Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some know im a technician at a lexus dealer. I will be going to lexus central office in a month or so for training, and can get some inside info on upcoming products. Also i can pass some info to managment higher up in Lexus.
That said i ask you all what you dont like with your cars and your serious suggestions to make it better. (Lexus is more concerned about long life and quality than performance remember so turbo's are probably out of the question) But I ask you to please be professional with your ansewers as i plan just to print out any posts and pass them on.
what i hope to accomplish? well if nothing more its to further show there is much support for a performance based Lexus. The responses may get no attention at all, or maybe it will be the push lexus needs?? worth a try though. thoughts??

Trevor

EDIT: perhapse it would also be helpful to include your model year. As some complaints may have been changed already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I don't really like having to replace the clutch after 10,000k miles and having the car in the shop for 3 months. I don't like how the clutch pedal doesn't come back up after I press it in anymore and sometimes have to reach down and pull it back up. Not much I really like about it anymore.

Lextech1 said:
As some know im a technician at a lexus dealer. I will be going to lexus central office in a month or so for training, and can get some inside info on upcoming products. Also i can pass some info to managment higher up in Lexus.
That said i ask you all what you dont like with your cars and your serious suggestions to make it better. (Lexus is more concerned about long life and quality than performance remember so turbo's are probably out of the question) But I ask you to please be professional with your ansewers as i plan just to print out any posts and pass them on.
what i hope to accomplish? well if nothing more its to further show there is much support for a performance based Lexus. The responses may get no attention at all, or maybe it will be the push lexus needs?? worth a try though. thoughts??

Trevor

·
Registered
26 Posts
And all I wanted was my clutch to work

jag3er said:
Lexus is so good at copying and improving upon other marques, here are things I recommend for them to change. Some are very minor annoyances, some are major points that if addressed will make me stay with the brand for my next purchase in 2-3 years.

- add horsepower, keep the I-6 engine, add 6th gear for highway and improve fuel economy (look at BMW 3.0 I6, it can be done)
- add 4 yr/50,000 mile free service maintenance (like BMW)
- add standard trip computer (miles to empty, mph averages, etc)
- eliminate the cheap look of the interior plastics
- add radio/cruise controls on the steering wheel as buttons, eliminate the cruise stalk
- make brighter interior lights
- make bigger trunk
- make thicker steering wheel
- make gutsier and more adventurous designs, but not kid-ricey like the silver rear light surrounds
- add pressure pad under trunk grab handle to open it without using the key when doors are unlocked (like on the LS and all BMWs)
- use synthetic oil (a good brand, too) in engines as standard
- make rear tires wider, at least another inch or two (currently, they look very Accord-like thin and wimpy)
- reduce the gap between the tire and fender
- make the rotors rust proof
- embed radio antenna in rear glass, eliminate the VW-like shorty antenna
- make rear defroster lines thinner so the tint looks better (that's a big complain of the window tinters)
- move homelink to the roof near the moonroof switches, when I have my sun visors down, I can't open the garage without moving the visor up
- make keys stronger (mine broke in two pieces)
- give us electric folding mirrors like in the rest of the world
- let the push of a button on the key roll down windows from the outside
- make ALL windows AUTO down or up
- improve the water channeling from front windshield so that the washer fluid does not end up on the side windows when used
- improve aero around the outside mirrors (I have always water coming out of them and leaving a water stain streak on the door when it is wet outside)
- add ellipsoid/projection beam headlight lenses (like the foglights)
- add LED rear lighting
- add MP3 digital input so I can connect my iPod
- add subtle trunk lip spoiler as an option
- give us softer arm rest on the driver's door
- make good cupholders
- add a safety plastic backing under rear license plate so it does not scratch paint underneath it (look at the 3 series, again)
- make easier ski passthru and folding rear seats in sedan
- make better interior color choices
- eliminate rattle from the moonroof and from the dash instrument cluster
- have the armrest open up for small storage of tickets, cell phone, etc
- make ALL outside glass water repellent
- add bluetooth capability
- make the front of the hood a bit higher and reduce the apparent "tallness" of the windshield when looking at the front of the car
- do not follow the high beltline design theme like in the new GS or Camry
- make the IS wider, give it a sports car stance
- put the airbag warning stickers on a surface from which they can be easily peeled off
- remove the compass from the rear view mirror (it looks so Chevy and has no real function)
- do not put plastic inserts where an optional equipment switch belongs, make a separate piece of plastic for every combination of switches (like the heated seats/traction switches area, BMW did this very nicely on the 3 series for the same switch group)
- redesign the oh-jesus overhead grab handle end plastic pieces so they don't snap off when the handle is used by passengers

·
Banned
538 Posts
jag3er said:
Lexus is so good at copying and improving upon other marques, here are things I recommend for them to change. Some are very minor annoyances, some are major points that if addressed will make me stay with the brand for my next purchase in 2-3 years.

- add horsepower, keep the I-6 engine, add 6th gear for highway and improve fuel economy (look at BMW 3.0 I6, it can be done)
- add radio/cruise controls on the steering wheel as buttons, eliminate the cruise stalk
- make bigger trunk
- make gutsier and more adventurous designs, but not kid-ricey like the silver rear light surrounds
- add pressure pad under trunk grab handle to open it without using the key when doors are unlocked (like on the LS and all BMWs)
- make rear tires wider, at least another inch or two (currently, they look very Accord-like thin and wimpy)
- make rear defroster lines thinner so the tint looks better (that's a big complain of the window tinters)
- move homelink to the roof near the moonroof switches, when I have my sun visors down, I can't open the garage without moving the visor up
- improve the water channeling from front windshield so that the washer fluid does not end up on the side windows when used
- improve aero around the outside mirrors (I have always water coming out of them and leaving a water stain streak on the door when it is wet outside)
- add LED rear lighting
- make good cupholders
- add a safety plastic backing under rear license plate so it does not scratch paint underneath it (look at the 3 series, again)
- make the front of the hood a bit higher and reduce the apparent "tallness" of the windshield when looking at the front of the car
- put the airbag warning stickers on a surface from which they can be easily peeled off
- remove the compass from the rear view mirror (it looks so Chevy and has no real function)
- do not put plastic inserts where an optional equipment switch belongs, make a separate piece of plastic for every combination of switches (like the heated seats/traction switches area, BMW did this very nicely on the 3 series for the same switch group)
- redesign the oh-jesus overhead grab handle end plastic pieces so they don't snap off when the handle is used by passengers

Why is this guy driving an IS300? :lol:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Lextech1 said:

Trevor
I'm only 6' 0" and own a 2001.

That said, I'd like more head room. My hair is always getting messed up by the ceiling - it's more annoying just feeling that something is in your hair then being prissy :) And on certain bumpy roads, my head keeps hitting the ceiling.

Too much dash rattling under the stearing wheel.

Too hard to see out the rear of the car (for passing cars and switching lanes).

Compared to cars half the price, the dash material is cheaper in the IS.

Besides those things, I'm very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i believe he said it all. :lol: :lol:

- make bigger trunk
- add LED rear lighting
- make good cupholders
- redesign the passenger front airbag cover so that it does not show the ugly square backing
[/quote]

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jag3er has some very good points, a lot of his gripes are mine as well, some complaints seen very minor, but a lot of little things done wrong or that could have been done better are what draws the line between a "quality " feeling vehicle and a every day econo-box. In this market the little things are very important. If somthing bothers you about our cars post it here, the more feedback the better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No one has said it yet, so I will. How about a factory warrarnty supercharger. There is a TRD S/C for the Solara, Corolla, Tacoma, and Tundra.
I know Lexus prefers quality and longetivity over performance, but atleast offer it as a dealer add-on.
Wider rims would have been nice. I think our trunk size is just fine, I mean have you seen the trunk in the GS, that trunk is not much bigger than ours.

·
Registered
643 Posts
memory seats, control volume on steering wheel, hood shocks, and how about bringing in the gte engine. ill go buy the new IS right now, if it come with that block.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- too slow

·
Banned
538 Posts
jag3er said:
lexusloversdotcom said:
Why is this guy driving an IS300? :lol:
Because it was a good alternative to the Germans.

This guy asked for ways to improve it. I'm giving my feedback when asked, if the customers won't speak up, nothing will change.
True. But it appears your more UNHAPPY then happy with it. That's MY POINT....Plus you refer to the Germans...Which leads me to believe you'd be more satisified with them. :roll:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
TK288 said:
for sure everyone is gonna say more horsepower...but beside that, i wanna see the back seat fold down to put my snowboard!!! :pissed:
Word.
I want a folding rear seat, not some cheesy "ski pass" crap.
I overlooked that feature when I was buying my car because I thought it folds down from day 1. Until I got home.... :bitching:

I also like the rearview mirrow pointing down when the car is in reverse. It's a feature on my brother's TL-S, and I would like to see that on the IS also. We paid the same amount of $$, and it seems like he got more with his Acura. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.