Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes drive fast and jack rabbit from a light. Other times I punch it at highway speeds before I hit my exit, then I down shift with the eshift to help slow for the turn. And once in a rare while I let the rear slip out around a barren corner.

Generally though, I drive like a civialized human being. Do you consider this behavior to be very negative for the life of my car? Some people think I beat the sh!t out of it, while I know of some people who are much worse. Where do you place yourself?

(98' GS400, 57K)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I drive my car like I just stole it. I am definitely on the high side of abuse to my car. I do not redline it though and I try not to swing the rear out when I tear a corner. I can't help myself speeding between lights and I usually weave through heavy traffic on the LI Expressway or NY Thruway. The acura mechanic told me that the engine is 'true' and that it can take the abuse and I believe him. This car is still super quiet and the ride is still super smooth after 8000 miles of 'Ronin Inspired' driving. The IS300 IMO was built for agression and the ones that I have seen sure drive agressive which is cool.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i don't think there are rules for personal drivings preferences, of course safety is always first...
enjoy the fun of driving, especailly with the lovely IS300, after all, CARS-R-US...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
beating on it, would be NOT driving it like you just stole it

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by theanimala:
I sometimes drive fast and jack rabbit from a light. Other times I punch it at highway speeds before I hit my exit, then I down shift with the eshift to help slow for the turn. And once in a rare while I let the rear slip out around a barren corner.

Generally though, I drive like a civialized human being. Do you consider this behavior to be very negative for the life of my car? Some people think I beat the sh!t out of it, while I know of some people who are much worse. Where do you place yourself?

(98' GS400, 57K)
Doesn't sound like abuse to me. You can do a lot more harm by not taking care of maintenance issues like oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
sure, beating on it would not be running the piss out of it. the car should be driven hard to its full potential, if not, then you should have gotten a car with less hp.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i drive it like it was meant to be driven and i know it was meant to be driven a certain way because it always responds like i want it to when i want it to. i drifted my IS so many times and pulled so many doughnuts you would not believe, i have no second thoughts about stepping on it and floor it whenever i feel the urge. i have taken many turns at nice speeds and i have drifted a u turn going 60, but that was by accident. my car still gets 92 oct chevron with techron, washed weekly and oil changes early if not on the scheduled dates. drive on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well to clarify my point I get all 260 horses working under my hood. God Damn I say God Damn IS300 or CLS or 328 I would dog all of them evenly and as harshly. A toast to good stock options, great cars and great speed!!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Beating on your car:

1> Never changing the oil.
2> Revving to 5K in neutral, then moving the lever to drive.
3> Putting in regular (87 octane) gas.
4> Pulling a huge trailer uphill.
5> Pushing a large car with your IS300.
6> Haulting around bags of cement in the trunk.
7> Driving offroad.
8> Driving 50Mph over speed bumps.
9> Spilling a big gulp on your dashboard.
10> Dropping french fries under the seat.

It sounds like you are still being "nice" to your car....

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
agreed. the things teg listed would be beating on you car, also, not driving it would be unfair beating on your car also.

Originally posted by TEG:
Beating on your car:

1> Never changing the oil.
2> Revving to 5K in neutral, then moving the lever to drive.
3> Putting in regular (87 octane) gas.
4> Pulling a huge trailer uphill.
5> Pushing a large car with your IS300.
6> Haulting around bags of cement in the trunk.
7> Driving offroad.
8> Driving 50Mph over speed bumps.
9> Spilling a big gulp on your dashboard.
10> Dropping french fries under the seat.

It sounds like you are still being "nice" to your car....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts