Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Kompressor engine is a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder supercharged engine good for at least 185hp and 0-60 in 6.6 and a 1/4 mile at 15 seconds. I think the 4matic just means it's a 4 speed automatic (I think).

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
IStheBest ... the Kompressor designation on a Mercedes-Benz means that the engine has a supercharger. I believe MB opted for a supercharger over turbo because it has virtually no lag and therefore better efficiency.

------------------

Peabers
'01 IS300 Graphite Grey Pearl/Black Cloth LSD

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most manufacturers go with Turbo for some reason, is this the first to come stock with a supercharger?

------------------
-IStheBest-

·
Registered
78 Posts
No quite a few manufacturers go with s-chargers. Jaguar s-charges its XJ, (the XJR), Pontiac (GrandPrix GTP, Bonneville SSEi) and Buick (Regal and Park Avenue) both have s-charged engines, the 38. liter engine. Thats all i can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Duesenburgs and Mercedes both supercharged their cars seventy years ago. This is no new technology but it's still damn good when done right.

Originally posted by IStheBest:
Most manufacturers go with Turbo for some reason, is this the first to come stock with a supercharger?

[This message has been edited by brad (edited January 04, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My 1988 Toyota MR2 has a factory supercharger.

Yeah - most benzes with the Kompressor logo have the nasty 4 cylinder engine...

*BUT* watch out - they will soon start shipping 340hp v6 supercharged (Kompressor) engines in cars like the C32AMG and perhaps even an AMG CLK.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Hmm...I don't think there will be a CLK 32, since there is already a CLK 55. However, there is an SLK 32 equipped with a supercharger (see newest R&T w/ the M3, 911 Carrera, and Corvette Z06 on the cover).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Supercharging isn't all that uncommon. As mentioned above - GM has been supercharging the 3.8 for quite some time in both Buick and Pontiac models. Ford has also been supercharging several motors (also mentioned above) - their supercharged 3.8 was in the Thunderbird for quite a few years in the 90's, the Jag as mentioned is current, and the supercharged Ford Lightning pickup gets bumped to 380hp for 2001 - serious yee-haa factor in that one.

In the not so recent past, Auburn and MB both used superchargers back in the 30's.

How did we not get bumped to the parking lot on this one?

Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
TSoich
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing