Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking to get either an IS250 or IS350. When we were at the dealer, he steered us away from the IS350 by pointing out that the power will make it difficult to drive in the snow.

What do you IS350 owners in the upper East Coast (or other partially snowy areas) do in teh winter months? Do you park the IS350 for a few months? Is there some sort of traction control built in? Was the dealer right in stating that it is not that safe in the snow (seems hard to believe coming from Lexus)?

I really want the power of the IS350, but not at the expense of safety.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Good snow tires and careful driving and you'll be OK. It's also got snow mode that reduces the power. Sounds like the salesman doesn't have any in stock.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I took my IS350 over the Oregon mountains during the heavy snow during the beginning of january and it survived just fine. Snow chains were required so I slapped on my cables and it handled just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an IS350 in ottawa canada, and we get an obsene amount of snow, i have Blizzaks (snow tires) on the stock rims, and when it is snowing i will put it in snow mode, which limits power, and makes driving better.. your sales guy is an i.d.i.o.t. similar to most sales guys :)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I live in Connecticut. Like RAVZ ^ , I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks (LM25) that I have mounted in November through March on my stock 18" rims.

The car is perfectly driveable in the snow if you don't do anything stupid.

Your dealer is an idiot. For the first 2/3 of pedal travel, the IS350 isn't any different than the IS250. It's only when you mash it that the extra 100 horses come alive. So, like for any other car, just take it easy in the snow.

Here's my trusted '350 in the white stuff:

So go ahead and get the car you really want!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I really think I'm going to regret not getting the extra 100hp a year from now. We also have a POS 2001 Blazer that we were going to sell outright, but it is only worth $2-$3k. I think we should keep it and park the IS350 for two months of the year and drive wisely. Hopefully I'll be a new owner member here in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I really think I'm going to regret not getting the extra 100hp a year from now. We also have a POS 2001 Blazer that we were going to sell outright, but it is only worth $2-$3k. I think we should keep it and park the IS350 for two months of the year and drive wisely. Hopefully I'll be a new owner member here in a couple weeks.

You would be regretting the extra power within a day!
Test drive both cars and you'll see.

With snow tires you can drive your IS350 after roads have been plowed. At the height of the snow storm, use the Blazer indeed!

(see my sig below; why do you think my wife has a Jeep? :p )

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sell the blazer and buy a second set of winter rims/tires that are 17" with the sale proceeds.

·
Registered
787 Posts
ravz and cdes,

Thanks alot for the replies. I live in North Jersey and we haven't had any snow at all this year (except for right this minute), but I've often wondered/worried about how the car would be in a real snow storm. I'm originally from Canada, so I will be getting some snow tires when I move back, but your posts provided very valuable info!

About the power difference between the 250 and 350... as far as I'm concerned it is IMMENSE. They are two different cars. I've driving the 250 for 26 days and it was a great car, PROVIDED that I was spoile with the 100 extra ponies. There is NO replacing the power of the 350.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I live in New England... way more snow than you. Snow tires, common sense driving will do you fine.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Unless you are getting the AWD 250 there shouldn't be any difference in the snow as long as you don't floor it. You will have to be gentle with a RWD 250 as well, I think it's a mistake getting the 250 if snow is your only concern.

dedicated snow tires + common sense as with any RWD = fun in the snow and lots of fun in the summer

·
Registered
787 Posts
To the guys who got the Blizzaks... did you get the tire pressure sensors? If so, how are they connected, if not, has it had any ill effects on the electronics inside the car (ie: annoying light constantly on saying "pressure indicator is f*cked" ;))

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
To the guys who got the Blizzaks... did you get the tire pressure sensors? If so, how are they connected, if not, has it had any ill effects on the electronics inside the car (ie: annoying light constantly on saying "pressure indicator is f*cked" ;))
Yes, the light (triangle and !) is very annoying and it comes back if you cycle through any of the other informational displays. I purchased a set of sensors from Lexus at a very good discount price, but I think you can purchase compatible ones from Tirerack. Then you just need to get them programmed into the ECU by a dealer as a second set. If you choose aftermarket wheels make sure you can use the TPMS with them.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I avoided this problem by having them mounted on my stock wheels.

However I would recommend buying a set of 17" wheels and the TPMS sensors.
The sensors will put you back something like $700 plus the cost of getting them programmed by your dealership...

Why 17"? Because narrower tires with a taller sidewall fare better in the snow...

However if, like me in CT, you only see minimum snow amounts, reusing your summer rims will save you big buck$.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Do they have to be reprogrammed every year when you make the switch or is a one time thing?

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
My 350 handles perfectly well in the snow... I live in a suburb of Chicago. I have snow tires and I have a lot of fun driving in the snow, plowed or not.

My wife and I are looking to get either an IS250 or IS350. When we were at the dealer, he steered us away from the IS350 by pointing out that the power will make it difficult to drive in the snow.

What do you IS350 owners in the upper East Coast (or other partially snowy areas) do in teh winter months? Do you park the IS350 for a few months? Is there some sort of traction control built in? Was the dealer right in stating that it is not that safe in the snow (seems hard to believe coming from Lexus)?

·
Registered
106 Posts

I drive the RX330.

But if you don't have a second car to drive then snow tires would be your best bet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts