Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
I just sat through a class on dynamic systems as well as numerical analysis. Probability and statistics next and machine design after that.

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Got a little bit of work done over the last two days.

Yesterday, I bought a larger pump to run the lower pond fountain, it's 130 gph now instead of just 60-80 gph so that the water shoots higher.

Then I built up the remainder of the backfill under behind the waterfall area so that I could finalize the basin bed. It took forever getting those two capstones just right. Two small scraps of stone made the sides of the basin.

Upper Basin Ready by gold94corolla, on Flickr

For the waterfall overflow itself, I had to get creative. Took me a while to think of something suitable, but I managed to find the PERFECT thing. This black paper tray! It's perfect, because it's 10" wide (I wanted something wider than the old 8" waterfall), and it's just deep enough to match the height of the top capstone wall layer. And it's the perfect black finish.

Waterfall Piece (Paper Tray) by gold94corolla, on Flickr

I ended up only needing the first 4" of it. So today I cut it, then installed it with a piece of pond liner to form the waterfall basin.

Pond Liner Installed by gold94corolla, on Flickr

I had to stop for today though, since I have to wait for the glue to cure (glue holding in the black plastic waterfall and clear silicone all around the inside edge to seal it to the pond liner)

So I prepared one of the two bags of black lava rock by cleaning it really well.

Black Lava Rocks Cleaned by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Good thing I had some extra time afterwards, since the grass was WAY overdue for a cut. Didn't finish that until after dark.

Can't wait to work on this more tomorrow... 4 day weekend FTW!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Started my MSF course tonight. Pretty excited. If I pass, I'll be looking at a Kawasaki 650r on Tuesday :).

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Got some more work today. Since I cut the grass yesterday, and I had off work today, I was able to spray the yard with 4 bottles of Cutter bug killer before the bugs came out.

When I finished, I got back to work on the pond (no more mosquitoes eating me lol) since the silicone was cured.

Started by adding some lava rocks to the upper section and running the tube. Originally, I was going to split the 400 gph pump to both the upper rock fountain and the waterfall, but that didn't provide enough flow. So I had to run out to the store (took an hour) to find another pump... ended up getting a 250 gph pump just for the rock fountain, so that's over 600 gph coming over the waterfall. I also picked up some replacement 1/2" tubing, only to get home and realize that I needed 5/8" lol. Oh well, I made everything work.

Since the hose going to the waterfall ended up being full 400 gph pressure, it didn't want to stay in place. so I put some packing tape to hold it to the bottom of the liner, and then rocks on top of the tape to ensure that it never came off.

Spread the rocks around accordingly and fired it up. Just the perfect amount of flow to create a nice even spread of water over the fall!

Waterfall by gold94corolla, on Flickr

With that finally running smoothly, I was able to work on adding the rock fountain on top. Took a while of experimenting, since I needed to get the rock level and make sure that all of the water flowed off into the upper basin. Also, trying to run the tube so that it didn't twist and kink was hard.

But I eventually got it! The 250 gph pump has a flow regulator, which I needed to turn down, to prevent the water from just shooting out the top of the rock lol. It's at about 3/4 flow to achieve the right effect. Added more rocks around it to blend everything together.

Watercourse Completed 2 by gold94corolla, on Flickr

And the extra water volume just adds that much more to the waterfall. The result is perfect, just as I had planned. It looks like the waterfall is created solely by the upper rock fountain, you can't tell that there's an extra pump just to add waterfall volume.

Watercourse Completed by gold94corolla, on Flickr

With all of the pumps and everything in place (3 pumps lol), it was time to seal up the access point behind the wall. Expanding foam works perfectly to keep dirt and water out. After this pic, I trimmed off the excess, removed the bricks, and backfilled it.

Pond Access Sealed by gold94corolla, on Flickr

PS I'm taking water out of the pond on purpose to water plants, since I'm not using the spigot until I move it, and I'm going to empty the pond when it's all said and done and refill it with fresh clean water.

Plants tomorrow!!!

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Woke up early today (11:30) and decided to just finish the faucet relocation before planting anything.

Here's the new faucet. The shutoff is actually 12" back to prevent freezing, and it has the air release built right into the top this time.

New Anti-Freeze Faucet by gold94corolla, on Flickr

I drilled a small hole from inside the bathroom to determine the new faucet's location, then drilled a 1" hole from the outside, using the pilot hole as a guide.

Then I cut the piping to the old faucet and hammered it out. I had to dremel the siding where the new faucet was going to recess it flush.

New vs Old Faucet Location by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Then I ripped off the old layer of siding (since it had a hole and goop all over it) and replaced it with a new fresh piece. The new piece is long enough so that the seam will be close to the porch and unseen behind a bush.

Replacing Siding by gold94corolla, on Flickr

It was a huge PIA to put the new piece in, since it has to snap in the bottom and the top, and be nailed in. But I eventually got it, and screwed in the new faucet permanently.

Done!!!

Completed Wall & Faucet by gold94corolla, on Flickr

And the plumbing inside was pretty easy. I went through the knockout in the i-beam joist's web, and just glued everything together. Made a support for the new section just because.

New Plumbing Completed by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Fired it up, and no leaks!! Finally, no more water shooting all over the place outside, it's kinda weird lol. And the new location is perfect.

·
Mr. Roo
9,457 Posts
Not that anyone is here anymore, but here's today's pics

After church and errands, I got started around maybe 2pm. Did some other house stuff, then got to work on the garden.

The one brown section of short hose going from the new spigot to the reel box was slightly too short, so I extended it by splicing in a 10 inch section of ugly green hose in the middle, where it would be unseen behind the reel box.

10" Hose Extension by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Completed product, with a ziptie to hold the hose against the house

Completed Hose by gold94corolla, on Flickr

Then I added these solar LED butterflies that I had sitting around that someone randomly gave me lol. They are wired together, but I managed to hide the wire up under the siding.

Solar LED Butterflies Added by gold94corolla, on Flickr

The solar panel is up top, and I had to redo it later by just screwing the solar panel to the house instead of using the huge ugly clip.

They light up purple, pretty neat actually

Purple LED Butterflies Lit by gold94corolla, on Flickr

They work better than I thought, and nicely fill in that empty spot on the house.

I also completely redid the waterfall and rock fountain, removed it and all the rocks to check for leaks, then put it back together a little better (centered the rock fountain more). What a pain.

I finished backfilling the left upper section (6 more bags of dirt), which required 2 trips to Home Depot, since I didn't get enough the first time. Mulched it, and it's done up there!

I also got some more capstones cut, continuing towards the sidewalk, but then it rained.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts