Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

My IS just passed the 100K mark a week ago. While flipping through manuals, I just realized I totally missed the 90K service. I don't want to get ripped off by the dealership, so I want to have the necessary items serviced only.

I've been searching around and there are mixed info I've got. So I would like to check what exactly do I need now. The followings are the ones I've gathered so far.

01. Timing belt
02. water pump
03. thermostat
04. accessory belt
05. Spark plugs
06. Coolant replacement
07. Brake fluid replacement
08. Oil change, oil filter, fuel filter.

What else do I need?
Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi Yaupchan, you are a rookie here, welcome to this site. What do you need for the 90,000 mile service? It should say on your manual. If you lost the manual, you can look it up on yahoo or google, "What is a 90k mile tune-up?".

Your other question was if you should go to the dealership or not. Well, for me, if your making about 2,000$/month, then go ahead. If not, I suggest to not, because the 90k mile service is expensive as a mofo, about $1,100-$1500 for this service since the timing belt and water pump takes a lot of labor to do. Another factor to equate in is did you buy this car old or used? How often do you baby this car? If your level of taking care of the car, as in parting in the most top-notch stuff, mainly OEM stuff, go to the dealership and do it (since you would enjoy the car more if it had OEM parts). If you have been parting in a little above decent/decent/trashy parts onto this car and you don't take care of it that good, then go to a regular mechanic you know and pay them about $250-$500 to do it, yes, about 40-60% of the dealership price.

If you are around the San Diego area, my man can do it, and this guy is the guy I trust MOST about cars period. He specifies in Japanese and he's such a great guy, you gotta know him first. He's done cars for over 30 years, so car are his life. He told me "Hey Howard, once you get that IS in 90k mile, it's gonna be fun changing the timing belt!" So he loves what he does and he is a neat freak and work-aholic when it comes to cars. He does a good job for cheap. He can do it for you with OEM parts (he gets hook-ups) or you can bring him the OEM parts (which are somewhat expensie if you don't have the hook-ups). But for me, I would just get it done NOT from the dealership because of that pricing and trustworthiness. The only thing that benefits from getting it done from Lexus dealership is they put OEM parts or maybe...See you do not really know what they do with it, go to a place where you can trust and see them do it themselves. Enjoy!

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Hi folks,

My IS just passed the 100K mark a week ago. While flipping through manuals, I just realized I totally missed the 90K service. I don't want to get ripped off by the dealership, so I want to have the necessary items serviced only.

I've been searching around and there are mixed info I've got. So I would like to check what exactly do I need now. The followings are the ones I've gathered so far.

01. Timing belt
02. water pump
03. thermostat
04. accessory belt
05. Spark plugs
06. Coolant replacement
07. Brake fluid replacement
08. Oil change, oil filter, fuel filter.

What else do I need?
Thanks ahead.
Coolant replacement comes for free with the timing belt (they have to remove the radiator).
Spark plugs can wait until 120k
Fuel filter is not required

I would however, get a price on cam seals, as well as the tensioner and pulley. All of these are relatively low cost items (~$50) that would require a lot of labor to replace if they fail in the future.

You may also want to consider the transmission and differential fluid replacement as well.

I had my 90k service done by an independent shop that was very familar with Lexus cars. It cost me about $1200. 600 in labor, 600 in parts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ill say it again even though if you would search you would find this answer...go to the Toyota dealership, I got everything done for $750
$750 with or without a hookup!?!? Because the 60k mile service is near 900$ at the dealership. 90k mile service involves the timing belt and water pump, which is a big "OUCH!" to your wallet. I guess a guy like you get ALL THE hook ups. Enjoy.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
no hook up, Toyota is just not as expensive as Lexus...that was Timing belt, water pump, tranny flush and refil and tranny filter cleaned, and radiator fluch and refil...parts and labor

that is the main part of the 90K service...all the other stuff is usually done at 60K (plugs, brake fluid, etc.) or you can do them and oil change by yourself anytime.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Damn...I just called the stearlship to get prices on the 90k sevice..they told me for the basic 90k it was 550.00 snd another 1200.00 JUST for the timeing belt and the water pump! WTF is that!

Think im going to call the toyota dealetship!

Reactions: Squareback

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
This is what the dealer I go to perform for the 90k service at $600.00
90K service is the same as the 30K and the 150k service.
*Replace engine oil and filter.
*Rotate and balance front tires.
*Replace coolant.
*Replace transmission fluid.
*Replace diff fluid.
*Replace brake fluid & bleed system.
*Replaced pcv valve.
*Replace air filter.
*Replace incabin filter.
*Replace wipers.
*Install oil deposit additive to prevent sludge.
*Install fuel deposit additive.
*Perform charging system service.
*Adjust rear parking brake assy.
*Check and adjust drive belt for proper tension.
*Check and reset basic engine settings to specs.
*Lube all door hinges and latches.
*Inspect emission control system, brakes, all lights, body for corrosion.
Recommended in addition to the 90k svc: Timing belt replacement at $500.00
which also includes inspection of water pump, engine seals and idler pulleys. If these are needed the T-belt pkg is $1,200.00

Note: Always compare several service menus and their prices from different dealerships to see what your $$ can get for their service. If you have time in your hands, then DIY will save you $$.

Note: Platinum spark plugs are replaced at 60k interval if needed if not it should be replaced at 120k.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i just got a quote from my mechanic that it should run no more than about $600, including timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, tensioner, pulley, cam seals, and a few other tidbits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was wondering if anyone could tell me why my IS300 is chugging twice as much gasoline as last week...

All my tires are at 40 psi, and I've had the spark plugs changed a year or two ago. I'm at 90k, got the car with 50k on it.

I also changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, and timing belt.

·
Registered
620 Posts
i just got a quote from my mechanic that it should run no more than about $600, including timing belt, accessory belts, water pump, tensioner, pulley, cam seals, and a few other tidbits.
Including labor? Where in SGV is this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I finally did the whole thing...
  • timing belt,
  • hydraulic tensioner,
  • pulley,
  • idler,
  • thermostat and seal,
  • all the seals - crank, cam,
  • drive belt & idler

the labor was 450 and so were the parts I burned 900$ - nothing was wrong but I just did the whole thing to be safe, it runs strong.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just met 90k this weekend...sucks...but this would be a perfect time to put my HKS cam in as well! :)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
the mighty 90k is stressing me out, too...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I finally did the whole thing...
  • timing belt,
  • hydraulic tensioner,
  • pulley,
  • idler,
  • thermostat and seal,
  • all the seals - crank, cam,
  • drive belt & idler

the labor was 450 and so were the parts I burned 900$ - nothing was wrong but I just did the whole thing to be safe, it runs strong.
here is what i got changed but there are things that were not on the invoice that the threads regarding 90K said maybe needed.

here are the items or parts that were changed:
timing belt
timing belt idler pulley
thermostat
alleternator drive belt
waterpump
enginer filter (where the black colored snake looking box in the engine)
in-cabin AC filter (glove box)
trans fluid
coolant fluid
engine oil fluid
engine oil filter
brake fluid
wiper inserts
rear differential fluid (i thought i have both front and rear.. haha.. i am such a noob)

things or parts that were not included in the invoice that i found may be needed from reading the threads:
pcv valve (??)
pcv grommet (??)
o-ring (#1) for waterpump bypass (x2) (??)
o-ring (#3) for water pump bypass (??)
serptine belt tensioner (do I need this??)
timing belt hydraulic tensioner ( I will get this done since I did not know it was not included)
thermostat grommet (??)

hope this info helps the next guy

am i missing anything??? thanks.

rey

1 - 20 of 28 Posts