Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS300 is one of the cars I am looking at. What else did you look at? I like the car as it looks sharp, handles well, etc. I do have some reservations about the back seat size, gas mileage, and RWD. I live in Western Canada and wonder how the drivability might be. Also, is it comfortable enough for long drives?

·
11,062 Posts
Well, the back seat wasn't an issue with me. I don't often have passengers. The mileage really wasn't a problem either; I don't drive THAT much. The IS was a financial stretch for me, but I think it was worth it. I hadn't had a car in 8 years. It was fun to shop.

I looked at:

Audi A4 2.8 (Seemed to me it had less room than the IS!)
Volvo S40
Volkswagen Passat
Infinity G20t
Toyota Camry (v6 engine)
Honda Accord (v6 engine)

...and then I drove the IS. WOW. I think it provides the most bang for the buck and I really believe the Audi would have more (and more expensive) maintenance problems. Plus, Lexus provides great service. I probably would have purchased the Accord if I hadn't been able to swing the IS. I've always had RWD cars in the past. Not a problem with the correct tires. You'll need snow tires up there in Canada.

All in all I think the "fun factor" and Lexus' reliable reputation sold me.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleSheila ]

·
Registered
128 Posts
BMW 328 & 330i
Celica gts
Eclipse GT
Mustang GT

and at last the one and only IS. Loved the F1 style AUTO-MAN transmission. I have neva bought an AUTO all my life but when i drove it the first time with Manual i knew it right away. Test Drive one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Audi A4 2.8
BMW 330i
Toyota GT-S
VW Jetta
MB C 240/320 ( kinda expensive on 320, but too low power on 240.. otherwise, it isnt that bad
)
Infiniti I30t
Acura CLS

my going list..

IS300
CLS
Audi A4 2.8
MB C320
Infiniti I30t
GTS
VW Jetta

WRX wasnt out at the time, otherwise, i'd test drive it. heh

and damn.. we dont have Mitsubushi in Canada, so no Eclipse spider!!!!!! @!#*@#*

otherwise, i kinda like that spider..

·
8,880 Posts
BMW 328i
Celica GTS 6Spd

One Test drive put IS300 in the Lead.

Back seat? I carry 5 passengers every once in a while on short trips. No problems there.
Gas Mileage. Well, can't do much about that. It's all about responsiveness of the car.
RWD? Oh, absolutely love it. In conjnction w/ LSD, it was the main selling point for me.
Snow? IS300+Snow Tires=Snowmobile

Long Rides? I've done 11hrs nonstop, alone. Wasn't tired at all. That's through VA and WV with all the S-curves and hills, which made it a really fun ride.

Overall, just love the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BMW 328 (till I looked at the price)
WRX (till I sat in it)
Audi A4 1.8T (till I drove it)
CL-S (nothing wrong with this one)
IS300

Drove 9.5 hours straight down into TX. Long boring roads and really nitpicky cops, but I was comfortable the whole time.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nissan Maxima SE
Saab 9.3 Viggen

At this point, if I were looking at the 2002 and didn't mind auto, I would be looking at the Jaguar X-type, as well as the Nissan Altima SE.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had some interesting ones. I'll list my choices in order.

1. IS 300 - new car that can be made real fast for as much as a base M3-plus I'm a Japanese car fan. So I have this and it will be turboed next week!

2. 2001 M3...would have had this if it came out last October...got tired of waiting (plus Skyline convinced me a straight 6 turbo is the engine configuration I wanted)...and the price of the car wasn't justified.

3. 1996 Skyline GT-R R33 - test drove one out in Vegas...car was awesome...but basically only realistic if you had it as a second car.

4. Custom low dollar Japanese car- Turbo Prelude power Civic hatch, or something along these lines...all cash outlay, can't finance mods really...plus it's been done over and over...wanted something unique.

5. Keep my Accord and have made it crazy...but buyout of lease finance was same price as leasing a new IS...and IS makes more power modded.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2001 Mercedes SLK 320
2001 BMW 330i
1996 BMW 840
2000 Lexus GS400
2001 Toyota Celica GT-whatever.

and of course, 2001 Lexus IS300.

I took me a long time to decide but the
IS was the best combination of performance,
reliability, and price. Given the current
state of the economy, I really could not
justify the Merc or GS. The Bimmers were
OK, but costs way too much for what you get.
I loved it the day I first drove it, I loved
it the day I bought, and I look forward to
getting up every morning to drive it. It was
the best decision I could have made.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey,

I'm from Calgary too and got me the IS300 about a 1 1/2 months ago. So far I love the car. Handles great. Back seats are fine but its a little cramped. Gas mileage is a little pricey, but it doesn't really bother me that much. Hey and the guys at the Stampede Lexus are great. I looked at a few cars before deciding on it.

1. Acura 3.2 TL Type S
2. BMW 330CI
3. Volvo S60
4. Audi 2.8Quattro

Let me know how that goes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I test drove the Acura TL and BMW 330Ci. I loved the way the Bimmer drove. The TL was okay. It had good acceleration though, and the car's interior was very spacious. I also loved the on-board navigation system. However, when I test drove the IS for the first time, I was sold. I knew when I first saw taht car, I was in "love." We went to Longo Lexus, and they told me they had a 2 month wait for a silver IS. I said forget it, and I went to Cerritos where they had one that just came off the boat last night. There was a deposit on it, but the guy couldnt committ so I got it. That was the absolute happiest day of my life.

Ahh..Memories. *tear*

·
Registered
362 Posts
I looked at:

1. Honda accord coupe v-6 ex
2. VW Jetta VR6
3. VW Passat
3. BMW 328

Out of all of those cars there wasn't one that really stuck out at me ya know? Then a friend suggested that I test drive an IS300 and wow there was no going back! I just took a 1300 mile road trip in the IS last week and carried 5 people and all their luggage (including me of course) fairly comfortably. Keep in mind that my sisters are your typical petite asians weighing 85-100 pounds.
But they sure made up their weight in all the crap they packed! But even so, I ended up buying a 13" TV for a really good price on the trip and still managed to fit it in the trunk minus the box. I will suggest getting a lumbar support pillow for yourself if you plan to drive for more than 3 hours, thats my only qualm about the car was that my back was killing me after driving 8 hours straight. Stopped at a kmart and bought myself a pillow soon afterwards.

·
Registered
224 Posts
BMW 328i
BMW 330i
Nissan Maxima SE
Audi A4 1.8T

Chose the IS because I wanted rear wheel drive and something different. Too many Bimmers on the road....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
1. Audi TT -- not enough space
2. RX300 -- too $$$
3. MB ML -- too $$$
4. S2000 -- not enough space
5. A4 -- not enough leg room for rear passengers
6. bmw 3 series -- sick of seeing bimmers

·
Registered
759 Posts
Cars: (why I didn't pick these)

SC400 (heavy, don't like V8's either)
E36 M3 (not as fast as 2001 M3, sick of block style)
Prelude (FWD, heavy, not as popular as ITR)
WRX (Subura's chip problems, door felt cheap, UGLY!)
330Xi (really heavy, BMW's AWD is icky, expense)
ITR (I have no idea)
CL-S (FWD, too elegant to look like a sporty)
MR2 (small, I would need a second car)
S2000 (small, I would need a second car)

I basically got IS300 because of the HID lights, relative to Supra engine, RWD, not too heavy, fit more then 2 people, weight distribution, nice seats, its NOT a BMW or a Honda...

Looking forward to a turbo someday, Navigation upgrade, maybe a manual tranny but I'm probably going to have to make a trade...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Supra turbo (mk4) (too many 650rwhp ones already out there)
IS300 auto to 6 speed conversion (too much of a pain in the ass, plus i wanted DVD nav)

settling on 5 speed manual (decided on this for my 650rwhp monster, if the trans can't hold it, i will go built auto for street, i mean drag/track racing)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
24 Participants
Gonzo
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing