Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Its about time to change out my brake fluid, anybody got any good brands or recommendations for what kind to use? I drive my car pretty hard sometimes.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I would just bring it into the dealer for that. I know its an easy job to do however cars with anti-lock brakes sometimes can be tricky. But I believe Redline Performance makes some good brake fluid.

Mike

·
8,107 Posts
Remember the higher the boiling point on your brake fluid, the faster it will degrade (lower boiling point). If you do not track your car, I would just get what the factory uses, don't get a high BP fluid like ATE Blue. You will never boil your fluid just driving hard on the street.

·
Registered
286 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2001-12-12 11:04, ckolsen wrote:
Remember the higher the boiling point on your brake fluid, the faster it will degrade (lower boiling point). If you do not track your car, I would just get what the factory uses, don't get a high BP fluid like ATE Blue. You will never boil your fluid just driving hard on the street.

</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I heard that BMW uses ATE Super Blue in their cars these days. Do they recommend you change it more often?

Was thinking about putting ATE Super Blue in my Q45, but may reconsider if I risk faster degredation of the fluid.

·
8,107 Posts
I don't think BMW uses ATE Super Blue in any of their cars, they normally spec a DOT4 fluid. I don't know about cars like the M3/M5, but again I'd guess just DOT4, since that's fine for street use.
Basically a 500 F boiling point fluid will degrade to 300F in roughly the same time a 400F fluid will degrade to 300F, for example. The only danger of old fluid is boiling, and that's only gonna happen under repeated hard braking, not general (even hard) use. I change my ATE Super Blue every 6 months or so, or every 4-5 track days.

<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2001-12-12 19:23, gregboyer wrote:
Really? I heard that BMW uses ATE Super Blue in their cars these days. Do they recommend you change it more often?

Was thinking about putting ATE Super Blue in my Q45, but may reconsider if I risk faster degredation of the fluid.

</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts