Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

About to install an aftermarket screen into the factory sat nav housing. was wondering if you guys could tell me from experience which screens fit the housing without having to modify it.

cheers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was thinking about using the magellan 7 inch, but havent got around to ordering one in. hopefully someone will chime in on this one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was also looking for an aftermarter screen that is known to work. But I wonder how the Magellan RoadMate 1700 7-Inch would work. Let me know if you do decide to go that route and how it turned out.

·
Boosted Troll
1,360 Posts
**fyi**

from what i have done personally, you dont need to connect the (-) of the Illumination.
just the 4 wires for:

Illumination (+)
Ground
Power
Acc

connecting the negative Illumination from the board to the wire blows a fuse for Interior lights. i have been running for a while now with just the four wires without a hitch.

As far as a screen many people have custom fit numerous different types. some had bezels some were bare screens.
i personally am hunting down a bare screen to go in my housing.
i should have everything in order for next weekend but i will keep you posted.

It all depends on what you want to do with the housing also. what inputs it may or may not need.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Does anybody think it is possible to get the TomTom XXL 540TM 5-inch GPS unit to fit into the stock NAV housing?

I need to know if this is at all possible with custom moulding or whatever it takes. My aftermarket GPS has a bezel and is kind of rounded, but it would be really great if I could get it to work somehow. Anybody?

·
Boosted Troll
1,360 Posts
a lot of things will fit and some wont. depends on if you have the 5.5" opening or the 7" opening. but that Tom Tom looks oddly shaped ( not sayin it wont fit) and im assuming it gets power from USB?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Yes, it comes with a cigarette adapter and can also be hard-wired. Would the 5.5" or 7" opening be better? Does anybody have experience with this and knows what 2010 portable GPS device would fit with the stock NAV housing? (DVD/MP3 player a plus)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm talking about just a monitor screen, not a portable gps. seen a few portables done, but custom work has been done to most of them.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I was also looking for an aftermarter screen that is known to work. But I wonder how the Magellan RoadMate 1700 7-Inch would work. Let me know if you do decide to go that route and how it turned out.
I was also wondering is this GPS would fit. The dimensions for the Magellan RoadMate 1700 are 0.6 x 7.5 x 4.2 inches. Can anybody chime in? I might just buy the factory 7" GPS housing & the Magellan RoadMate 1700 to try it out. Unfortunately, I can't return the factory GPS housing so I need to make sure.

Edit: After comparing the dimensions of what is known to fit snugly, it would seem that the Magellan RoadMate 1700 doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
a lot of things will fit and some wont. depends on if you have the 5.5" opening or the 7" opening. but that Tom Tom looks oddly shaped ( not sayin it wont fit) and im assuming it gets power from USB?
alot of tom toms do not shut off and on automatically when power is disconnected from the cig lighter. it has to be manually press the on and off button and if its mounted into the factory motorize navi bezel, that will be a problem. something to think about before you purchase.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hey guys, I took the dimensions of the Alpine TME-M770 that is known to fit just right. So any screens close to these dimensions should work. Any big difference should require modification of the factory Nav Housing Opening area.

6.34 x 4.29 x 1.12 in
(converted from mm from online instruction manual)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the non nav dash wiring harness have the plug for adding nav? My 2002 doesn't have factory nav, but would like to add a nav unit and double din unit as well. I've searched but havent found if anyone has done this on a non nav car

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Does the non nav dash wiring harness have the plug for adding nav? My 2002 doesn't have factory nav, but would like to add a nav unit and double din unit as well. I've searched but havent found if anyone has done this on a non nav car

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
No, The entire harness was different. You would need to patch one in after taking out of another car. Much better to go aftermarket head unit with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts