Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock battery is dying on me finally and I need a new battery. I'm looking into either a red or yellow top Optima. I've searched and found that many think the 75/35 fits best. What's everyones opinion?

I plan on adding a sound system in a few months and a Viper alarm. I currently have under dash LED strips that don't require much power but are always on when the heads are on. I also sometimes like to have the radio playing with the car off, besides that I currently don't have any ICE.

Should I go more towards the yellow or red top?

·
Registered
48 Posts
odessey batteries are really good too all emergency and law enforcements use these batteries to run their equipment which take more draw than your stereo systems and think about it they sit in a spot for 30 min to an hour with motor off with everything on or on a scene for average of 3 hours with engine off and everything on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
odessey batteries are really good too all emergency and law enforcements use these batteries to run their equipment which take more draw than your stereo systems and think about it they sit in a spot for 30 min to an hour with motor off with everything on or on a scene for average of 3 hours with engine off and everything on.
Not that it really matters, but I work for a fire department, and I can tell you we never leave our trucks off with the power accessories on. In fact we have a "high idle" function that revs the motor higher to boost the alternator power. As for the cops, I've never noticed them turning off the cars either. Strobe lights suck a lot of power, plus there is a million other accessories. In addition, when we park in the station, the vehicles get plugged into a power supply.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
bumping this to find an answer

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the Optima Redtop, definently notice a difference, the car starts up much faster... I haven't tried using the radio with the car off yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd say go with the yellow top. it's a deep cycle battery that provides consistent voltage as the battery discharges. I've heard really good reviews from friends that have it. I'm sure the red top is fine too. But if you're going to listen to music with you're car off I'd recommend disabling your DRLs or putting a switch on it since those are on also, which often kills the battery (personal experience). But then again, you probably already did that seeing the list of mods on your car.
anyway, if money isn't an issue go with YELLOW!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
hm...seeing how you posted it in april...you probably already bought your battery. hahahahahahahaha....yeah ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts