Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They posted this in the states but we can't relate (hey that rhymes). What brand of gas does everyone use. So far my car only has 4500 kms and I have only put Petro Canada 94 octane but is as expensive as liquid gold. I'd like to see what everyone else uses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
chevron 94 octane.

·
11,061 Posts
Only stuff I've ever used in Canada was Shell, Chevron and Husky. Husky is the only one of the three I haven't seen down here in the States. It burned just fine. I prefer Chevron or Shell at home.

But geeze, the stuff costs a LOT up in Whistler!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I use any major brand 91 octane. That means Petro Canada, Shell, Esso, Beaver (which is shell), etc. Sometimes I get a little scared of using the Ma & Pa gas stations... or the budget gas stations.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
sil-300 said:
chevron 94 octane.
Where are there chevrons in Canada?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
For you guys using 94 octane... do you actually notice any difference???

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I used Sunoco 94 for a year, I switched to shell v-power now just because its more convinent, EasyPay and air miles.

I really don't think you can tell the difference between the major brands as long as you're using 91+

·
Registered
140 Posts
Crester said:
Where are there chevrons in Canada?
we have chevron's all over the place here in Vancouver, B.C.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I used Esso Premium 91 (used to be 92) from day one up until a few months ago. I'm now using Shell V-power 91. It seems to gives better milage.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
ONLY Sunoco 94...

I've read an article years ago on the different qualities of gasoline
in Canada --> Apparently PetroCanada and Shell has the worst
gas. (this was in 1995 ish)

I find a difference in the 94 Octane.

j

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My father works for Shell, and apparently the constant usage of Shell gas gives problems to certain American made vehicles (Dodge Caravans especially), which was addressed as boman says about I believe 3 years ago or so. For most Japanese and European vehicles, no problems. I'm not too sure about Petro Can gas causing problems. Anyways, thought that this would be interesting to know. Esso and Shell have a contract to supply gasoline for one another upon running out. So SOMETIMES if you're using Esso gas, you're actually using Shell gas or vise versa. From this I believe it's hard to say whether a certain brand of gas is crappy, because many gas stations share the same gasoline contractor. Even the majority "no name" gas stations use gasoline from the major gas companies. So Crester, there's no need to worry.

Using a higher octane gasoline = more mileage, but it balances out more or less in regards to the price one pays for 94 compared to the price another pays for 91. Obviously the mileage for the 94 will be slightly above that of 91. To each his/her own. Whatever works for you.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
boman said:
ONLY Sunoco 94...

I've read an article years ago on the different qualities of gasoline
in Canada --> Apparently PetroCanada and Shell has the worst
gas. (this was in 1995 ish)

I find a difference in the 94 Octane.

j

What difference do you actually notice? Is it worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
LEXIGRL said:
Using a higher octane gasoline = more mileage, but it balances out more or less in regards to the price one pays for 94 compared to the price another pays for 91. Obviously the mileage for the 94 will be slightly above that of 91. To each his/her own. Whatever works for you.
You have been misguided. Using an higher octane gasoline does not automatically equate to better fuel milage in this case.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Crester said:
What difference do you actually notice? Is it worth the extra cost?
I noticed better fuel economy and overall performance of the motor.
It seems to run smoother. ---> This is not a statement that says
"use 94 it's better", it's just been my preference.

j

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Never noticed a difference from using 91 or 94 octane gasoline.
Using Petro or ESSO sometimes gives off this burning egg smell in the cabin when I'm WOT. Don't have that same burning smell using Shell.

If I see a sunoco, I'll fill up on 94 octane..otherwise, it makes no difference to me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts