Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously ya'll went with the IS300 for some reason, but what did you like about it better than the other competitors in the market?

What other cars did you/would you consider?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Number one for me was price. For two years ago the car was a bargain.
I was looking at the BMW 330CI back then but unfortunatly i could not afford that 40k price tag.

But after a yr and a half with the Lex i was finally able to get one back in Feb :D

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
G35 coupe. Couldn't find one.

TSX. Drove one and was totally unimpressed.

Found a great deal on a 2002 IS300 used, so I bought it, saved $6000 and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Audi A4 3.0
Pros: Nice build quality, AWD.
Cons: Car felt heavy, poor reliability, poor customer service

BMW 330i
Pros: Awesome driving experience
Cons: Price, poor reliability, poor customer service, BMW stigma

Infiniti G35 Sedan
Pros: Nice power, good reliability, good customer service
Cons: 80's interior, no MT, no sports package for test drive

Subaru Impreza WRX
Pros: AWD, fast acceleration, cheap (relative to others)
Cons: Turbo lag, interior quality

Acura RSX Type-S
Pros: Quick and nimble. Awesome steer and 6MT
Cons: 2 door, FWD, 4 banger

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
G35 Sedan or Coupe: ugly looking but powerful
didnt go with it cuz it makes me look TOO old

BMW 330 I/CI: too expensive, can't read german :lol:
many out there, too expensive, so i didnt buy it

350Z: family didnt want a coupe... :pissed:

·
Registered
476 Posts
G35 coupe - rediculous power but about 5k more than I wanted to spend
3 series - 3.25 was too slow and 3.30 was too expensive
A4 - AWD w/ decent power but poor reliability
Jetta VR6 - a bit too small
Mazda6 - Very inexpensive. The engine doesn't wake up until 3500+ rpms. I probably would have gotten the 6 if they offered the hatchback earlier this spring instead of next spring.
TSX - Torqueless rattlebox
Saab 9-3 - loved the exterior...hated the interior...overpriced

The IS is in the middle of this price range and in the top half of performance among these cars. It had the best interior of all of these cars and the 3 best exterior looks (behind the G35 coupe and A4). Just my opinions.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mazda6 - Couldn't get a hold of a manual v6...but was very impressed with the car itself

325 - Not much for the price...wanted more performance then headaches

S2000 - Decided I wanted a 4 door and something that was semi practical for winter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
G35 SEDAN- Ugly interior and felt too heavy.

Nissan Maxima- Did not care for the redesign, felt like an elephant on roller skates

Nissan Altima- Cheap interior

Mitsubishi Evo 8 - Base model lancer with Brembo's, Turbo, and all wheel drive. (just couldn't justify the price).

I'm a service consultant at a mitsubishi dealer so I took alot of grief cause I didn't buy a Mits. :lol:

·
Registered
471 Posts
:-? evo8 - wife wants an auto
MB C230 sport sedan - slow but nice rear side airbags
BMW 325i sport package - not impressed, old dash, slow(vs evo8)
G35 coupe and sedan - ugly

·
Registered
476 Posts
Oh...and anything with wood trim was instantly stricken from my list. Just awful.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Finally narrowed it down between the IS & the TL-S.

TL-S: required modifcations to suspension/brakes out of the box compared to IS stock, too big of a car to get around in traffic, FWD

All I had to do was test drive the IS and my decision was made...

·
Registered
66 Posts
G35 sedan-- fast, fun to drive in stick, didn't handle as well as I wanted, NASTY interior

Acura TSX-- nice 6-sp gearbox, gutless and soulless

WRX wagon-- fun, more powerful than i thought, lses $$$, cheap build quality

had considered:
Altima- cheezy interior, FWD
Saab 9-3-- does anyone know what all those buttons inside do?, FWD
Prius hybrid-- just for shits and giggles, though i think the new one has some cool features that i'd like to see in other Toyotas/Lexii

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
G35 sedan and coupe: sedan=UGLY rear; coupe=selling over MSRP-not worth it.

RX-8: couldn't even find an automatic to test drive. had to put down a deposit on the car before i even saw the car. NOT worth it the hassle factor. iffy maintenance record for rotary engines. selling at MSRP or higher at the time.

A4: good value, looks good, but i wanted japanese handling and braking, not german, when it came down it. and there was nothing "special" about the car...also, 1.8T engine=not fast enough. 3.0 quattro wasn't really worth the money.

used M3 automatic: only made for a couple years in the late 90's. couldn't find a decent used one for a good price. also iffy maintanance.

toyed with the idea of a used mustang GT convertible...i've always wanted a convertible, and it seemed like the mustang GT would be fun for 2-3 years. then i woke up & realized i didn't want to drive that car for that long! :D if the urge for a convertible ever hits me, i can always go rent one! :lol:

oh, i almost forgot about the used CLKs i was looking at...those are SWEET cars. but the one i wanted was in texas, and i didn't want to buy it based on pics alone. and i didn't think a trip to texas just to check out the car was worth it...

and i've always liked the IS, ever since it came out...so it was a pretty easy decision to make. the only hard thing was deciding WHEN to get it...e.g. waiting for the new body style in 2005 or getting the SD this year...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
G35 coupe
Pros: Fast and a better interior than the Z
Cons: Ugly

330CI
Pros: Car felt solid, liked the body styling
Cons: Mods cost way too much and the car is overpriced

350Z
Pros: Fun car to drive
Cons: Crappy interior

Overall, I went with looks and price over the speed and I'm happy that I did.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a 2000 Honda Civic Si....tired of no torque, and afraid to park that car anywhere because it was theft magnet. I wanted more Luxury. And wanted to leave the "kid ricer" crowd.

BMW 328 - too pricey, and too many of them out there. A 330xi was what I was looking at but waaaay to pricey. Cost of repairs later in life. You've seen one, you've seen them all. M3 Coupe.....I'll keep dreaming.

TL Type S - Good value, but it was going to be replaced soon. It's just a bigger, more pricey Accord. I hate my local Acura Dealer ( Prestige Acura of Santa Rosa, CA is terrible). Didn't want FWD

G35 Sedan - Nice motor, but not very smooth sounding to me. Interior was dreadful. Retail value of a SAAB. No one seems to be impressed by anyone driving an Infiniti (usually will recieve a blank stare) Why can't Nissan/Infiniti make a rear end of car look half-way decent?!

MB C-class - pricey. nice interior. C240 was the only one in my price range. The C320 was too costly.

Volvo S60 - it's a damn Volvo. The S60R wasn't available at the time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
TL-S
had one, and totalled it...was going to get another with insurance money, but parents didn't want me driving around in a 260-hp car anymore. definitely missed the power on that car...but the IS is much funner to drive...
however, with the new TL offering 6MT and 270-hp...its hard to say which one i'd prefer...

BMW 3-series
everyone and their moms have one...also didnt like the fact that in order to get option A, you need to get option B, but in order to get option B you need to get option C, BUT if you want option C, you must also add option D...so in the end, the car is $5000 more than you expect it to be.

G35 Sedan
nice...but just too damn ugly...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts