Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Number one for any IS there is no "chips". The ecu can not be reflashed or replaced with any other ecu. A cold air intake, with full headers, and full exhaust will get you the most power. Other than that theres no more stuff for the 2nd gen IS. Do a 2JZ turbo swap if you want alot of power.

·
Registered
381 Posts
2jz swap is going to be pretty pricey. Search for it. I'm giving a ball park figure with turbo over 10k easy. I have heard the LMS exhaust and intake is great and pricey. Lots of power though.

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
you can get header, exhaust , intake and cam gears and tune it, thats what gives u the most hp.
Also u can get a SAFC to maximize ur power.

Intake - AEM, INJEN, K&N
Exhaust - HKS Drager 2 (one of my favs)
Cam Gear - AEM, Unorthodox, Fidanza, Titan.
Header - Mazzuri, HP Racing aka Toyomoto, Megan Racing and Xerd if you can find it.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
you can get header, exhaust , intake and cam gears and tune it, thats what gives u the most hp.
Also u can get a SAFC to maximize ur power.

Intake - AEM, INJEN, K&N
Exhaust - HKS Drager 2 (one of my favs)
Cam Gear - AEM, Unorthodox, Fidanza, Titan.
Header - Mazzuri, HP Racing aka Toyomoto, Megan Racing and Xerd if you can find it.
You do know that he is talking about the 2nd gen IS right?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Excluding the mazzuri headers (which'll make your car highly illegal, but some folks are ok with that) there's pretty much nothing that'll add much power to the 2IS.

Intakes: 3-5 hp tops, some might lose power being hot-air intakes. The Joe Z at $109 is gonna be the best bang/buck here.

Exhausts: Wanna stay legal? 5-7 hp tops with an axle-back like the Tanabe for around $550. Don't care about legal? A full secondary-cat-deleting exhaust will run $1200-1500 and add something around 12-15 horsepower

Headers: The Mazzuri headers delete the primary cats, so again not legal, but around $750-800 they will add a pretty decent amount of power to the car (probably 20-30, maybe a bit more on the 350)

And... that's about it.

There was an LMS supercharger that would add around 40 rwhp for somewhere around $6000, but I think they quit selling it since like 2 total people bought them.

So on a really good day if being legal is no issue for you you can pick up maybe 50 hp for around $2200 plus install costs with a Joe Z, mazzuri headers, and a full cat-less exhaust system.

If being legal is an issue then the Joe Z, Tanabe exhaust, and maybe 10-12 total hp gained if you're luck for around $700 installed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
you were talking about the mazzuri headers...
since it deletes the primary cats, if i got aftermarket cats to stay street legal, will it negate the effect of the headers??
jw...how many cats are on the 2is??
and are there headers for 2is that comes with cats??

thanx. x]

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The 2IS has 4 cats- 2 primary (left/right) 2 secondary (left/right)...

The Jun-TW headers come with hi-flow replacement primary cats instead of deleting them entirely... but it's crazy expensive and designed only for the 250 (though they say it 'fits' the 350 I'd never put it on one).

You could likely find some exhaust shop that'll make a set of generic hi-flow cats fit in your exhaust after the mazzuri headers... I couldn't say how much performance it'd remove from the headers but there should still be a pretty nice gain from them...

You'll still fail in California since the headers won't have a CARB number... but in any state that just looks under the car doing a "Are there the right number of cats visible or not" type check that ought to work ok

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is it illogical to purchase mazzuri headers for the 350 if its a lease and is there any way to install it and keep the car legal?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
is it illogical to purchase mazzuri headers for the 350 if its a lease and is there any way to install it and keep the car legal?
The answers, respectively, are maybe and no.

The mazzuri headers delete the primary cats. That's a violation of federal law. You might can find a shop to weld in some aftermarket cats and make them fit, and this might get you past a visual inspection in some states (definitely NOT in california, maybe in most others though).

If it's 'worth' it or not depends. It'll be around $750 if you can do your own labor, maybe $1000-ish if not. You'll gain some amount of power... there's no dyno on a 350 yet but assuming it's comparable to the 250 gains you'll see 10-15% more power. Is that worth $750 or $1000 to you?

You can probably sell the parts and get a decent amount of your $ back at the end of the least (minus the labor to swap them on, and possibly back off again)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts