Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
to reduce weight therefore increasing performance, although a lot of misguided tuners put a carbon fiber hood on with chrome 20 inch wheels and a 300lb sound system so it doesnt do much for them, just for looks, like all them stickers and 4 feet high spoilers.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
And to make your car more like a race car...

The price/performance ratio doesn't make sense on a road car (thats why you don't find much in the way of road cars made out of carbon fiber).

If you look at F1, Indy and other "high dollar" race cars, they have bodies made entirely out of carbon fiber because it offers the best (currently available) strength/weight ratio (albeit at a high cost).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Actually, best strength to weight is Kevlar, it is lighter and stronger than carbon fiber. The reason for the use of carbon fiber is that it is the stiffest of all composite commercially available. A carbon fiber hood does not really save you that much weight because most tuners don't have good fiber/resin ratio, and you are not going to see a big increase in the structural rigidity from a carbon fiber hood either. However, if you have a carbon fiber body panels, such as the HKS Altezza, then the story changes, because it can stiffen up the chassis by a great deal.
Oh btw, the reason for the high cost is not the material, it is the construction process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since the real IS hood weighs a tonne, I'd think a carbon fibre hood would help the F/R weight distribution; closer to 50/50, like a eurospec IS200. It'd be interesting to see what the numbers were.

Not that I'd do such a thing.

bonestockbaybee!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I don't know, I don't really think it will be that much lighter. How heavy is the stock hood? 20lb or so? You maybe able to get to 10lb if you know your composite well, but you may as well do what TEG wants to do about the battery. Cheaper and easier to do, and better result. If you really want, there are lighter materials out there you can use (one is called aerogel, but I won't go there unless anyone is interested), which can reduce your hood weight significantly.
Now if you can replace the entire bumpers, fenders, and door panels with carbon fiber, then you will seriously lose some weight. But so will your bank account.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The hood is unusually heavy; it must weigh at least 50 lbs. Altough i'm used to hydrualics, not prop rods so maybe it's not as heavy as it seems. Anyone else care to guess?

But yea you're right, it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

cheers

mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Chiphead:
Just curious.
carbon fibre hoods are usually lighter (i expect it would be quite a bit lighter then the stock IS3 hood which seems really heavy) but they tend to flap in the wind quite a bit as well if installed improperly...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That's why I said carbon fiber hoods you get out there are usually not that much lighter than stock hood.
50lb? wow, I never thought it could be that heavy. Well, for a 6-ply carbon fiber hood, you are probably looking at around 15 lb or so. I think a good carbon fiber hood that is build with honeycombs for strength and rigidity should be around 15 to 20lb, which compare to the stock hood at 50lb (if that's correct), then it maybe worth to get it. But think about how much it will cost though, I still think it is better to move the battery to the back rather than spend a thousand or so for a hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts