Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in no way designed to flame anyone...I am just trying to get a handle on what the general opinion is in this forum.

If you were upper middle class and had a son or a daughter (neither of whom were crack heads) what car would you provide them with?

Personnally, I don't think I'd throw down $35K on a car for a rookie driver. I would buy my daughter a reliable and safe car. I drove Jettas in high school, or maybe an Integra. Be advised that I make some phat cash in Sales of PC-IGs. Furthermore, I don't think I'd let her rice that pig out. Man do I sound like a mean Dad or what?

At any rate, I am not jealous I am merely pointing out that of all the things the kid will need a $35k car is not high on the priority list...I am thinking a Jetta or Integra + a college eductation is a pretty good deal.

Agent Smith out

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm thinking like a used space shuttle like those things on the Jetsons. I figure by the time my kids drive (12 and 14 years from now) maybe we all will be tooling around in space bubble-mobiles! Of course, I would only buy an import spacemobile. Domestics will probably still suck.

[This message has been edited by cardinal_creek (edited October 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'd buy him/her either a VW Beetle with the handbrake permanently engaged or an IS300. They're both about the same speed. Vroom vroom!

On a serious note, I wouldn't buy them a car unless they needed it for school or they could afford to pay the insurance. My younger sister has gotten into many accidents and doesn't recognize the ramifications because my parents are paying for insurance.

[This message has been edited by Chiphead (edited October 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
62 Posts
considering the fact that a car is still a luxury item to me, i'd buy a safe, but well used car for my kid (when that time comes). i find it hard to spend $35k on myself! something like a used jetta or a camry or accord or something. definitely no more than $10k

my opinion.

------------------
IS 300 ???
Not yet, but maybe soon....

1995 Ford Contour Zetec GL -- Modded

http://www.contour.org

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Any used honda or toyota. They are somewhat reliable depending on the previous owner and insurance will be low.

My $.02

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i will probably have my IS for a long time to come, since it is my first car and all, i'll probably keep it for the rest of my life, at least it will last pretty long since i treated it like gentleman during breakin...id probably give my minime the IS to learn in. of course it'll be hella old and probably outdated but at least it is good quality and i kno its been well taken care of. assuming the cars are still earthbound and not hovercraft in around 20 years...give or take.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well I'm probably going to keep my E55 through the time I eventually get married have kids until they wreck it.....
Eric....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
well, I am still far from that stage. but anyway
if I have a son and I am:
rich:
acura integra, audi A4, or IS300

not so rich:
honda civic, honda accord, I actually like honda civic a lot

poor:
bicycle

·
Registered
455 Posts
Damn, I'd hate to be your son Agent Smith J/k

But seriously, I think it all depends on the individual. There are some very responsible young people out there (I consider myself to be one of them). So if their parents can offer them nice cars, why not?

When I have kids of my own, their first cars would be very well built, mid sized , quality automobiles but not extremely fast ones. So if I had kids right now I would probably buy them BMW 3 series (except M3), Audi A4, IS300, Acura TL, or MB CLK320. The only type of vehicle that I would not consider buying for my kids are SUVs.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just think that a dopey kid (even smart ones) phuc up too much while driving...giving a young pup 200+ HP is an accident waiting to happen. I'm not saying they need to drive a hunk of $hit, I'm just saying toss them a decent/reliable car and put the rest into their damn college fund. Can't have morons in my family(I should be the only one)

PS - if you were my son, I'd probably smack you around and make you mow the lawn, and pick up the dog crap...so count your blessings.

[This message has been edited by Agent Smith (edited October 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
162 Posts
College + $15G for a car. If they want something nicer, they could pay the difference. I'd cover all payments if they'd maintain a 3.5+ GPA in college.

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will never buy my kids a car no matter what my income may be. Why? Because they'll never appreciate it and take care of it as they would if they buy one with their own money. Make up some job for them to make the money to fund it, you bet, but to walk them down to a lot and plop the money down for them forget it!

I know the first argument is going to be from those on this list who's parents did actually buy them his/her car and say that they do appreciate it. Good for you. You are a rare individual. I just remember the difference between those who got their own or who had mom and dad get it for them when I was growing up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Toronado,

I do agree with you. My parents never (couldn't) bought me anything that I didn't need to survive. I worked hard through HS to be able to afford my own set of wheels.

After spending over 4 long years in college, I feel that I'd rather have my kid concentrate on his/her studies rather than try to keep a job to pay for a car. It's really a tough choice for me cuz I want them to have the same appreciation that I did for my belongings. At the same time, I rather see them have an easier time in college to better develop themselves and their career.

I bought my own cars, lived on my own since I was 14 and recently put myself through college. Yes, it is a character builder, however, I'd like to give them some opportunities that I didn't have.

------------------
Perception IS Reality

[This message has been edited by Almost There (edited October 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by Toronado:

I know the first argument is going to be from those on this list who's parents did actually buy them his/her car and say that they do appreciate it. Good for you. You are a rare individual.
i'd have to say that i am on this list. although my first car was a used $1500 chevy monte carlo. it was in good shape, but it was old and unexciting. and i appreciate it because i know my folks worked hard to get that car for me. with my schedule in high school (sports, extra-currics, etc..), they didn't have the felxibility to drive me to and from all the time. but i DID pay for my own gas, insurance, maintanance, etc... so, i tried. and my college degree was their reward.

i DO have a problem, however, with kids who drive brand new cars, wreck them, and then their folks get them ANOTHER brand new car. one kid from high school wrecked two brand new corvettes until he learned how to drive them. he still drives his third, but all three were bought by his parents. and they also paid his insurance!!! that makes me sick!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Used Corolla...

But I have 14 1/2 years before I really need to think about it. By then I could probably get a 15 year old 2001 IS300 for chicken scratch.

With the twins I will need to get 2 cars at the same time, so that will really cramp the budget...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
Used Corolla...

With the twins I will need to get 2 cars at the same time, so that will really cramp the budget...
So will two college tuitions (if you choose that route). I will have two tuitions for at once for only two years, not four...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts