Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Window Vents to let Air in while you're tracking the car with windows up and no AC.
or
*SPG (Smiles per Gallon) I read that somewhere today and laughed. These guys crack me up! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
But.... . just.... open the window? Or am I missing something entirely :lol:
I think they're used in certain applications to replace the heavy glass with Lexan for example. Not only can you save weight per window, you can pull the entire motor assembly and anything else to save weight.

·
Mr. Roo
9,230 Posts
I think they're used in certain applications to replace the heavy glass with Lexan for example. Not only can you save weight per window, you can pull the entire motor assembly and anything else to save weight.
Yeah, that's when I've seen it legit, when you replace the whole window and door panel with lightweight, safer materials (don't want glass shattering all over the place). I always thought these window vent things were just for looks, to have that "racecar" look.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In rallying something like that(but actually functioning) can be used on the windows in the rear to keep the air flow trough the car to keep temps down in cabin. But they are only used on the rear windows, to get a proper air flow, and you pull the window up against it, not through it. ( The holes should be open otherwise it loses it´s function, duh)

The reason for that being is that you are not allowed to compete with windows down in case you roll you car. The glass is supposed to keep stuff inside the car while rolling (including your arms) and also stuff out from the car while rolling, the glass is covered with a thick see through plastic film that keeps the glass from shattering.

So that was the original intent of them.

But in this video it´s just for decoration i guess.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Given they would be right in my line of vision i wouldn't think they would be good in the fronts, the rears would be fine. If there are fixed Lexan windows in the front surely you would be better off having vents directly in them, similar to race car setups?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Pnut00
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing