·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I decided what CD's will be in the in-dash player. They are:

-Springsteen- greatest hits
-INXS- greatest hits
-G Love and Special Sauce- "Yea, it's that easy"
-Stevie Wonder- "Song in the Key of Life" (disk #1)
- Rolling Stones- Hot Rocks (disk #1)
- The Eagles- greatest hits

I don't want a car load of cd's so we'll vote a disk out after a few weeks.

And we're thinking of starting a tribal council to do it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Damn profchriss, you must be old.

My player will hold 6 cds of converted mp3 songs -- A wide variety of only the songs I like. What would we do w/o Internet?

·
13,978 Posts
benster: have you tried playing burned cd's in your IS. i converted some mp3's and burned them onto a cd-r but the stereo in my IS keeps skipping. it plays but after a while the music skips. i tried it in the test drive car at the dealer and the same thing happened! i'm using imation disks....does anyone else have this problem???

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've been playing CD-Rs since I got the car almost 4 weeks ago - no problems. I use Sony or TDK media.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My 10CD changer in my MR2 currently has
Rush Chronicles (1 & 2)
Best of Fleetwood Mac
Best of Steely Dan (a definate for the IS300)
Best of Peter Gabriel
Best of David Bowie
Joe Satriani - surfing with the alien
and a few CD-Rs that I burned from other material.

I am thinking I might put some more modern Jazz in the IS300. The Rush and David Bowie might not make it into the 6CD...

By the way - converted MP3s (to 44Khz 16bit) aren't as good (quality) as CD->CDR copies which were never compressed...

·
Registered
172 Posts
oneeyejack,

I think it depends on the actual cd itself rather than the player.
Some cds I made play fine on any cd players, some only on cd-r/rw rom, and some stopped working all together.
I believe I have one cd that is exactly as you described.
I would recommend to try making a fresh copy from the computer.

BTW, I don't have my IS yet, but like I said, types of manufacturer cd player is irrelevant.
Hope it helps.

-Ben

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyone here heard "The Rock" sountrack?
Its the perfect music to play for spirited driving, especially the track when they had the SF Ferrari 355 chase scene.
Kick A$$ music!
The "Peace Maker" one is pretty good too when they have the MB S coupe chase scene.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Gotta put DMX all the way...."party up!"

I got some burned converted MP3's on mine and its fine. I think the problem would maybe more the CD than the player itself...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Norman Cook-Fatboy Slim
Led Zeppelin (Phys. Graf.)
Widespread Panic (any album)
Pixies (any album)
Phish (Junta)
Vivaldi (my hyperspace button)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does anyone know what brand the CD player/radio in the IS is?

Thanks

[From TEG: The consensus seems to be Pioneer - although some people have said Fujitsu-Ten. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Actually the manufacturer of the cd player definitely makes a difference. Try playing CD-RW's in most car cd players and you'll find they don't work. I have a DVD player that says it doesn't work with CD-R's and sure enough it doesn't work with any of the cd's I've made. BTW - Kenwood's has a car MP3 player that was built to be able to read CD-R's and CD-RW's.

[This message has been edited by chuck_rock (edited July 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chuck_rock,

I know. I have a Sony 10 disc changer in my current car and it didn't wanna play a CD I bruned at work. I tried the same CD at home on my Toshiba DVD player (which are known to not play most CD-R's) and got errors, popped it in an old CD player and worked fine. I think the Kenwood MP3 player is $750 and the Aiwa goes for about $350 (crutchfield.com).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes this is definitely an older crowd but good music stays that way doesn't?

Steely Dan--I have all their stuff on vinyl (if it hasn't melted in my attic) Saw them on VH1 last night. Forgot how good they were.

Gabriel is still a god.

You guys should also check out a band from Pennsylvania called Innocence Mission. Real great stuff.

I coach soccer and was pleased to discover that 17 year olds also listen to Bob Marley, Pink Floyd and the Doors along with their various rap albums. They also love Dave Matthews, as do I, but don't go to a show with them. They socialize throughout the whole thing as if the band is background music. Wierd.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had the same problem with the cheap imation. Plays good for a while then skips. Use Sony, you shouldn't have a problem. Peace

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I went to a Dave Matthews show at Shoreline and they played a usual set... full on performance with no interruptions. I don't know what you mean about "background music".

·
Registered
511 Posts
No Teg, I meant the high school kids treat it like its background music. They are there to socialize. It was like being at a high school football game. They were walking up and down the aisles, talking, etc. I just wanted to watch the show. He put on a great show at Concord Pavilion also. I am a huge fan and can hardly wait until it isn't trendy to see him and he plays a small club or theatre.

[From TEG: Oh yeah - I know what you mean now. I think there are alot of "displaced" dead-heads hanging around and Dave Matthews and Phish concerts wishing Jerry was still around...]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car be popping once i put in my Six CD's consisting of.....
Hootie And The Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Counting Crows - This Desert Life
Nutty Professor II Soundtrack
Ruff Ryders Vol. 2
Kevon Edmonds - 24/7
Funkmaster Flex - Live At The Tunnel

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is the perfect opportunity for me to ask an itching question. TEG, what modern jazz would you recommend? I hear some songs I like on Jazz radio when I go shopping but I could never get the names of the performers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you mean music like you hear on 94.7 (the *rolls eyes* WAVE), then you would probably dig Larry Carlton (Collection) and 4play (4play). Both are good examples of the genre and great discs. Lary Carlton particularly.

As for me -

Counting Crows (August and Everything After)
Dave Matthews Band (Before These Crowded Streets)
Pizzicato Five (Playboy & Playgirl)
Orbital (Insides)
Jurassic Five (Quality Control)
Reel Big Fish (Turn the Radio Off)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
20 Participants
HIBBoyScott
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing