Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanx to everyone who has helped me with my new/used '01 thus far. I will be posting more questions but will come as they they come up.

Anyway, after some thought about the future aspiration for my IS, I have decided to post questions.

Keep these things in mind.

1. I have an incomplete SRT intake installed. (no piggybck ecu, wrong filter, etc...)
2. I have the apexi S-AFC installed.
3. Pro1? headers, Greddy EVO cat back exhaust installed.
4. Car does not run correctly yet. (poor acceleration, CEL)
5. I plan on going turbo at some point in the near future.

I have been given the suggestion to purchace the correct filter element, and ECU (tuned for headers) for the SRT, and sell the S-AFC. I will most likely buy an entirely new SRT kit, with header tuned ECU.

Honestly, right now, I could care less about the 1-3 hp gains the S-AFC may give me.

If I go turbo should I still keep the S-AFC?

In the meantime, If I decide not the buy a new SRT kit and keep the S-AFC, does anyone know a tuner here in Houston, TX that will tune this thing? If so please PM me with your location, and approx. price for tuning.

Chris

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
If you go turbo, you will not need the S-AFC, also if you get a Re-tuned RECU Piggyback from SRT, you still wont need the S-AFC

·
8,880 Posts
No matter how you look at it, you still need a working intake system in order to run your car. The one you have right now is really out of wack.
IMO, you should either get a Turbo or a new SRT HFI system.

BTW, I have a used SRT HFI for sale, including Piggy-Back.
The Heatshield is bent, but you have one already.
PM me, we might be able to work something out.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
in theory the srt piggyback is just a preprogrammed AFC specifically made for the intake + etc. however if you already have an AFC, getting it tuned will probably work out better for you since it will be programmed specifically for your car and it's mods.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think the first thing you should do get your car back in a working state. I think the easiest way of doing that would be to get a used OEM intake from someone. Once you get your car running normally, then you can think about future mods. I don't know what harm can be done with an SRT intake w/o the correct MAF settings.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SRT says that their intake kits will not be available until two weeks or longer. Somthing to do with machinery. So I need an SRT "Race" intake, anyone have one FS. I will post a WTB in the correct forum.

Chris

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
personally if i were you i would sell as much as i could as soon as i could since you are going turbo. Everything you have will be negated by the F/I system, such as intake, headers, afc. So i would begin by selling the SRT intake tube with the crappy filter, as we all know it is a rare occasion for someone to sell JUST the tubing without the piggyback. That will be taken off your hands in a hearbeat by someone. Use that money to get a hold of an OEM intake and just get ur car running again so you can drive it will you get boost. Sell the afc and headers after that and wiat for the boost. my .02

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Get the car running properly before doing anything else. Post a WTB stock intake in the sales forum. I'm sure someone that has a SRT intake has one sitting in their garage. I'm not even sure if the hacked up SRT intake you currently have is worth anything or if anyone would want to buy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts