRY! once dry use 1000 to scuff it up and re-apply to try and make it level with the rest of the grill. Keep doing this till its level, then clear the whole grill at once.

D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts