Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all

Ive been playing around with a couple gas stations. Shell, Esso and Sunoco.

Found that shell 87 and 89 dont give me the same performance results as Esso and Sunocos 87 and 89.

But found Shell 91 to be better than Esso and Sunocos 91. :suspiciou

lol.

Jus curious what type of gas you guys fill up with.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why are you putting anything less than 91 in your car??? Tsk tsk tsk never go below premium. And with that being said I mostly only put in Chevron 91 but sometimes Shell 91. Never Maverik, smith's or any other shit gas like that

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used Sunoco Gold (94) for quite a while and I am convinced my car doesn't like it.

I use premium (91) when I feel like some oomphf at fill up time, but otherwise for commuting down the 401 everyday my car likes silver (89) just fine.

I don't notice a difference really between gas stations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One of the mechanics told me that with the winter we have here, the IS can actually get by with the 87 Octane. I have yet to try theory out.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
One of the mechanics told me that with the winter we have here, the IS can actually get by with the 87 Octane. I have yet to try theory out.
IS300's can survive on 87 octane... but it's not recommended at all. The car's manual says to only use 87 in emergency situations until you can get access to better gasoline. So for example if you run out of gas on the side of the highway... and all that the tow truck guy brought you was 87 octane... then go ahead and use it to get to the gas station. But don't run on 87 all the time.

You bought a nice car... treat it nicely. You shouldn't be so cheap that you can't spend a few dollars per tank for the PROPER octane.

In conclusion... please don't use anything below 91 octane. THe manufacturer says to use 91 octane... who knows more about the car? You? Or the people who actually designed it?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I typically use Shell and Petro Canada. I wrote in a thread a while back about how Esso is the ONLY major gas company to not receive the TOP TIER designation. This means that Esso hasn't been certified to have an acceptable amount of detergents in their fuel.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha well I didnt kno. My car didnt come wit a manual.

and Ive been using 89 because I burn a tank of gas a week goin between school and work.

Once i kill this half tank of esso 89 imma go back to shell 91.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
I normally use Shell or Petro Canada, sometimes Sunoco once in a while.

Never Esso...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I use 94 octane from Huskys

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Just to add to the discussion... this past weekend I drove a Volvo S60 to Detroit. Pretty nice rental car. I felt quite confident driving ~140km/h back from Detroit. We ended up getting a rental because neither of us wanted to subject our personal cars to a group road trip. Atleast this way none of us cared if the others ate in the car, etc.

Anyways... I used 87 octane in the car on the way back. I checked the car... including the back of the fuel lid to see if there was any labels on what type of fuel the car needed. Since I didn't see anything I used 87 octane. The car performed flawlessly on the way back and accelerated and cruised with ease.

Then to my surprise I happened to be flipping thru the manual to check on a setting for the stereo... and buried somewhere in the middle of the manual I saw that 91 octane was recommended. But anyways... I drove ~400km on 87 octane and the car performed fine and still felt peppy.

The IS300 does have labels on it tho that say to use premium fuel.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
honestly at times. I find that when I use 87 octane. The car has the same pep as using 89 or 91.

Thats just me.

In my dads G35 I tried using 87 one time. (jus for the sake of testing $10) and it Drove like absolute SHIT. Went on a lil road trip just to burn off w/e I had jus put in the tank.

Really dont think the compression ratio in the 2jz-ge is that high that it would constantly require 91 octane.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
the compression in my 250mt is very high,I used 91 and above on my old is300 now I always use high test on my 250 do to high compression ratio. on the 250 compression is 12.0:1

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
honestly at times. I find that when I use 87 octane. The car has the same pep as using 89 or 91.

Thats just me.

In my dads G35 I tried using 87 one time. (jus for the sake of testing $10) and it Drove like absolute SHIT. Went on a lil road trip just to burn off w/e I had jus put in the tank.

Really dont think the compression ratio in the 2jz-ge is that high that it would constantly require 91 octane.
You won't feel it now, but down the road, you'll have knocking sounds coming out of your engine. Don't take our word for it....

Should have bought a honda if you're going to keep feeding a lexus 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
true dat denis.the manufacturers recommend it so don't listen LOL,your engines will thanks you :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
To be honest tho... I always find it amusing when somebody buys a $45,000+ car and then tries to save $3 on a tank of gas. :blush:

It's like those people that will order a triple whopper burger with extra cheese and bacon... super-sized fries with plenty of gravy... super-sized onion rings... dessert... and then "balance" things off with a diet coke. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Shell or Cheveron. 91 ONLY

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I dont feed it 87 anymore. When I did it was to see how it would run and I was trying to penny pinch.

I only use shell 91 now. It doesnt bug me to spend the extra cash on gas.

I love my car and Im willing to spend the extra cash and time to get quality parts and stuff done.

I bought a lexus and Imma treat it like a lexus.

Hmm that makes me wonder what the previous owner of the car used. -.-

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have never put anything less then 91...only once i did..and i quickly stopped at 4 dollars and then treated her with 94. With my supra i only used Octane 94 from sunoco because of the power.

Beside, just like someone stated...you bought a nice car, treat it nice.. they obviously have better Octane for a reason.

I would definatley like to find out how good shell is because they just built one right behind my house. and i can do frequent fill ups there.

But as it stands i do one half tank of octane 94 a month just to keep things clean and smooth, other then that only 91.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i go to any gas station that has at least 91 octane. w/the 4runner i try to find the cheapest gas station.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts