Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Lexus ES300 before and 02 IS which I recently sold to get the new IS. All of these cars have the Power/ECT botton and although my cousin tried to explain it to me once I never understood what it did and when tryin it dint feel a difference, can someoen not only explain exactly what is the purpose of it but what exactly it does and does it take up more gas keep in on all the time or what? some details would be great

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't think it does much at all. I notice a difference with the snow button but not the power button.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
The PWR button changes the shift-points of the transmission. With the PWR button on... the transmission shifts up at higher rpms... and will downshift sooner. If you don't push the car a bit... you won't really notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Crester said:
The PWR button changes the shift-points of the transmission. With the PWR button on... the transmission shifts up at higher rpms... and will downshift sooner. If you don't push the car a bit... you won't really notice the difference.
^^^ True and even when you push the car you won't really notice a differrence. ;)

I B T Repost L

·
Registered
366 Posts
Crester said:
I also believe it changes the sensitivity in the throttle position (pedal).

·
Registered
29 Posts
The ECT-PWR button you see activates the Electronically Controlled Throttle when pushed. Basically what this does is downshift the transmission with less percent throttle and increasing the shift point to redline at WOT (wide-open throttle); thereby giving the illusion of being faster without actually giving you more "power"; it just allows the power of the motor to be attained sooner. The ECT unit is very sensitive to throttle inputs. I have a question though; although pretty lame. Do any of the 5-speed IS's have ECT since its tied in with VVT-i?? I'm sure its used for VVT-i purposes, but I wasn't sure if it actually had the unit. If you 5-speed guys can, can you pop your hoods and look at the throttle body to see if it says ECTS-i???
-Justin

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
yes 5 spds also have ects-i read Das's write up

·
Registered
94 Posts
5-speed does not have a "power" button, since shifts are manual. But it does have a "snow" option, which makes the throttle response a little slower. There was a thread on here awhile back that suggested using the snow button in stop and go traffic with the stick shift, to soften the "jerkies" in bumper to bumper, low gear situations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys...newbie here...just got a 2004 IS300 with 26k on it...5-speed e-shift, and you guys just explained what my ECT button does! Thanks. PS these cars are swank...love it, crome wheels stock, leather, beautiful yet mean looking car.

·
Registered
665 Posts
jonfrohnen said:
Hey guys...newbie here...just got a 2004 IS300 with 26k on it...5-speed e-shift, and you guys just explained what my ECT button does! Thanks. PS these cars are swank...love it, crome wheels stock, leather, beautiful yet mean looking car.
Wow holy shiat...a total FNG! w/ onlly 1 post. Congrads on the car and have fun wit it!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
jonfrohnen said:
Welcome to the IS300 community. Enjoy your new whip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts